Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 full days in Zermatt / Suggestion for easy hikes

May 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

We are visiting Rome, Venice & Zermatt at the end of July for 10 days. We are a group of 4 – me and my wife in early 30s and my parents in their 60s & 70s. We are looking to spend 3 full days in Zermatt as we arrive on Wednesday night and leave Zermatt on Sunday morning for flight back. We would like to visit scenic spots and do some easy hikes not more than 2-3 hours and preferably with very limited ascent/descent.

My preliminary research suggest that we could plan one day each around visiting (i) gornegrat , (ii) matterhorn glacier paradise and (iii) sunegga/rothorn paradise and combine lifts/gondola rides with walks in these areas. However, I will really appreciate if you could suggest some easy walks in these regions which we fit in during our 3 days. Any suggestions to structure our time in a better way will be more than welcome.
May 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Some suggestions plz
May 28th, 2012, 01:02 AM

Here are a few ideas, based on our trips to Zermatt....

1) Take the train to Gornergrat, but de-train at Riffelalp and take the 10 minute walk to the Riffelalp Resort, which sits in an enviable position at an elevation of 7,290 feet, directly facing the Matterhorn. Perhaps have a coffee or something at the alfresco cafe there, then walk back to the station and catch the train to Rotenboden, where you can de-train for a look see and a poke around. There are some walks that originate from Rotenboden, but we were there in winter and sledded instead, so I don't have any specific suggestions for you there.

Then catch the train for the last leg of the journey, which will deposit you at the top of the Gornergrat. Perhaps have some lunch, or a glass of wine and soak up the gorgeous scenery.

Next take the train down to Rotenboden, and walk the wanderweg back down to Riffelberg. This is a beautiful easy walk, the views are incredible (1.75 miles).

From Riffelberg you can catch the train back to Zermatt.

2) Take the underground funicular to Sunnegga and locate the wanderweg to Tuftern. We loved, loved, loved this trail, which led through forest alongside a ridge with expansive views of the majestic Matterhorn. Perhaps stop at the Tifterm Restaurant (more of an alfresco cafe) to soak up the views and gaze at the deer and chamois which gather below the restaurant at a feeding station (in winter anyway, not sure about summer), then backtrack to Sunnegga (two miles round trip, easy).

At Sunnegga, take the cable car to Blauherd, maybe have lunch at the Blauherd restaurant, or continue walking the wanderweg to Fluhalp. This one is a bit more challenging, all uphill. It's located on Rothorn Mountain surrounded by the ski runs of Rothorn Paradise. There's a lovely restaurant at Fluhalp, which makes the perfect rest stop before turning around and backtracking to Blauherd (four miles return), then take the funicular back to Zermatt.

I have a few more, I'll look them up and come back.
May 28th, 2012, 01:14 AM

Okay, here's another one:

Walk to the Furi cable station and catch the gondola to Furi, then walk to Z'Mutt, where you'll find a cute alfresco cafe and some incredible views. Continue walking towards the reservoir, where you'll pass a glacial blue lake, and continue on to Kalbermatten, which takes you along the base of the Matterhorn. You can then turn back to Z'Mutt and Furi, to take the cable car back to Zermatt, or continue walking all the way to Zermatt. We did the latter, and the whole walk took us about 4.5 hours. The return walk is downhill, but steep.
May 28th, 2012, 01:21 AM

And whatever you do, don't do what we did. Which was miss the last gondola down from the Klein Matterhorn (actually we were at the second highest stop - Trockener Steg) and have to walk down from there to Zermatt in fading light (4500 vertical feet). Actually it was a beautiful hike but might be a touch much for your parents.

I see they have now added a couple of later runs in the summer.

We also took the furnicular up to Sunnegga and walked over to the Gornegrat. But again that might be a bit much.
May 28th, 2012, 01:24 AM

Here's another one we've taken, but I can't find my notes, so here's the write-up on it. As I recall, it was pretty steep.

http://www.zermatt.net/hoehenweg/en/01.html
May 28th, 2012, 01:25 AM

Hey cold - any details on that Sunnegga to Gornergrat walk? (for purely selfish reasons).
May 28th, 2012, 01:31 AM

Hi Melnq8 - I'll have to find a map. A bit downhill from the furnicular, then up, then level. Left to right. About 3 hours. I bet that helps hee hee.

I will look it up later today and when you wake up tomorrow it will be here (I hope).
May 28th, 2012, 01:47 AM

Melnq8 - I am sure you have seen this map. We took the orange trail (19) from Sunnegga to Riffelalp. It was a very easy trail with a net descent of 200 feet, although there is some climbing at about the 1/3 mark.

The only thing a real hiker might not like was that the last part was on more of a dirt road whereas the first part was more single track hiking. If it took us three hours it was only because my SIL is allergic to exercise.

http://files.gadmin.ch/15893?CFID=15...TOKEN=45331960
May 28th, 2012, 02:42 AM

Still awake here, it's only 6:30, even I can stay up later than that

I take a look thanks.

Furnicular, huh? LOL
May 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Ohhh Melnq8 those are some great suggestions and thanks a lot for that. I have dine some more research in Past few days and from Sunnegga, both walks to tuftern and findlen have come recommended so it's helpful to get your views on the former.

Thanks for the tips on Gornegrat day, was struggling with it apart from 30 min round stroll to riffelsee that I had found. And thanks also for recommending Zmutt walk, need to tie that to Klein Matterhorn day. Let me come back with some specific questions on some of these.

Thanks colduphere for our tip, will definitely keep an eye on he watch
May 28th, 2012, 04:14 PM

Oops. To clarify...

We rented sleds at Rotenboden, then sledded down to Riffelberg on the way up. On the return to Zermatt, we did the walk from Rotenboden to Riffelberg as mentioned above. All those R's get me confused.

Full details here, plus many more walks in the BO.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-walkabout.cfm

We once walked to Findlen, but we walked up from Zermatt instead of taking the funicular. It was a bit of a challenge as it was icy and we could barely stay upright, but should be no problem in July.

You can also access Z'Mutt from Zermatt by taking the trail which begins near the Zermatt gravel quarry, and then leads uphill to the right. It takes about an hour to reach Z’mutt. Then it's another 30 minutes from there to Furi, which has a nice restaurant. From Furi, it's a 45 minute walk back down to Zermatt.
May 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM

This might help too:

http://www.walkingswitzerland.com/ma...gion_walks.php