Sweden and Denmark

Search

Sweden and Denmark

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweden and Denmark

We are in Stockholm for 5 nights then denmark for 6 nights then stockholm 5 nights. We are taking 4 20-24 year olds. Should we stay in Stockhlm and Copenhagen and take day trips or not? Should we go to Visby? What are some fabulous hotels at a good price? the 20 year olds are very experienced and flexible travelers.
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:17 PM

When will you be traveling? If it's the summer definitely do Visby. As an Old Geezer I don't know the "scene" for 20ish types.... but I understand both Copenhagen and Stockholm have their "hip" spots.
Fabulous? at a "good" price in Stockholm? Dream on......
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:31 AM
MNP

For Demark, with 6 days, I would say yes, stay in Copenhagen and take some day trips... Check out

Kronborg Castle (Hamlets castle) in Helsingor,

Fredricksborg Castle in Hillerod,

Viking ship museum and the cathedral in Roskilde

There are handfuls of other little treasures of day trips from Copenhagen, but those would be my suggestions..

You could hit The first two on the same day (buy a 24 hour railpass, its cheaper then paying for the fares individually for all that travel for the day)

There is lots that the 20-24 year olds can do and easy to find hip spots all over the place.
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM

wjlawfirm: As I calculate it, you will have a total of ten days in Stockholm, five before and five after Copenhagen. I wouldn't presume to tell you how much time to spend here, but ten days might be a bit much unless you just want to kickback for a while. There aren't many day trips from Stockholm. You can do Sigtuna and Uppsala in a single day. Sigtuna is, well, "cute" and very touristy. The Cathedral at Upsalla is spectacular, but there is little else to see or do there. The University offers a few old buildings to visit and the old town is all but covered over by progress. I think about four days does Stockholm very nicely unless you are into the "kickback". Insert Stockholm in the search window above for tons of info (my own included) about Stockholm.
You might want to consider the ferry to Helsinki for a two or three day trip. The trip is beautiful and Helsinki is a very nice, city with a cathedral, Senate Square, an open air market and a skansen to amuse. Again, the search window for more information.
By all means go to Visby. This was one of the highlights of our Scandinavian Sojurn. You will all like Visby. Worth a couple of days. The search window!
When leaving Visby, take the ferry to Oskarshamn and drive down to Kalmar Castle. One of the most beautiful in Europe IMHO. Search window!
From Kalmar, drive to Copenhagen along the coast. This is a very pretty ride, but I don't know how 20-24 year olds will enjoy it. No real sites along the way. You could go by way of Vaxjo and catch one of the glass works and the 300 year old paper mill at Lessebo, but, again, don't know if the youmg folks will think that is great. I would either picnic on the way or shoot for Lund as a lunch stop.
Helsingor is beautiful from the exterior, less so inside. Its relationship to Shakespeare is dubious at best. If you take the Vaxjo route, you can pass it on the ferry to Copenhagen.
Frederiksborg Castle on the other hand is spectacular inside and out. Once more, the search window.
We stayed at the Hotel Gamla Stan in Stockholm, the Slotts Hotellet at Kalmar, the the Strand at Visby and the Danmark in Copenhagen. Doen't know if I would call them "fabulous", but they had character, were very well located and were reasonably priced and that's what we look for. Have a great trip and don't forget the search window.
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:47 PM

hi there! having lived in Sth for 40yrs i should know this . Yeah both Stockholm and CPH is reaally trendy and hip cities both of them but skip all the trips to see different cathedrals, castles and these touristic stuff.stay in these cities and explore! also go to Visby and shall you only do one trip out on the countryside you must see Fårö! thats the small island just north of Gotland where Ingmar Bergman lives itīs just incredibly beautiful and very exotic donīt miss

/Jacob