Swiss Scenic Trains

Search

Swiss Scenic Trains

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss Scenic Trains

I will be in Frankfurt on business and will have my husband join me at the end of the trip for a week. We would like to travel by train to Switzerland and spend some of the time on a panoramic train ride through the mountains. We will be flying back out of Frankfurt so it will be a round trip and very short for this endeavor. We will be traveling from Frankfurt on Sunday May 1st and need to be back in Frankfurt on Sunday May 8th to catch a flight out on Monday morning.

What would you suggest as the most scenic trip spending short overnights or maybe one day in a few towns/villages. We love the idea of taking the scenic trains. I would like to go as far as Geneve but I don't think we have the time. Thanks, Diane
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 02:15 PM

Switzerland is probably the most scenic country in the world and so many general train rides will include great scenery. However, if you are looking for the MOST scenic ride (and a ride literately designed for tourists who want a scenic train ride) you would have to take the Glacier Express. It goes over 291 bridges and offers the most beautiful views but takes around 7 hours. As i said, it's literally designed for the views, not for actual transportation which is why its so slow I believe it takes you from Zermatt (which is already BEAUTIFUL when sunny) to either Davos or St. Moritz. Any train to Zermatt will already give you wonderful views, especially coming from the North. However, while in Zermatt you should take advantage of the many observation points accessible via gondolas and ski lifts. A train from the North to Geneva will give you pleasant views of the Swiss wine country around the Lake of Geneva which is also beautiful and serene. If want something more dramatic than just a train ride and do not want to spend 7 hours on the glacier express, than i recommend going to the summit of the Jungfraujoch. It is also astounding (MUSTTTT HAVE GOOD WEATHER!!!). It typically requires you take a train to Interlaken (beautiful area) then to Grindelwald, then to Kleine Scheidegg and then to the summit of the Jungfrau. It is MUCH less complicated than it sounds and most of the rides are rather short. Check out SBB.CH and click the EN button on the top of the page to look at train prices, schedules, etc. The Jungfraujoch is the highest point you can travel to in Europe and includes the most panoramic views of the glacier and surrounding area. However, i can't caution enough that the the alps are astounding with good weather but quite dreadful when foggy/rainy! So please take this into consideration
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the information. Diane
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM

We rode the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur and didn't see much as it rained or snowed the whole time. I loved the rolling countryside we saw on a train trip from Zurich to Stein-am-Rhein, which is almost to the German border. We loved riding the trains but were actually not as impressed with the scenery as we had thought we would be, though it was lovely. We did love going up to the Jungfraujoch. Lots of fun, and beautiful views.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Hi DianeEubanks,

After about 15 trips to Switzerland since 1995, I finally took the Glacier Express last year. I really wasn't all that impressed. The best part is its highest bit, imo, the part between Andermatt and Disentis, but the rest of it was no better than any train trip through the Alps. In fact, I had just come from Innsbruck to Scuol, and that train trip was more scenic, I thought.

My two favorite scenic trains in Switzerland are the Bernina Express between St. Moritz and Poschiavo (down in the southeastern part of the country) and the Golden Pass between Interlaken and Montreux (from the central part to the western part).

But truly, the scenery is better if you are outside in the open air on the top of a mountain! Get to a mountain, take a cable car or cog-wheel train to the top, and soak up the views. Much better than a rolling ride through!

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 01:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Topping..agree that Bernina is good..ALL the way and not just the segment described but that would put you down into Italy.