Reload this Page >

Suitable shoes to wear for city travelling

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Grace Leong

I am not a frequent traveller. I would like to know what shoes is comfortable to wear with pants when travelling in cities across Europe.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:04 PM
xxx

Anybody who says, "what shoes is comfortable" should definitely wear white tennies. Have fun.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Satan

Nice shot, making fun of the lady for her little "shoes" typo....Perfect people like you will be welcomed by me with a fiery reward on Judgment Day. See you soon, smart-mouth...

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Sue

Donald J. Pliner.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Laura

Grace--I love my black fabric Naturalizers, slip ons. They passed the Venice test last year and I'll bring them to Europe again this summer. The only concern is that the fabric can tend to hold in the heat build up after walking a lot. But they are very comfortable and versatile. Happy trails!

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:36 PM
xxx

Satan, a typo is when you say "arw" instead of "are" or "shoex" instead of "shoes". But "is" instead of "are" isn't a typo -- it's stupidity.

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Grace L

Firstly, thank you Laura for your tips. Really appreciate it. As for those who are more "interested" in my English grammar than my original question, please bear in mind that for this forum, English is not the subject matter. All I am looking for is some tips from frequent travellers on shoes which are suitable for travelling.<BR>AS FOR THE ENGLISH PROFESSOR, PLS PROCEED TO AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE FORUM.<BR><BR>

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:42 AM
brownie

Your most comfortable walking shoes. I take it that you're not going in winter - cause then, you might want to think of warmth as well. <BR><BR>Something with soft soles are good ... those cobblestones aren't very friendly on the feet. That is why runners/tennis shoes/sneakers seem to be the best recommendation. Just make sure the soles are soft and there is good cushioning.

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:08 AM
JOdy

I too have a pr of black Naturalizers that are very comfortable , the ones with eurosoles, . In fact they are so comfy that I have been wearing them on my morning 2 -3 mile walk instead of Nike running shoes! Also Tod"s are so soft and have a really good sole for city walking. I'm lucky enough to live in a place that has a Tods outlet because they are so expensive otherwise. we also have a donald J pliner outlet so those are what I'm trying next.

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Satan

Hey "chicken-boy" who criticizes the inquiring lady for the "shoes" typo, you obviously missed my obvious (to everyone else) point... You are perfect, yes? The next time you err, I have a little gift for you when we meet in my most warm abode. How does a dickshunary sound, Bobo?

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always worn my Chaco's while traveling, or just any old pair of running shoes, but recently discovered a new brand, Kuru Footwear and the are super comfortable and my feet didn't hurt at all at the end of the day. You mentioned shoes that would fit with jeans, they have a variety of colors so that should be a problem.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
travellingnute: I have two questions:

1) Why top a 7+ year old thread about shoes?

and 2) How in heck does one even FIND a 7+ year old thread about shoes????
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Grace - good job dealing with Scrooge up there.

Re: travel shoes, someone posted on another thread that everyone's feet are different... some people swear by Merrells, but I can't wear them more than a few feet. You really need to experiment in a store.

You should also think about your personal style. Some people feel fine wearing running shoes wherever they go; some want conservative dressier shoes and others go for modern style.

I sort of want all three, so I wear Keens (http://www.zappos.com/keen-sydney-ii-black) for casual travelling, Clarks for evening (http://www.zappos.com/clarks-honorab...ther?zlfid=111 - I can walk miles in these) and I would pretty much kill for these (http://www.zappos.com/la-canadienne-...ze-brown-suede).
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
<B>slangevar</B>: "<i>Grace - good job dealing with Scrooge up there. </i>"

Your response to Grace is ----- oh, about 7 1/2 years too late . . . . .

(none of those people are still on Fodors - or at least not w/ the same screen names)
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM

I bought these shoes last winter and they are incredibly comfy:

http://www.naturalizer.com/Shopping/...555&pg=3005148

Basic black loafer, but the heel is rubbery - great shock absorber and because of the way the heel is constructed, it is impervious to cobblestones. Even making our way back to our hotel late at night through wet cobblestone streets after a bit too much to drink, these shoes served me well

They are also my go-to shoe for business travel because they hold up to lots of walking/standing/mad dashes through airports.