Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland - Trip for 8 days with 2 kids (5&3)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Travelers,

I plan to visit Switzerland in the month of July for 8 days excluding travel days. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids ages 5 &3. Can you please provide a itinerary that would work for 88 days?

I would like to go to the chocolate factory and ride on Glacier express. I also need to visit friends in Solothurn.

All your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 10:35 AM

forget the Glacier Express IME - much much overhyped - there are many more scenic and as scenic trains in Switzerland - such as those in the fabulous Jungfrau Region around Interlaken - to me and many the absolute highlight of Switzerland - glacier-girdled peaks rising thousands of feet above lush cow-dotted meadows - toylike trains and aerial gondolas going off in all directions - spend say 3-4 days there in a mountain village like Wengen - a favorite with families with kids play areas, municipal pool and quiet as no cars are allowed in - easy to get to by train however.

There are loads of nice short easy excursions to do in the Jungfrau Region - such as lake boats on the two lakes bookending Interlaken and taking the train to the Jungfraujoch - Europe's highest train station and a land of perpetual snow and ice - walk to the nearby glacier - kids can frolic in the snow, etc.

Start maybe in the Jungfrau Region then take the Golden Pass - another one of Switzerland's legendary scenic trains to Montreux - onlove Lake Geneva - stay there for a few days - the Chocolate Train - another special tourist scenic train goes from there to the Broc chocolate factory for a Willy Wonkesque tour - don't fall in!

Spend the final two nights in Solothurn and that's 8 lovely days - get an 8-consecutive-day Swiss Pass and a free Family Card that comes with it - kids never pay a dime for anything the adults use the pass on - even if the adults just get a discount as on aerial gondolas - 50% usually.

For lots of goodies on Swiss trains and the Jungfrau Region: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Images of the wondrous Jungfrau Region:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jung...=1600&bih=1075

To take the Glacier Express would mean going way of this rather compact loop and IMO though nice not as scenic as trains in the Jungfrau Region by far.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 12:59 PM

If you really want to take the Glacier Express scratch the Jungfrau Region and go to Zermatt, which also has awesome Alpine scenes, including the famous iconic Matterhorn (but IMO not nearly as many varied things to do as in the Jungfrau Region) - but then you can catch the GE for its 8-hour marathon run to St Moritz/Davos.

The Engadine around St Moritz is really nice too but it will take you another day to get back to central Switzerland - but it takes you way to the other side of Switzerland.

I'd consider the Jungfrau Region as to what you should revolve your trip itinerary around.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your feedback!
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 09:33 PM

Hi mridula_gokulnath,

I would try to have only two major stops with only 8 days (7 nights?) and two small children. Remember that you will lose about half a day with each move just to pack up in one hotel and check out, then check in at the next hotel and unpack. It will probably take even longer with your two young children.

You can reach the chocolate factory in Broc (actually the train stop is Broc Fabrique) from Solothurn -- travel time is right at 2h each direction.

So your two bases might be somewhere in the Jungfrau region (Wengen) and then Solothurn. Alternately, you could base in one place that is central and do day-trips out from there; two possible central spots are Bern or Thun.

I agree that the Glacier Express is over-hyped. I wouldn't waste 8h sitting passively inside a train -- I'd get outside and get those scenic views first-hand!

It would be helpful to know how you're leaving the country and where you need to be for that.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 05:43 AM

Bern and Thun are nice cities but staying up in dem hills in a place like Wengen or Grindelwald will fulfill the picture of Switzerland perhaps etched in your minds' eyes - an Alpine Wonderland unfolding from your hotel balcony.

Bern is a really nice nice city and Thun too but IMO stay in the hills - also much more relaxing than any large city.

I agree with swandav about perhaps basing in Solothurn and shooting over to the Broc Factory for the chocolate tour from there - two bases is max - hard relocating with kids that age - and I think you'll find a Wengen so much more relaxing than any large city.
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 06:13 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=weng...=1600&bih=1075

Yes stay in a place like Wengen rather than Interlaken or any nearby city - a whole different world - an unforgettable experience rather than just staying in yet another nice city.
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 08:54 AM

I agree that the Glacier Express is over-hyped. I wouldn't waste 8h sitting passively inside a train -- I'd get outside and get those scenic views first-hand!>

especialy so with kids 3 and 5 years old - on a train for 8 hours!!
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Kids of that age will however love taking one of those iconic Swiss lake boats - a float to anywhere - it will thrill them and yous too!