Suggestions? Venice at Night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three nights in Venice the last week in March; single female; no interest in bar hopping; leaning toward seeing the city and waterways after sunset. Suggestions, please.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 02:04 PM

Venice is great at/after sunset. Also great in the morning. Mid-day it can be overwhelming crowded in the most popular parts, but you can away from the crowds even mid-day if you work at it (e.g ghetto area may not be so bad). Or do day trips e.g Verona, Padua, Burano Island. But do try to walk in the morning too, maybe my favorite time in Venice.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 02:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to Venice twice. Once solo (female) once with a friend. I just wandered around the entire time. It was wonderful.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 02:43 PM

"Wandering around" is probably the highlight of Venice...unless you get stuck in mobs of tourists. Between the train station, Rialto, and San Marco tends to be the worst, at least during the day. All of Venice is much quieter in the morning and at night.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 02:46 PM

Two absolute musts IMO- St Mark's Square in evening listening to the string orchestras playing at outdoor cafes - surreal setting and you need not go to the expensive cafes to enjoy it but just stroll around.

And a cruise down and or up the Grand' Canal at night -the old crumbling facades of old palazzos being sublimely illuminated:

https://www.google.com/search?q=grand+canal+venice+at+night&tbm=isch&tbo= u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfu9fls-_ZAhUGIqwKHaI8ArQQsAQIRg&biw=1879&bih=922

Take regular public boats and try to sit outside!

Last edited by PalenQ; Mar 15th, 2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 02:48 PM

Maybe a concert in the church of San Vidal, near Campo san Stefano. They will do Vivaldi.
Buy a drink at a table in Campo Margerita and watch the world go by.
There might be opera happening somewhere.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 04:09 PM

I am a single woman who often travels to Venice. My favorite evening activity is taking a vaporetto to the Lido and just walking up the street and returning. It’s beautiful at sunset and also in the dark. I can’t do it too often. Sitting in St Marks Square in the evening is also pleasant. I’ve also gone to La Fenice but that will depend on the time of year.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 04:30 PM

I so wish Fodor's would add a "LIKE" button to the bottom of the posts. With the exception of heading to Lido, I've done all of the above and created great memories to conjure up when I'm back home. The last time in Venice, I remember visiting a little bar close to the foot of the Rialto Bridge near the market, getting a Campari spritz and standing at the edge of the Grand Canal as the sun set. Listening to the water lap, the gondolieri calling "Oy," the light bouncing off the water--it's those magical moments that sustain you until the next visit.