Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Summer on the Chain Bridge - worthwhile or a tourist trap?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all about trying to soak up as much culture from a location as possible, but at the same time I would prefer not to be surrounded by a thousand kids or a large group of tourists if possible unless the attractions are can't miss.

Do you think I would kick myself for not going to the Chain Bridge on the weekends in July, or would I be better served visiting music clubs/museums in Budapest for local culture?
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 12:43 PM
mjs

Its a bridge and one way to get from Buda to Pest or Pest to Buda. I must say that I do not understand the issue.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM

Which museum in Budapest do you think won't have tourists? Which club might not have a bunch of younger folks?

Why let the presence of other people just like you spoil your enjoyment of a place?
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM

You're not likely to find local culture on the Chain Bridge. As mjs said, it's a bridge. It's a nice bridge and worth looking at as you walk across, but it's a still a bridge. Cars going back and forth in the middle and sidewalks along the sides.

Come to think of it, I guess we did have a cultural encounter on the bridge. Met a guy selling photos he took that turned out to be from where we were going next on our trip (Romania) and had been a guide in the past. He was excited we were going to his home country and sat with us for an hour, feet dangling off the side, helping with our plans, telling us about trying to sell on the street in Budapest and then gave us some free pics. I wouldn't think that happens a lot though. However, if you meet a photo seller named Tibol, have a look at his shots. Nice guy, great photog.

However, I would say that walking around Varosliget (city park) on a sunny day is a nice look at local life. It's at the end of Andrassy (sp?) street, fronted by Hero's square. Most of the culture culture though is going to be in museums and opera houses, pretty much whatever city you might pick. Hard to compare seeing a bridge to seeing a museum or club.

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM

I suspect, lizaduva, that you think the Chain Bridge is to Budapest as Charles Bridge is to Prague. It's not. It's just a bridge -- nice enough, but not a gathering place.

I agree with Clifton about City park: that's a place to pass a little time getting a feel for the local culture. Go for a walk on Margaret Island, too. They are places where the locals go to disport themselves. There will be tourists there, too, but they will not overwhelm the locals.

Don't do your shopping on Vaci ut: it's pretty well geared for tourists. Try the shops along the Grand Boulevard or, it it rains, the West End Center.

For exercise, and a great view, climb Gellert Hill.

We might bump into one another. I'll be in Budapest in July also. Look for the happy bearded man with a pipe.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
From the title - I thought you were asking about camping out on the bridge

As the others said - a bridge - like Tower bridge in London, or Alexander III in Paris, or Rialto in Venice.

Go, look, take a few photos . . . .
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM

lizarduva, I, too, suspect you may have the Chain Bridge in Budapest confused with the Charles Bridge in Prague. Understandable mistake.

If you are in Prague, do check out Charles Bridge. Just get there early. It's not that bad.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 07:04 PM

I have not been to Budapest yet (going in July), but it is my understanding that there is a street fair on the Chain Bridge in the summer and it is closed to car traffic during that time (on the weekends). I assume that is what the op is referring to. I imagine it would be worth checking out (and plan to). If you don't like it, you move on.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:22 AM

We were in Budapest 2 weekends ago for the chain bridge festival. Lots of vendors with stalls for food, jewelry, toys, handicrafts, etc. There were stages set up with music and dancing. It was a lot of fun.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM

My 23 year old daughter is spending the summer in Budapest. She has spent two Sunday afternoons at the events at the Chain Bridge, and she thoroughly enjoyed the hourse there, especially meeting and talking to several people from different countries. Go and have some fun...