Search

Budapest: A few notes from my trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest: A few notes from my trip

I haven't had time for a trip report, but here are a few notes:

The Budapestlets apartment on List Ferenc Square is perfect! It was dirt cheap and so convenient. It was very spacious and clean. There was Internet in the room if you have your own computer. I had an iPAQ, handheld computer, and was able to send e-mail from it.

The restaurants in the square were very good. My favorite was Cafe Vian, a French cuisine, and the Vian sandwich was awesome if you like mushrooms. I had it twice while we were there. We also ate at Passions which is on the same side of the square as the apartment and Cafe Vian, then we ate across the square at the restaurant on the corner, but I can't remember the name, and had a pizza with sour cream, cheese, corn and bacon. Why we ordered that I don't know, but it was delicious!

There was a lot of construction going on in Budapest. Their subways are......F A S T!!!! and the escalator to go down is a run and jump on affair. Then, I had to put my map in front of my eyes so I couldn't tell how steep the escalator was. I'm afraid of heights and it would have made me dizzy otherwise. It made getting around easier, but I didn't like the subway in Budapest. The buses were really smelly there too. Since it was our last stop, we were really tired so we relied on public transportation more. The signs at the stops were difficult to interpret as well.

With all of that said, I really did enjoy my visit to Budapest. We went to the Gellert Baths and we went to three markets. We had a blast at the two smaller ones. I love looking through old stuff and buying trinkets to take home. One was in the castle area and the other small one was between List Ferenc Square and the Dohany Synagogue. There is a map on the back of a ticket I received that has CSARNOK circled and it is between AKACFA U. and KLAUZAL U. It had a grocery store and then some little vendors. We were really tired when we went through the big market. I forget the name of it and I lost my map while in Budapest.

We got a Thai massage right near the Dohany Synagogue and the girls were fun. I got a foot massage and then an upper back massage. Somehow that ended up pretty much being an entire body massage. The foot massage was really relaxing, but the other part was too funny to be relaxing. She bent me this way and that way and I couldn't believe that I didn't just break in half. It was so funny. It was not the most relaxing massage I've ever had, but it was a ton of fun. I was pretty limber afterwards and then sore the next day.

Although we didn't do a whole lot while in Budapest, I enjoyed it a lot. I think it was because the pace was a lot slower than the rest of our trip.

I think in another post I said I enjoyed the Terror Museum in Prague, but it was actually in Budapest. It was such a quick trip, I got confused about where it was. It was very interesting, but would have been better with an English audio guide.

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM

hi Modglila,
Good to hear about your Budapest trip. It sounds as though you enjoyed yourself.

I am very interested in BUDAPEST as I will be making a trip to BUDAPEST later on this year.

Before I go, I want to figure out various specific sights to visit along with any great spots to get facials & beauty treatments.
Question for you:
The GELLERT Baths- I hear the actually building is FABULOUS.............Did you only visit the building and view the BATHS, or actually "go IN" the water at the Baths, for the total experience?

I will be visiting BUDAPEST in a few months and am researching "IF" THE HUNGARIAN BATHS would be an activity I would enjoy.
Can't wait to see wonderful Budapest.
Trend Girl
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM

I missed the English audio guides at the Terror Museum, too. They're available, but not easily seen. Be sure to ask. The museum was so well done. I enjoyed it very much, but wish I'd seen the audio guides, too.

Thanks for posting. Budapest is a wonderful city!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

TrendGirl2,

We actually went in and got into the pools. If I went back, I would not do it again, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it out. It wasn't very expensive and we didn't spend a lot of time there. The reason I didn't enjoy it was that it was very crowded. Each pool had a ledge all the way around that was completely full. We could wade into the pool and parade across to the other side and get out. And I did feel like I was on parade because there were people lined up on either side of me and there was no direction for them to look but towards the center as I walked through. It was better in the women's only area; not as crowded. The water was very warm and felt really good, but I could have done without it as well. Maybe some of the other baths are better?

I forgot to mention that the bridge on the south end is under construction and only pedestrian traffic was allowed. We never did figure out how to ride over to the Gellert Baths. We walked across the bridge. When we left, we rode a tram or bus all the way to the castle where we knew we could catch the subway to go back across the river. I'm sure there was an easier way, but we couldn't figure it out.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Photos from my trip can be viewed at http://www.dotphoto.com. Enter modglila as the username and click Sign In. You can view any of my travel albums without logging in. There are no captions, just photos
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 04:01 AM

Glad you liked Budapest. I was there for a week this summer and loved it. Have to disagree with you on the metro - I loved it. I love Metros in general (all cities) and found Budapests one of the best - easy to navigate, exceptionally clean stations, goes where you need to go. I took trams more than buses and found them also clean (not the slightest bit smelly) and fun and effecient. I have some photos of the metro stations on my Budapest gallery (plus tons of other photos) at: www.pbase.com/annforcier

TrendGirl2 - if you are looking for facial related products - there is a face cream that comes in a black jar(and the jar is in a black box). I had read about it on this forum so while I was there I picked up a jar and I LOVE it. Had I known how good it was going to be I'd have stocked up. Wanna bring me some? Also re the baths - I didn't "do" the baths, but I did go into the lobby of both the Gellert and the Szechenyi Baths and the buildings themselves are works of art. There are photos of those on my website also.

I do agree with you modgila about the construction in Budapest. Seemed like more than most cities. I look at my photos and think, God that is one gorgeous city, but I have to admit that while I was there I was thinking there was quite a mess in some areas - both street and building construction. But it's still a great place.

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive wonderful place to stay I recommend Buda B&B - www.budabab.com/index.htm

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with isabel on the Budapest metro - I though it was fine. I bought a transport pass so I could just ride one or two stops if I was tired. My first trip I went to the Széchenyi baths, and although I had a long wait to get in (it was summer) I didn't feel they were overcrowded. My Budapest pix from my second visit are at kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/419378.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

The only thing I said about the metros in Budapest were that the escalators were very steep and that the metro was very fast. The escalator was fast too. The metros were very clean and easy to navigate throughout the city.

The bus and tram system is what we had trouble with. Specifically, getting back and forth across the river. I didn't say they were dirty either, but it was smelly riding on them. That was due to the occupants riding beside us. It was pretty hot while we were in Budapest and that could have caused some of that. Plus, I'm really short and end up with my nose at armpit level. Not pleasant when the person next to you is holding on above their head. Ewwww!