Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suprise 40th for my husband...help required!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone

Ive just joined this forum and in need of some help from all you well travelled people.

Next year i want to surprise my husband and take himto the Monaco Grand Prix. The race just happens to be the first day of our holiday when we would be flyingto Italy for a 2 week trip.

Im trying to plan that we fly to Nice on the Saturday 25th May ( day before the grand prix) watch the race on the sunday and the get over to Italy either that day or the following day.

(Bearing in mind we will have 2 big cases as we are away for 2 weeks.)

My other plan was to fly direct to Italy fomr the uk ( Rome or Pisa) book into a hotel to dump our stuff and then try to get over to France - so sort of doing it backwards..that way our luggage is already in Italy!

Ive looked at all sorts of options but im really struggling to find the easiest route.

Any ideas would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks Guys
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

I think ive found a route.....

Fly from Manchester to nice - BA £89.00 - stay over night

Grand Prix on Sunday - stay over night.

Monaco - Ventimiglia - Pisa

Can anyone see any issues with this route...have i missed something???
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 03:37 AM

I would suggest cutting amount or size of luggage if you are moving around a lot in Italy. If you have just one or two bases, not such a big deal.

Also, stay in Nice both nights, no need to move for the Grand Prix, Monaco is very short trip from Nice by bus or train.

Then, morning after the race, take the train from Nice to Pisa.

Have fun, great surprise!
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for the advise...im just looking at Nice to Monaco and i agree, i think staying over in Nice and getting the train in and out of Monaco seems like the best option.

We havent planned our Italy trip as yet but i think it will probably only be a couple of bases...but i will def be re thinking the luggage option!
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 04:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to be aware that most hotels in the area will be very busy and you should book them as soon as you can, like now! You might also find that prices are very high for the Grand Prix weekend. Due to the obvious road closures in Monaco you need to carefully plan the trip into Monte Carlo to ensure that you can get to see some of the race.

Balconies of buildings overlooking the course are at a premium and vantage points at street level are very crowded and you can end up with seeing very little and only hearing the cars as they as they go past.

Try to find one of the firms that provides trips for the Grand Prix, but brace yourself for the bill!
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 05:20 AM
ira

Hi H,

>Bearing in mind we will have 2 big cases as we are away for 2 weeks.<

For two weeks, my Lady Wife and I would have 2 carryon bags. At most, one large and one carryon.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 06:20 AM

Agree that 2 carryon bags will be plenty. You will be very happy if you don't have to lug big bags onto trains and drag them around. We usually travel 17-20 days and never take more than a 21" bag.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the advise Rubicund but im trying to do this as cheap as possible as we have 2 weeks in Italy straight after.. i have looked at the package on Thomas Cook and its over £800!

I might up the ticket for a seated ticket, then at least i hope we will get to see some of the race!
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 08:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't help with the plans, but you definitely don't need two large suitcases for two weeks of travel!!

Each person packs in a 24" rolling bag is plenty. If you aren't sure how to do that, just search this forum for packing tips.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Morning Guys

Thanks Suze, i will have a browse later on!

Im all booked, booked the flights, hotel and GP seats!!!

Now i just have to keep a secret for 8 months...thats the hard part!!