Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Initial planning of my 2nd trip! Tuscany Region - Suggestions needed!

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings!

It's been three weeks since I returned from my FIRST trip to Italy and all I can think about is returning! I spent two weeks in Northern Italy, which included Bellagio, Lake Como, Verona (opera), Venice, Treviso and Pordenone. Next, I'd LOVE to visit the Tuscany region sometime early next summer and I'm looking for suggestions. I would like to spend approximately 14 days/nights (travel days from the US separate). It would be my desire to travel between small hill top towns, visiting cafe's and shopping. I'm not a big "foodie" (I practically starved in N. Italy! being a vegetarian and all - there is only so much pizza one can eat!), I like art (but not in love with it...) and I absolutely LOVE photography - but anyplace in Italy is a photo! I may be traveling alone, or my husband or mother may join me - they can't commit this early. That's not stopping me! My budget would be between $125 - $150 per night for hotels.

While looking at other Fodorite pictures during my research for my Northern Italy trip, I came across a few of a small hill top town with a wall built around it that looked like people were walking on and it looked like caffe's were built on top of the wall?!?! I wish I would have saved that picture, because at the time I thought "I wish I could go there!". Does this sound familiar to anyone? Probably a lot of Italian country towns like that.

Some early thought sare: A couple of days in Florence, a side trip to Pisa, maybe a few days in Rome with a day in Pompeii. Otherwise, the rest of the trip can be spent in the country. Can one rent a Vespa to get around inside the cities? That's one thing I would have like to have tried in Verona! I've read that trains are not good transportation to take in between these small towns and doing so - one would miss a lot of the countryside. So, I'm going to assume I should rent a car (and learn beforehand to drive a stick!)?

Any suggestions on places to stay and visit would be appreciated! This is where it all began for my trip to Northern Italy back in April of this year! and most of the suggestions I used! AND WHAT A WONDERFUL TRIP!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM

The walled town you mention is probably Lucca which is an hour west of Florence. I prefer south Tuscany for the best hill towns--here are some reasons why:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3827
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM

TwoToodles,

If you want to include Florence, Pisa, Rome and Pompeii, your time in Tuscany just got limited to 7 days.....

With 7 days you could easily stay in 2 locations, or just one. So hard to choose, all good choices! Maybe the Val d'Orcia, and Chianti? Or, Val d' Orcia and the Assisi area of Umbria?

Personally, I would skip Pompeii this time around and save it for it's own trip to southern Italy. Amalfi Coast is a trip all it's own!

Yes, you definitely need a car for Tuscany/Umbria and if you can drive a stick = big savings and much more fun. Zoom, zoom!

You might like to get some ideas from my last trip (much tool ong ago) in 2005. Search for "Just Back - Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy". Almost 3 weeks, Amalfi Coast, Rome, southern Tuscany and Umbria.

Buon viaggio!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM

PS - when I was a little kid, I had a little red-eared turtle. His name was Toodles!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM

mytwotoodles,
I have a large file on the southern Tuscany area. It is too big to post but if you e-mail me I will send it. [email protected]

Henry