Slovakia visa question

Search

Slovakia visa question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slovakia visa question

Will be taking the train from Budapest to Prague crossing through Slovakia. I have read elsewhere that a visa is required to pass through Slovakia. ( am a US citizen)
Also read that slovakian border guards are surly and mean.
Any truth to either of these two statements?
Anyone been on this train lately?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 08:44 PM

As a US citizen you do not need a visa. They just check your passport as you cross the border (we went from Prague to Budapest). They were not surly or mean but we went in November so not so many tourists.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

LindaW
Thanks for the response. Still debating whether to just visit Prague or take in Budapest. Read some bad press on the train to/from Budapest involving officials scaming tourist by informing them their ticket was invalid and DEMANDING, roughly, cash or they will be put off the train.
Anyone hear of this? Getting too old to fight back!!!!LOL
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Intrepid

I've taken this trip several times by train and have traveled in both directions. I agree with Linda's post..no visa is required for US citizens...the check of the passports always seems cursory at best. Nobody has ever told me any documents weren't in order and even if that reputed "scamquot; took place there is an easy solution: STAND your ground...they wouldn't have the nerve to put anyone off a train.
If you don't visit either city due to what may be a very unsubstantaited report of "problems" I think you'll be extremely disappointed.

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:50 PM

You do not need a visa. Just a passport. I flew between Prague & Bratislava. Didn't deal with border guards, but I beeped incessantly at the airport metal detector, and the security guards in Slovakia were the friendliest I've ever met. Yes, those Eastern Europeans can be large & surly, but I wouldn't let the possibility of meeting one deter you from taking your trip! Do you scare that easily?