Study in Prague next semester?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay-my son has a chance to study in Prague next semester(he is now in Italy) and our family is wondering from experienced travelers to that region -would you go from January to May (weather?).I know from this board that alot of people have enjoyed Prague but would appreciate any thoughts before he changes programs.( He would have a chance to do an internship and take courses more applicable to his major.)Thanks!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Hello,
I know that Prague is cold in the winter but I've heard it is beautiful in the snow. As long as he has a warm winter jacket, scarves, gloves, he should be fine. My daughter is studying abroad in Prague right now and absolutely loves it!! I think your son should go. We visited our daughter in October and love Prague...it is so beautiful. My daughter has also done a lot of traveling. She went to Oktoberfest in Munich, Budapest, different places in the Czech Republic, and she came with us to Poland. She is going to Berlin this weekend. It's convenient to travel to other countries from Prague. Eastern Europe is also inexpensive. Travelling around the Czech Republic is very cheap. Food is reasonable by U.S. standards. Let me know if I can answer other questions for you!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Well I quess that I will try a 3rd time-this site is not responding to my response? Thanks Kwoo for your input!I am wondering if my son will make the visa cut on this studying abroad option as the Czech embassy now wants a 70 day minimum processing time and they have to have your passport in their office(which would not be workable with my son trying to get home from Italy at Christmas). How long did it take to process your daugher's student visa and did she use the USAC consortium for her studies over there? Where is she living there-family or dorm? Where did you stay while there? Thanks!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 11:07 AM

I would absolutely jump at that chance, in any season. Can't he get help from the affiliated school with expediting his visa? It seems like they would be the obvious connection in getting the processing done to make it all happen. Good luck!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Hello dutyfree,
Well, my daughter did not get a visa. Her college had a study abroad meeting last spring with some students who had spent the previous fall studying in Prague. The majority of them did not get the visa because as long as they leave the Czech Republic within 90 days to travel to another country, the 90 days starts all over again. She told me when she arrived in Prague they didn't check to see if she has a visa. She said most of the students with her didn't get visas. Her study abroad program is through CIEE. I called their office last spring, spoke to someone from the Czech Republic and he also verified that as long as she left the Czech Republic within the 90 days and returned, the 90 days started all over again. However, I need to find out from my daughter if her passport was stamped when she left the Czech Republic. (Her passport was not stamped when she arrived in Prague. I assume they have no way of knowing when she arrived??) When we visited her, we went to Poland, also, and they did not stamp our passport.

My daughter is staying in a foreign students dormitory on Parlerova Street, close to the Castle. We stayed at the Pension Dientzenhofer in Mala Strana, about 5 minutes from the Charles Bridge. I definitely recommend it. Excellent location and the staff are warm, friendly and helpful. It cost us about $120 including breakfast.

Maybe you should call your son's study abroad office to see what they recommend about the visa.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 11:26 AM
ira

Dear Duty,

Is your son getting B+ this semester?
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Hello dutyfree,
I just talked to my daughter and her passport was stamped on one of her trips outside of the Czech Republic. If your son goes to Prague without a visa, make sure he gets his passport stamped when he travels to other countries (which I'm sure he will do, it is so easy.)

Let us know what he decides to do!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 01:14 PM

I went to high school in Prague. It will be very cold for most of his stay, but I think it's definitely worth it. It's a wonderful place to be as a student. If you have any more specific questions I can probably answer them.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

I have been trying to get my response to be taken(both yesterday and today to Fodors) and it never seems to go through so please bear with me?. Thank you to all who have given me some insight on Prague.I have put in a voice mail to the Czech consulate about obtaining a VISA so hopefully they will call me back?(I just cannot imagine having to wait a minimum of 70 days to find out if you can go or not.)Ira-I am sorry that I am not understanding the B+ comment.Could you explain?Kwoo or anyone else-if you could share which airline you flew there or your routing/price I would really appreciate it.Also,if anyone has any tips on their favorite things to do in Prague or surrounding areas it would be greatly appreciated.Has is the train/air service for travel to other countries? Thanks for all your help!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Hello dutyfree,
We flew Delta Airlines but it was actually Atlantic Coast Airline from Boston to JFK (codeshare) and Czech Air from JFK to Prague. Total price was $666.00 RT, which I thought was good. My daughter flew BA from BOS/LON/Prague. RT was $860 (she left in August). I posted a trip report on our recent trip to Prague and Poland. I think all you have to do is click on my name and you will find it, or enter Prague into the search box. Prague is beautiful. There is fantastic architecture everywhere you turn! We visited Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral. Bought the B ticket. Walked across Charles Bridge many times. Visited Old Town, Wenceslas Square, the Communism Museum, Mucha Museum, Vysehrad. Saw the ballet "Taming of the Shrew" and the play "Romeo and Juliet". Had some great meals for $30.00 for 3 people. Bought hot mulled wine from street vendors every day! Great city for shoppping. Didn't have time to go to the Old Jewish Quarter. We traveled by train to Poland. My daughter has traveled by train to Germany and Hungary. She's taken the bus to other places in the Czech Republic, such as Karlovy Vary and Kutna Hora. Bus travel within Czech Republic is cheap. Her one-way fare by bus to Karlovy Vary was $3.00.

Your son doesn't need a visa as long as he leaves the Czech Republic within 90 days and gets his passport stamped, when he returns the 90 days starts again. He is a U.S. citizen, right?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

I just got off the phone with CIEE(their Prague program is filled with waiting list) and the two Czech consulates. The one consulate told me on the phone that if he did not have a student visa he could get into BIG trouble.Then another office told me about a different visa that could be gotten in 10 days. Have you seen what you have to have for the student visa application? All sorts of things that MUST be notarized by a CZECH notary(I do not know too many?) and be translated into CZECH from English-they sure don't make it easy.I always do everything by the book but this sure makes you want to give up or do it your school's way.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Hello dutyfree,
I certainly understand how you feel. I was in shock when I saw what we would have to do to get a student visa. My other daughter studied abroad in China and it is much easier to get a student visa for China. That's why I was thrilled when I heard you didn't need one as long as you left the Czech Republic before 90 days, got your passport stamped, and returned so that the 90 days would start from your return date. I always like to do things by the book, also, which is why I double checked with CIEE. I certainly hope my daughter won't get into trouble when she comes home in December.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Okay KWOO-how was your daughter's semester in Prague? Anything that you want to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!