prague and surrounding cities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking a trip next year to Prague and want to visit one other place while we're there. We've narrowed it down to Berlin, Budapest or Vienna. I'm concerned Budapest might be too similar to Prague (I've heard before) and that Vienna is too expensive, even though we'll only be there for 2-3 nights. Any suggestions would be great.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Vienna is more expensive to North American visitors (are you?), overall, than Prague
because Austria is on the euro, but there are always budget-minded arrangements that can be found.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Berlin is a big modern city contrast to the more old world Prague. And Berlin is relatively inexpensive but 2 - 3 days there would mean you'd either have to pack in an awful lot or resign yourself to only seeing about half of even the major sights. But people on this board do endless posts contrasting Budapest and Vienna with each other and with Prague, I think either would still afford you enough difference to make either one a good selection. In short, there's no easy answer and any of your choices would be fine.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Well, my hotel in Vienna was a lot cheaper than the one I got in Prague (and in Budapest), but I guess I went at not a busy time for Vienna - September - when hotels were busier in Prague and Budapest. But I did Priceline where great deals are to be had at times, and some people don't like Priceline.

Yes other than hotel Vienna was more expensive than Prague for sure, but if expense is the ONLY reason you are avoiding Vienna it is not a very good reason. Compared to the cost of your trip, it is pretty much irrelevant. As I said, you can get a good hotel price at times of the year - otherwise you just have food costs to worry about and a few other things.

At the same time, I was not really blown away by Vienna. I found it very relaxing and plesant, however, and in between Prague and Budapest it is a good stopping point and I would probably stop there again at least for one night - but Vienna was far from the hightlight of my trip. If you are feeling a little more adventurous you might also consider Bratslava, but I have heard hotels aren't cheap there, either, if that's a big issue for you.

Andrew
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:09 PM

I don't consider Budapest similar to Prague very much at all, but I suppose if you just think they are Central European countries, you might think that. I wouldn't make any decision about Vienna because it is too expensive. I didn't think it any more expensive than Prague and not as expensive as some other European capitals. I had heard that before I went also, but didn't find it to be true at all. It was cheaper than Paris, for example.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Converting from US Dollars, I found food in Vienna definitely more expensive than in Prague, but as I said, hotels are not necessarily more expensive and could even be cheaper in Vienna.

Andrew
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:31 AM
rex

Dresden? Jelenia Gora?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:27 AM

I don't think Budapest and Prague would be too similar, but it is quite a distance between the two (I think its 8 hrs by train). Vienna was nice, but not my favorite. If you do stay in Vienna, look at Pension Dr. Geissler. We paid under $100 USD per night and it was in the inner ring of the city and close to everything. Bratislava was a very authentic town, and inexpensive. We really enjoyed it.

Have you thought about small towns within the Czech Republic? We loved Cesky Krumlov- it is appx 3 hrs from Prague and very inexpensive. We paid around $40 USD per night for a room and breakfast for two. It is a small town, which would be a contrast to Prague.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM

We're also taking a trip in the spring to Budapest and then going to Prague (2 weeks total). Interesting suggestion to stop in another city. Perhaps break up the train ride. Thanks for mentioning it and that it's relatively inexpensive.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:28 AM
DAX

To me, the combo of Berlin and Dresden is more wortwhile (plus closer & cheaper)than Vienna. Dresden can match the old world richness of Vienna in terms of sights. Berlin offers a completely different dimension than those two.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 04:23 AM

I agree with DAX. In fact when I first saw the Zwinger in Dresden the first thing that came to mind was the Belvedere Palace of Vienna. Berlin would provide the most contrast if contrast is what you're looking for.