Notices

Your Experiences in Italy

Feb 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Your Experiences in Italy

My DH and I were supposed to go to Italy in May or June, I booked through my points with BA but with a little luck all that can be changed. We have some dear friends who have never been. They work long hours in healthcare and can't leave until September soooo I am asking have you been in the month of September, what can we expect. Do you have a favorite place in Tuscany - we would take the train from Rome to Florence and then get a car. We are young Seniors, love food, wine and all the destinations that everyone holds dear but for first timers and someone who likely will not get to return, where would you take them. Thank you for you advice.
Feb 6th, 2012, 05:12 PM

We travel in late October, so I can't comment on September other than the weather which will likely be sunny every day and may be at times warm.

May I suggest you investigate whether you can fly into and out of different cities to preclude the need to backtrack. Fly into Rome, fly out of Florence or Pisa. Or the reverse.

How many days will you have not including the arriving and departing days? Were you planning to spend any nights in Florence? If so, you may want to put your Tuscany days in between the two cities.

Favorite place in Tuscany? Tuscany is actually not that small an area, and you'll probably get as many different opinions as there are Fodorites. I think it's best to first do some research and decide what towns you'd like to visit and then select a base that's in a good geographic position for easy daily drives to where you want to go.
Feb 6th, 2012, 05:13 PM

How many nights is your trip?

Do you want to visit Rome and Florence and Tuscany, or just Tuscany, or ?

September is a great time to visit. Rome and Florence will still be crowded, but the weather should be warm and nice for the countryside. I often spend time in Tuscany and Umbria during late Sept and early Oct and love being there that time of year.

My favorite area of Tuscany is near Pienza and Montepulciano. There are some very nice agriturismi that are situated in the countryside with great views and accommodations.

If you decide to stay in my favorite area, take the train from Rome to Chiusi and pick up your car there- in 15 minutes you will be driving through beautiful countryside on easy roads.

I prefer to rent my car from kemwel.com. When comparing/considering prices, be sure to review the deductable options. The car rental places in Chiusi are closed for a long lunch, so plan on picking up the car before noon or after 3:30 or so.

This is my favorite place to stay-

http://www.fontebertusi.it/eng/holid...rcia-siena.asp
Feb 6th, 2012, 05:27 PM

We visit Tuscany at least once each year, sometimes twice if we can manage it. We always stay in rental units so that I can pursue my cooking passion - shopping in local markets and enjoying the wonderful wines my DH chooses to go with what I cook. We have gone in spring and fall; each season has a special charm. Spring - watching the leaves unfurl on trees and grapevines, seeing the fields turn green. Fall - grape harvest in full swing, golden fields harvested. Our favorite places: Fonterutoli, a wine estate near Castellina in Chianti and a short drive from Siena. (Drive to the train station in Siena, park there, and take the bus into the city with the most beautiful Campo in all of Italy.) You can visit the hill towns of San Gimignano and Monteriggioni easily. There are several rental units suitable for 4 people. Montepulciano is farther south, nearer Rome. From there you can visit Pienza, Cetona, Montelcino. In Montepulciano we stay in one of the apartments in Appartamenti al Poggiolo - all are lovely and some suitable for 4. I could go on and on about Tuscany, but I think you get the idea!
Feb 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM

What a hard question to answer. For me, if anyone has an ounce of romance in their soul, they would love Venice. OTOH, the beauty of the Amalfi Coast is stunning and Rome is the ultimate city for History and Art. So, those are the three places I would want to take someone. That being said, Tuscany and the lovely towns of Siena, Lucca, etc. would make your friends fall in love with Italy.
Feb 6th, 2012, 09:31 PM

returntoyourseat,
This may give you ideas http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Search this Thread