Budapest layover question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on a One World pass next summer. It seems in flying from Kiev to Barcelona, I must make a stop in Budapest. The flight arrives in Budapest at 4:50 PM. The flight out to Barcelona is at 6:45 in the morning.

How is transport into the city and back -- especially early in the morning as I assume I need to be at the airport by 5:15 AM?? I see there is a new hotel right at the airport which would be easier, but it seems it would be nice to go into the city for a nice dinner (I've been to Budapest twice before). Or would it make more sense to stay at the airport and just take a taxi in to do dinner then be at the airport already in the morning. I'm unclear if the new airport hotel is right at the airport, or if it involves a shuttle to get there. . I still have the option of adding a full day between those two flights, but that would mean "stealing" a day from Kiev or Moscow, which I think I'd prefer not to do.
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 02:20 PM

>>How is transport into the city and back -- especially early in the morning as I assume I need to be at the airport by 5:15 <<

Hi Patrick !!!
That's about the time we had to get to the airport this past Sept, because of street closings due to the Budapest Marathon the day we left. Had no trouble at all getting a taxi - our B&B owner took care of it for us. Taxi even arrived 15 mins early (B&B owner said they always arrive early).

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM

I have exactly the same question, arriving from Sarajevo on Malev at 1605 and departing to St Petersburg next morning at 0840.

I hope you don't mind me adding some extra queries. Do the trains go to the airport, how much do cabs cost to the centre, has anyone stayed at the Airport hotel and is the shuttle to it reliable, are there any central hotels with shuttles, how long in advance do we need to be at the airport? All and any relevant info would be gratefully appreciated.

I've stayed in Budapest once before, at the Hotel Charles, but I won't be staying there this time.

Stu - what B&B did you stay at? Your review?

NeoPatrick - have you used OW before? I have used their RTW twice and Global Explorer once if you want any tips, although I'm using Qantas FF for Malev this time.

Cheers Alan, Australia
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 05:17 PM

I assume that you need to be at the airoprt at 4.45am and that you will stay at a downtown hotel if you go into Budapest ? In that case you shouldn't have any issue with a cab/taxi that your hotel will call for you, or better still, use the Airport Shuttle Service that you book as you walk into the arrivals lounge. For 1 price they will drop you to a hotel location (even if you're not staying there) and pick you up again to go back. They give you a number to call them when you're ready. The service is very courteous and reliable, and the vehicles are clean, modern mini-vans. I've used them many times while flying into and out of Budapest at all hours several times.

The airport hotel may be convenient, but there is little else going on there to pass the time, and its a fair distance to go downtown.
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM

>>Stu - what B&B did you stay at? Your review?<<

Kapital Inn
www.kapitalinn.com

Superb

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Trav_Eller, yes, I did a OW pass to Asia this past year -- 14 segments I think it was total.
Since posting this it looks like I can now take a later flight in the mid morning, so it's not quite the issue it would have been. I was trying to avoid the flight from BUD to Barcelona via Madrid -- as it would put me over the total miles I can fly. But I've since realized I should cut my Paris to London flight since I'd rather be doing the Eurostar anyway -- so now I have enough extra miles to go to BCN via Madrid from BUD rather than non stop. Much better timing actually.

The issue with those shuttles you call, is I don't do an international cell phone, and can never figure out getting a local calling card, finding a phone that works, and making a call. I thought I read that there is a train from the airport to downtown now. No?

Mathieu, your comment about "fair distance to go downtown" is exactly why it seems to me to make sense to stay out at the airport hotel if leaving very early in the morning. I'd rather travel that "fair distance" back to my hotel in the evening after dinner just before bed, rather than at 4 or 5 in the morning!
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 07:38 PM

Yes, you could certainly do that, though the Airport Shuttle is safe and reliable enough (as are the roads), to do that trek at 4 or 5 in the morning if you wanted to stay longer downtown and overnight there as well. You may even be able to take in a show, or go to the Opera if something interesting is playing. (I did all that on a 9 hour Budapest layover en route to Cairo a few years ago, flight at around 1.00am)
I'd imagine the airport hotel must have a free pick-up and drop-off from the airport, but if they don't, the shuttle and downtown hotel might be a slightly cheaper option vs. cabbing downtown and back to the airport hotel.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 08:30 AM

I don't see why you can't spend time in Budapest even if your hotel is at the airport. Drop your bags, hire a taxi, go to town, go back late.

Given the early flight time, why tempt fate?
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 12:57 PM
yk

If you are adventurous, you can use public transport to get between the airport and city center for dirt cheap. I did that in May 2009 (from city to airport). Here's what I wrote in my trip report:

-------------------------------

We took Metro Line 3 from Deak Ter to Köbánya-Kispest, which took 20 minutes. When we got off, there are signs pointing to various buses, but NO indication of which bus goes to the airport. Fortunately, per the TI, we knew we needed to catch Bus 200E, so we followed signs for that.

The bus stop (which is a stop for a total of 10 different buses) is about a 600 yard walk, and we had to take a pedestrian-bridge to get there. There are escalators UP, stairs DOWN. According to the bus schedule posted at the stop, 200E runs every 10-12 minutes, depending on time of day. We waited for 10 minutes.

The bus is fairly modern, with luggage racks. Seriously, I think we were the only non-locals doing this route! The ride is fairly long with multiple stops on the way. Terminal ONE comes first - make sure you know which terminal you need - as T1 is over a mile away from T2!!! You do not want to get off at the wrong terminal! There are at least 2 more stops between T1 and T2, with T2 being the last and final stop of the route. Terminals 1 and 2 stops are announced in English, but not the other stops on the route. While there is 2A and 2B for T2, there are connected and there is only one stop for both.

The bus ride to T2 took 25 minutes. Therefore, the entire trip from Deak Ter to T2 took 55 minutes total. If using single-ride tickets, the trip uses TWO tickets: 1 for metro, 1 for Bus 200E; for a total of 580HUF.

Would I recommend this? Yes, but only if you travel light.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 11:27 PM

NeoPatrick thank you for posting this... the answers have been very helpful for me, too! I am trying to figure out "easy" transfers from the airport to a hotel near Deak Square. We are not traveling light, as YK says, so I think the bus/train is not for us. Can someone comment on the price of the airport shuttle for 6, vs. the price of a cab (we would need 2) for the same trip? THANKS!!
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 02:54 AM

On taxi costs, this is in the "directions" section of the Kapital Inn website mentioned by Stu Dudley:

"Although we are easily accessible by public transportation, the most convenient way to reach Kapital Inn is by taxi. Assuming you are flying to Budapest, the taxis from the airport are inexpensive and the fares are fixed, so we highly recommend this option. Your fare will cost exactly 24 Euros from the airport to Kapital Inn and 16 Euros from Kapital Inn to the airport (or 5,200 Forints and 3,600 Forints respectively). These rates change frequently, so for up-to-date info please consult the Főtaxi website (http://fotaxi.eu/eng.html). Money can be exchanged at the airport, or for better rates in the city."

Cheers, Alan
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 03:13 AM

I recall making it from our hotel on the Buda side waterfront, to the airport, in under 30 minutes by taxi. It was for a 4am flight arranged with the hotel the night before and the road - pretty close to a straight shot - was very quiet at that time of the morning.

We were just as glad to be able to walk out that last evening, but still, you never know. I can see the rationale of not wanting to risk have something go wrong on an early morning airport run.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 03:18 AM

By the way, thanks Patrick for mentioning the OW rules. I thought I'd read somewhere that if you had to do a connection, that you'd only be dinged for the miles "as the crow flies" between your departure and arrival cities of that route (as opposed to each segment), as long as there was no planned stopover. But it's been a while since I'd considered and read about their rules, and even back then, that was for a RTW. Making a mental record of that. A pass may come in handy for us someday.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Maybe this question will be of use to others, but meanwhile I have now booked my full OW ticket and I now fly from Kiev to Budapest to Madrid where I'll spend my overnight, then fly on to Barcelona the next day.

Yes, Clifton, the route you use for segments even when not doing a stopover does count up as miles traveled.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Thanks NeoPatrick. Kiev, eh? Interesting!
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 01:42 AM

An off-topic note on OW as the subject has come up. There are two methods on OW; the one NeoPatrick used which involves mileage as he has described, and the one which has no mileage limits but is based on flight legs per continent. The latter is a fraction more expensive for a full rtw trip, but can be more flexible. I've used both.

Cheers, Alan