Summer in Europe

Search

Summer in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer in Europe

In the summer of 2012, I will be attending a study abroad program for 2 weeks in Switzerland. After the two weeks, I plan to spend 2 more weeks in Europe. Possibly starting out in Italy after the program and ending in Madrid for a week or so visiting some family. Any itinerary suggestions or tips?
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 07:51 AM

For us to give you any help you need to provide some basic info - like what you are interested in...? I recommend spending some time with some guide books and see what areas you want to visit and then we can provide answers to specific questions. Your question now is just too broad for anyone to answer other than you.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Going from Switzer.and to Italy and then to Spain in just 2 weeks won;t give yuo much time to see anything in either country.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 09:08 AM

How old are you? Are you going by train? If under 26 you could get a youth railpass at bargain basement rates and ride the rails as zillions of young folk from all over the world do. Hop an overnight train cross Europe and wake up in the morning in a different country, etc.

Anyway you should consider the rail system if wanting to go to the famous tourist cities you have dreamt about seeing all your life as cars today are becoming useless and a downright liability in many of Europe's cities - wide swathes of towns now off limits to private vehicles and excellent public transporation - many town centers are imminently walkable as well with main sights often in a compact area.

Fab sites IMO to plan a European rail trip - www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download the latter's free and superb IMO European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of suggested rail itineraries in each country. You may want to investigate the Eurail Select Railpass good in Switzerland, Italy, France and Spain though in two weeks I would concentrate on Italy and France as they are much more geographically together. That pass is a two-month flexipass so you could also use it in Switzerland on weekends, etc. during your study program.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM

If your summer program ends in August, factor in the high heat and humidity in parts of both Italy and Spain, and factor in the higher costs of being in beach resort areas.

Rail pass might be what you want, but also be aware that Genoa has a number of flights and ferries to Spain.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

I have definitely already looked into train passes...possibly the select eurail pass.
jamikins-I know i want to spend a few days in Rome. Kinda wanted to see the country side of Italy but dont know about getting away from big cities without renting a car.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 06:30 PM

James, if you take a train from Switzerland to Rome, you can get a small taste of the country by stopping in Orvieto, an hour north of Rome. Stay there a couple of nights and wander around the town for a day, looking at the views from all around the top of the hill it sits on. It's only a slight taste, but with your time constraints it's probably the best you can do.