Suggestions on Tuscany itinerary.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 07:27 AM
Dorothy

Suggestions on Tuscany itinerary.

After much looking and reading(most of which was here on foders) I think I have finally come up with a good trip and would like some input. I have narrowed down the places to stay to 2 in each spot. I would like some input on them if anyone has any.

3 nights castellina in chianti at either
Le Piazze or Belvedere di San Leonino

2 nights Pienza area at either
L'olmo or in town at ll Chiostro di Pienza

3 nights Positano at either
L'Ancora or Hotel Posiedon

1 night Rome before we fly home.

Hows this sound? Should we fly into Florence and out of Rome, or fly in/out of Rome??
Thanks

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Tina

Had a visit to Tuscany earlier this year and loved it. Mine was a brief stay & didn't include the towns you've cited, so I'll defer to more seasoned Tuscan visitors for any input. As for your selection of airports, you'll most likely snag the best fares flying in/out of Rome. Putting the cost factor aside for a moment, you may consider flying into either Florence or Pisa --- both smaller airports than Rome, and more convenient for a trip thru Tuscany. Because you're also wanting to head south for 3 nights in Positano (Amalfi Coast), then I'd try to fly out from Naples.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Julie

The only one I can comment on from personal experience is Pienza. I looked into L"Olmo but it was full. We stayed at Il Chiostro di Pienza. We drove by L'Olmo. Although it looks cute and all, it's by itself in the middle of nowhere while Chiostro is in the middle of Pienza. Pienza is a lovely little town that has just enough going for it to make it fun--markets, great food shops, an internet point, etc. It also has several nice restaurants, both in hotels and on their own. That opens more variety to you for dinners within walking distance of your hotel. The hotel itself is nice with great views and a pool. Our room was spacious and the bathroom nice--though only a shower, no tub. Breakfast was a bit pedestrian but on the whole we were glad that we stayed at Il Chiostro di Pienza and I'd do it again. Pienza is a great base for lots of wonderful hilltowns including Montalcino and Montapulciano. Enjoy.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 10:16 AM
ellen

I assume you're from the U.S. in which case be aware that flights from the US only go directly to Milan and Rome (for the Tuscany area). I also assume you're renting a car. If so, you could easily rent it at either airport and drive to Tuscany. We stayed in Castellina last year and found it a central location for the northern part of Tuscany. Easy drives to Siena, San Gimignano, Florence and Lucca is within easy traveling time.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 11:11 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Dorothy, Sounds like you have a nice trip planned. I assume you must be driving. With those locations, I would pick these:
Chianti--Fattoria Vignale near Radda
www.vignale.it

Tuscany--Il Chiostro is a good choice
Also look at Hotel Posta Marcucci in Bagno Vignoni--a spa hotel

Amalfi Coast: Poseidon or Palazzo Murat if hill walking is a factor

Last nite: Gaeta on the coast 2 hours south of Rome airport if takeoff is 11:00 or later. If not, Satellite Palace in Ostia Lido--:10 from airport

Good luck--you will have a great time.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Betsy

Be sure to have dinner at Latte de Luna in Pienza. You won't be sorry!

Buon viaggio

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 02:08 PM
dgm

to the top!!!

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Carol

I'm reposting what I've posted elsewhere:
Just for a dissenting opinion re Il Chiostro di Pienza. It is a very beautiful hotel. However, some of the rooms are horrible. I had a room there in 1997 that must have been a monk's closet. I could not even carry my suitcase in without tilting it sideways. There was absolutely no table or chair or desk--absolutely no place to lay things except on the television, which I therefore used as a table. I could not open my suitcase unless I put it on my bed. When I was using the bed, the suitcase remained standing alongside it, and I had to step over it to get to the bathroom. I was on a walking tour at the time, and this tour stayed in nice places and generally requested the best rooms available in each category. However, apparently many of the better rooms were taken up by a larger German tour group, which was leaving he next day. The guides were horrified when I showed them the room the next day and requested a room change for the second day. The hotel did have another room, and I was able to move, but the hotel management was rather ungracious. The new room was adequate, still much smaller than any other room I've had in hotels of supposedly much lower price, stars or quality, and the mattress was broken--completey sunken in on one side. I do not recommend making a reservation in advance at this hotel. if you can see your exact room and like it, then it might be a fine place to stay, but otherwise, I wouldn't trust this hotel to give you decent accommodations.

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Jo

I went to Italy last summer and had a great time. Started off at Bologna, then on to Florence, Rome and last of all to a place called Grosseto where we got a cab (30 mins) to a place called Castiglione della Pescai (small fishing village which is well worth a visit). I flew into Bologna and got the train in between the different stops which was so quick, easy and best of all not expensive. I would definately recommend travelling by train, but just make sure you get your ticket stamped at one of the machines before you board the train or you will get a fine. Enjoy!

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:13 PM
dean

I would not reccomend splitting my time in two spots in Tuscany for such a short visit. I find it kills mosto f a day to repack, check out, check in and unpack, even if the drive is short. Castellina to Pienza is a short drive. Otherwisse you are staying at some of my favorite areas. I will top my Toscana suggestions post for you