Suggestions for Trip

Search

Suggestions for Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Trip

I have vacation from May 9 to May 29th. I have to be in Prague from May 13th to May 16th. I would leave New York JFK on May 9th and perhaps fly into Frankfort. I would like to see Krakow and Warsaw, plus be able to get to Venice and Lake Como region. So I have maybe 3 or 4 days prior to having to be in Prague and 11 days after Prague. Am I trying to do too much. It is a long way from Krakow to Venice. I would like some suggestions.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:21 PM

From what you give as interests, I would try to fly from Frankfurt to Warsaw before going to Prague and then go to Venice and Lake Como after Prague. You might want to have a return flight from Milan.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:40 PM
rex

I am not sure that I understand how Frankfurt fits in with your objectives at all. Moreover, Poland is such a big country that I don't think I could see myself planning a trip to visit Warsaw and Krakow, yet no other parts of Poland.

So, in mind, you have the dilemma of too small a segment before May 13, and too few desired destinations to make best use of the May 17-29 segment work for where you want to go in Italy or Poland as individual target countries.

The description of your vacation time sems unusual. Do you have to work, on Sat May 8? and also on Sun May 30? Could you not leave on Fri May 7, in exchange for working the entire Memorial Day weekend? (I realize that some jobs/careers have work demands that have nothing to do with weekday/weekends/holidays and how they fall - - I have one of those.)

Anyhow -- I don't know if these promotional fares are still available (or if they were good for dates in May), but there mightbe a bargain fit for you on Finnair, open jaw into Warsaw, out of Berlin. Airberlin.com coulr provide you a cheap link Italy-Berlin. Even with this, you would have the fairly hefty ground (train?) links of Warsaw-Krakow, Krakow-Prague and Prague-Venice.

Is the Prague obligation resulting in a work-related subsidy of this trip? I understand the notion of trying to "shoehorn on" as much other personal stuff as is realistic - - but in response to your questio "Am I trying to do too much?" I might say - - Quite possibly, yes.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I should use a travel agent to try and find me a decent fare into Warsaw and back from Milan. There aren't usually good bargains on 'open jaws' flights.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
jenifer

You can certainly ask a travel agent, but the few times I've looked at fares, open-jaw tickets have been at most marginally more expensive than regular round-trip. I have actually saved money buying an open-jaw over a round-trip at one point!

Try your searches on the internet at all the sites you'd normally use to see how they compare.

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:40 PM
rex

Agree with Jenifer; seems just aboutas likely that you could find the same fare as a travel agent on expedia, orbitz or travelocity.

But try www.affordablepoland.com also.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

I will continue my pursuit of an inexpensive flight. And look over my map of Europe to find the right combination. I was looking for a cheap London, England ticket and then take RyanAir to Salzburg and other do a open-jaws via RyanAir (or Easyjet)from another point. Thanks again.