Summer Family Trip - Vienna/Prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I posted a question recently about whether we should take a family trip to Scandinavia this summer. I got many informative responses and based on the responses we are reconsidering our choice of vacation spot! We would like to keep expenses down on this trip. We have traveled to Europe with our two teens before (they have been to London, Paris, Venice, Rome, Florence) and the kids are great travelers who love history, museums and castles. We usually travel in the winter, but this year our trip will have to be mid August. I am a nut for planning so I am trying to figure out where we should go - how about Vienna and Prague? Enough to keep a family of 4 busy? We rise early and like to wander cities all day!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:04 AM

both have lots ot offer, but both are very expensive....a/c is not as prevelent as you might wish also especially in budget places...

sorry to be a wet blanket
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Degas

You could do Prague, Vienna and Budapest in 14 days. Fly into Prague and out of Budapest.

A little less expensive than Scandinavia, but still not cheap. Spain and Portugal would be even less expensive, but also very hot in Aug.

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:26 AM

As with many European cities, Pragueewill be incredibly crowded in the summer. Also, it seems places like Spain, which are used to being hot, have better ways of dealing with the heat (like air conditioning) than other European coutries.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:43 AM

I've been to both Vienna and Prague, but the closest I came was July by timing (I was in Prague in Mays/Junes, Vienna in early to mid July).

So, Prague is very nice in May, but I have read and heard from others that it can get very hot in August (hotter than some other N/Central Eur areas due to some odd microclimate) and it is jampacked with tourists. it is one of the most popular tourist cities in Europe. However, that may well be true of a lot of the great cities, of course, so you can't avoid that. It's probably better than Italy, but I don't know as a lot of the Italians go to Prague for vacation, it seemed to me.

I think Vienna's weather may be more moderate, but these are educated guesses. However, it is true that in Prague, a hotel with AC will not be cheap. Perhaps Vienna also, but I never looked for one myself.

I disagree that these are expensive cities, other than hotels are not super-cheap. Prague is very cheap for everything else. Vienna was cheaper than Paris or London. I had heard how expensive Vienna was before going so really expected it to be like London, but it wasn't even as expensive as Paris in all categories (hotels, food, etc).

For your question -- well of course there is enough to keep you busy, these are some of the most popular major European cities.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:04 AM

I am amazed that anyone would describe Prague as 'very expensive'. I lived there for several years and go back at least once a year, and am always surprised at how cheap it is. While it has been getting more expensive over the years, it is still dirt cheap for an American. You can get a great dinner for 4 with wine etc. for less than 30-40 dollars TOTAL. If you stay in the main tourist hotels and eat at tourist trap restaurants, sure it will be expensive, but I would avoid such places anyway. If you want some more specific info, let me know, but you should definitely visit Prague, it's a jewel.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Degas

Susan56, this discussion may get side-tracked on the expensive vs cheap issue. Please don't avoid going someplace nice, just to save a few bucks. Go for a shorter period of time or learn to economize on meals, snacks and transportation.

IMHO, Prague, Vienna and Budapest all offer good value for your money and a great travel experience.

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
(I also responded to your Scandinavia question.)

Hot, very crowded, and not at all cheap. Wonderfully scenic, historic, memorable.

Unfortunately the same applies to lots of destinations in central/southern Europe in the summer. 300 million increasingly prosperous Europeans also want to see the Charles Bridge or the Vienna Opera in August. Well, not all of them, but enough to support many thousands of hotelkeepers and sellers of dumplings.

If you're winter tourists by habit (good on ya' - you know one of the best secrets about travel to Europe) but have to go in the summer, pick a place where going in the winter would be awful. Scandinavia, obviously, but what about the north of Scotland or the west of Ireland? Not empty, but certainly more space to yourselves than national capitals in Mitteleuropa.

If you want congestion (also an orgy of entertainment, culture, excitement, new experiences) give a thought to a few days in Edinburgh in August during the Edinburgh Festival (and associated Fringe, Film, and other festivalettes.) Gorgeous medieval (and renaissance) city, castle to end castles, museums, a handy royal Palace, a rather overpriced new (well not yet) Scottish Parliament complex, and the Highlands a couple of hours up the road.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few questions for you:
1.How "cheap" is "keep expense down" for you? e.g. how many days? how much per nite for hotel per room? 2 rooms or more? how much for dinner?
2.Could you leave prior to June 14 or earlier, when fares seem to jump?
3.You mention only large cities---do towns not interest you?
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Hello,
My daughter is studying abroad in Prague and we are leaving to visit her this Thursday. She said tickets for operas, concerts, etc. are very cheap. She has paid $5.00 or $10.00 (U.S. Dollars) for tickets for great seats. She has also had some great meals at reasonable prices. Don't forget, she's a college student so doesn't have a lot of extra spending money. We are staying at Pension Dienzenhofer (sp?) in Mala Strana, 5 minute walk from Charles Bridge. We are paying about $120 USD for a double room that includes breakfast. I don't know what a room for 4 would cost but I think what we are paying is reasonable.

I'm planning on posting a trip report when we return (after Nov 3) so hopefully I can give you a better idea of prices. Based on what I've heard and read, I don't think Prague is as expensive as London, Paris, Rome. I'm sure your teens will love Prague. My daughter is having a great experience in Prague!