COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Supermarket Souvenirs

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Supermarket Souvenirs

When I travel, I particularly love to visit supermarkets. Most of my souvenirs are given in the form of interesting/ odd/ delicious looking items plucked off the shelves. I can tell you that they are always appreciated, but not always as tasty as they may look.
Can any of you give me some names of products that you enjoy? Items that we can't get in the US?
I posted this on the London forum and received many great ideas!
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

This was supposed to be posted in the Amsterdam forum.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 05:49 PM

There is no Amsterdam forum (nor London forum), simply a Europe forum. I've asked the editors to add a tag for Netherlands.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM

I bought decorated delft style design tins of stroopwaffles, carmel filled waffle cookies, yummy.They have them in the airport too.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 01:24 AM

In the Netherlands we have a lot of choclate (sprinkle) sandwich spreads. Maybe fun to buy a few of these?

http://www.deruijter.nl/producten/ch...agel-puur.aspx
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 10:34 AM

Typical products you will find in any Dutch supermarket: stroopwafels, drop (liquorice, either salt or sweet. Brands: Venco, Klene, Autodrop, ...), hopjes (Rademakers), hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles, by Venz or de Ruijter), muisjes (anise sprinkles), ontbijtkoek (gingerbread, Peijnenburg), snert a.k.a. erwtensoep (green pea soup, UNOX), rolmops (pickled herring filet, Ouwehand, usually sold in a jar. Might be a problem with customs in the US?). When in season: kruidnoten (Bolletje), chocolate letters (any brand), speculaas.

Most supermarkets also sell alcoholic drinks. Beer (Grolsch, Brand, Hertog-Jan) or higher-percentage alcoholic drinks (Jenever, Boerenjongens, Advocaat, and so on).