Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sunday markets near Saint Geyrac, Dordogne.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for info about a Sunday market near Saint Geyrac. I have read that the market in Rouffignac occurs on Sunday and I'm trying to confirm. We arrive in SG on Saturday and want to go to a market to provision our villa first thing on Sunday! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, we are there in early September. Thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 09:00 AM

The Rouffignac market is Sunday. Plazac, Friday.
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, we are there in early September. Thanks!>

You've got the best already from someone who has lived in the area since there were pirranahas in the Dordogne River.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 01:11 AM

BTW, there will be a big brocante Sunday, September 3, in La Roque-Gageac if that's of any interest to you. You could combine it with a gabare trip for a nice day out.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 06:35 PM

2018 repeat?

Originally Posted by StCirq
BTW, there will be a big brocante Sunday, September 3, in La Roque-Gageac if that's of any interest to you. You could combine it with a gabare trip for a nice day out.

StCirq-I will be arriving in St. Geyrac Sat 9/1/18 Will the above mentioned market and big brocante happen on Sunday 9/2/18?
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 04:18 AM

Yes, sorry, it's September 2 - the vide-grenier/brocante, that is. I don't know if there's a market in La Roque-Gageac on Sundays, but even if there is I wouldn't bother with it - it's not a notable market town. Rouffignac is. There are also vide-greniers in Lalinde and Payzac on September 2. All of the information regarding markets and brocantes/vide-greniers is readily available online.

Saint-Geyrac is kind of out of the loop for markets and events in the Périgord, which isn't a bad thing, but you're going to have to travel to attend things.

This weekend is the félibrée, BTW, the fascinating annual celebration of Occitan culture, this year being held in St-Cyprien. We are going tomorrow.

Polit nadal e bona annada !
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 05:19 AM

StCirq: thank you. Just to confirm my translating is correct.......is a brocante similar to a flea market? Polit nadal e bona annada-Merry Christmas in Occitan? The felibree looks like an interesting experience based on what I saw on utube.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 09:04 AM

There are 3 categories of "old stuff" for sale in France: 1) antiquités = antiques, and usually expensive stuff récupéré from chateaux and manor houses and carefully refinished and sold at high prices; 2) brocantes = second-hand stuff, often very nice, sometimes nicely refurbished, usually at good prices; and 3) vide-greniers = yard sales, where it's not impossible to find a few treasures for just a few euros.

Yes, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, but I meant to say A la bona santat! (cheers!)

If you can get to the félibrée, I'd go. It's unique in the world and quite a good time, and the weather should be lovely tomorrow. The traditional feast (toulada) begins at 12:30, and there will be exhibitions all afternoon. The morning will be devoted to the traditional mass and the parade of the newly elected Queen of the Félibrée. We'll go to the brocante in Les Eyzies late morning and head over to catch the félibrée mid-afternoon.