Sunday in London ideas

Search

Sunday in London ideas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2023, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday in London ideas

My family and I will be arriving in London early July on a Sunday afternoon and we are staying a week. We will be flying in from Athens, Greece so we will have already adjusted from the jet lag. It's my daughters first visit (not the adults). Initially, I was hoping we could do a Fat Tire Bike tour to get a nice overview of some of the city that afternoon. However, their last tour starts at 3:30pm and I'm not sure we'd make it in time (landing at 1:50pm at Gatwick and still have to get luggage, customs and then Tube into city,, drop luggage at hotel). Therefore, instead of the hop on/off tourist buses that my hubby and I did our first trip, I was thinking of possibly taking the public bus #11 so she can get a sense of some of the areas, but unsure what else to do since it's a Sunday. (we will be hitting Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Rooms, a museum and Windsor Castle during the week).

One idea was to walk by Buckingham Palace since we don't plan on seeing the changing of the guards or maybe checking out some Harry Potter things in the city (Kings Cross Platform 9 3/4 and possibly Leadenhall Market) She is not obsessed with HP and we are originally from Los Angeles, so she has done the Warner Bros tour there. Her only HP interest is to do the photo op at Kings Cross. I realize it's in a north part of the city and not really near anything else we plan to do during the week. I'm not married to any of these ideas, so any suggestions?
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 04:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Random comments and questions:

• Where are you staying? That could make a big difference what sites make sense.

• How old is your daughter?

• "(landing at 1:50pm at Gatwick and still have to get luggage, customs and then Tube into city,, drop luggage at hotel)."
There is no tube from LGW into London. It will be a mainline train -- could be to one of a few different stations so it depends on where you are staying.

• the #11 bus is fine but I'd rather not sit on a bus my first afternoon in London. That is just me but depending on the weather -- there are lots of other options - again depending on where you are staying.

• Kings Cross is not at all 'remote'. It is quite convenient from almost every corner of the city by tube. It is only about a mile from the British Museum and 500 yards from the British Library.
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj. We are staying at the Premier Inn near Victoria Station. My daughter is 12. My mistake about taking the Tube from Gatwick to Victoria Station. I stand corrected and we will be taking the train there. Was trying not to do the hop on/off bus primarily since we wouldn't be hopping off much since it's a Sunday and some spots (Westminster Abbey for example) are not open for tours that day. My husband thought she would enjoy riding on a double decker, even if it's just a short bit and not the entire route and getting a chance to see some of the squares. Would love other options than sitting on a bus.

As for Kings Cross, we've been to the British Museum and Library prior and unfortunately neither sound that interesting to my daughter (she would love to explore the V&A instead). I've heard that museums on weekends can be especially busy. If that isn't accurate, please share.

Thanks for your help and suggestions
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 06:02 PM

How about doing one of the walking tours with London Walks? They typically have a Secret Soho walk, a Jack the Ripper walk and perhaps another. They do a fantastic job! My teens loved all the walking tours we did!
​​​​​​https://www.walks.com/

You also could try the theater! Tickets in London are better priced than the U.S. and there are always great shows!

Or, there may be a concert at St. Martin's: https://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/about-our-music/
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 06:19 PM

Just quick (again ) since I'm leaving for a few hours.

That hotel is so convenient -- There is a train from LGW to Victoria and then about a 3 minute walk to the hotel.

IME the museums are busy on weekends but later in the afternoon things seem to thin out a bit. The V&A is large enough that it can absorb even very large crowds.

If the weather is nice I'd consider a nice circular walk from the hotel -- Hotel > Buckingham Palace > St James's Park/The Mall > Horseguard's Parade > down Whitehall > Big Ben/Parliament/Westminster Abbey > Victoria Tower Gardens > Hotel -- about 3 miles in total. A bit longer if you detour in to Trafalgar Square.

Or if the weather is dreck - go to the National Gallery or the National Portrait Gallery (the Portrait Gallery will have just re-opened in Late June after a three year closure/redevelopment).

It will be daylight soooooooo late that you could do one of the museums and then walk all evening if you want.
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 06:26 PM

didn't see lrice's post re theatre and St Martin's-in-the-Field. The issue would be Sunday -- there ARE more shows on Sundays than there used to be but most are matinees so not doable. And AFAIK S-M-i-t-F doesn't do concerts on Sundays -- it would be an Evensong service.
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Lrice thanks! We have theater tickets later in the week, but I'll look into London walks.

Last edited by kimberlyb; Mar 7th, 2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Just quick (again ) since I'm leaving for a few hours.

That hotel is so convenient -- There is a train from LGW to Victoria and then about a 3 minute walk to the hotel.

IME the museums are busy on weekends but later in the afternoon things seem to thin out a bit. The V&A is large enough that it can absorb even very large crowds.

If the weather is nice I'd consider a nice circular walk from the hotel -- Hotel > Buckingham Palace > St James's Park/The Mall > Horseguard's Parade > down Whitehall > Big Ben/Parliament/Westminster Abbey > Victoria Tower Gardens > Hotel -- about 3 miles in total. A bit longer if you detour in to Trafalgar Square.

Or if the weather is dreck - go to the National Gallery or the National Portrait Gallery (the Portrait Gallery will have just re-opened in Late June after a three year closure/redevelopment).

It will be daylight soooooooo late that you could do one of the museums and then walk all evening if you want.
Janisj, This is excellent! Thank you!
Curious, what's your opinion on Leadenhall Market? Not sure much there is open on a Sunday, so if we went it would be to walk through. Also, any recommendations on a Market to check out later in the week (was thinking maybe to head to Borough Market for lunch after our morning visit to the Tower of London on Monday. Thoughts?)

Last edited by kimberlyb; Mar 7th, 2023 at 08:19 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 09:31 PM

I wouldn't bother with Leadenhall on a Sunday. As for Borough Market -- Monday wouldn't be best -- it would mostly be only the permanent store fronts open.
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 10:36 PM

A boat ride, say, between Westminster and the Tower?
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/river
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 10:48 PM

Another idea would be to take the Thames Clipper a few stops to see things from the river.

There is a summer festival near Tower Bridge called Summer by the River. Live music, theatre, food stalls.. the schedule is not up yet for this year, but you could take the Clipper down to that area and then eat some street food and enjoy the views and lively atmosphere.

‘For the Monday market, how about Spitalfields? It’s not a food market like Borough, but they have a lot of food stalls and it’s not far from the Tower of London. https://www.spitalfields.co.uk
(my favorite place there is Yum Bun… so good)

From there you could walk to Shoreditch after and check out some street art.

The thing about scheduling a tour that day you arrive is, what if your flight is late? What if there are train delays? What if you are exhausted by the journey? Better not plan too much and take it as it comes.

Old Mar 7th, 2023, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickLondon
A boat ride, say, between Westminster and the Tower?
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/river
I guess we were thinking the same thing at the same time Patrick!
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 06:19 AM

We visited London with our kids when they were a few years younger than yours.
One thing we did that they thought was fun was to rent a boat from goboat in the Paddington Basin just north of Paddington station.
It's a fun little area and there are outdoor cafes to buy a snack or a meal from.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick and Rialtogrl! Great ideas. I'll look into a boat ride. Might be nice after the walk that Janisj suggested. Spitalfields might be a great choice since it appears to have more than just food, which might appeal to my daughter. I've never been to that area either. Is it easier to walk there from the Tower of London or take tube/bus?
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jennifer Travels. l will keep this in mind as well.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 08:12 AM

If you are going on the boat from Westminster to the Tower (a great suggestion) then it is only a short walk to Leadenhall so you may as well have a look. A quaint place I used to walk though most days on my way to the office but not a lot there really. Also close by in the Fenchurch Building is https://skygarden.london . I think you probably need to book online but it is free.

If going to KX for Platform 9 3/4, Coal Drops yard is right there. Loads of restaurants, outdoor cinema in the summer and plenty of stuff for kids. Some will likely be too young for your daughter but she may enjoys the Samsung KX place - https://www.kingscross.co.uk/things-...at-kings-cross
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 08:19 AM

Don't forget Brick Lane Market on Sundays.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 09:45 AM

There are a lot of great Sunday suggestions in the various responses. However many (most) are at the opposite ends of London from your Premier Inn. After several hours in transit -- sure, it isn't overnight transatlantic but you'll still have about 8 hours total transit time including the 4 hour flight plus all the travel/security/immigration/luggage 'stuff' at both ends, is that what you really want to do?? I personally wouldn't want to take even more transport after an early wake up call and sitting in buses/airports/planes/trains for the best part of a day.

Old Mar 8th, 2023, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kimberlyb
Thanks Patrick and Rialtogrl! Great ideas. I'll look into a boat ride. Might be nice after the walk that Janisj suggested. Spitalfields might be a great choice since it appears to have more than just food, which might appeal to my daughter. I've never been to that area either. Is it easier to walk there from the Tower of London or take tube/bus?
it’s a mile. You can walk in 20 minutes, but there are buses, tube and taxi if you are too tired.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 02:27 PM

I think I'd just go for a walk along South Bank, it is always lively with things going on, street food, old pubs, restaurants, great views. Nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Have something to eat at Oxo Tower or Le Pont de la Tour. Or for something more lively, how about a trip on a Thames Rocket. A visit to HMS Belfast maybe.