Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Stops on an Overnight Trip from Lyon to Beaune

Feb 13th, 2019, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Lyon for seven nights in May. We'd like to do an overnight in Beaune by rental car. I welcome suggested stops on the way and on the way back...perhaps two or three each way. We like history, culture and art with nice scenery a bonus -- and are not foodies.

Hotel ideas welcome, too...in the 70-100 Euro range, if possible...nothing fancy, but walkability to the town center is essential.

Thanks.

ssander
Feb 13th, 2019, 10:55 PM

I would suggest a drive through the Beaujolais region. And then on to the region in from Macon. You can climb the Roche de Solutre for wonderful views over the vineyards. Cluny is an appealing small town with the remains of an abbey, a Haras du Pin, and an attractive centre for a wander. There are also lovely small villages to visit. Cormatin has a chateau, Chapaize has a wonderful Romanesque church, Brancion is a lovely medieval village, St Gengoux le National is attractive and there is a fairytale chateau by the road at Sercy. There is an attractive abbey at Tournus as well. We love this area and have stayed here several times. Even if you are not into wine the scenery is lovely and the villages charming. Look for the typical Burgundian wine makers houses with porches. This is my report on our stay in this region last year.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowT...nche_Comt.html

My whole report is here ( click on my name ) but this is just the relevant week.
Another option which would be a bit longer would be to head across to Chatillon sur Chalaronne, a lovely small town, and on to Bourg en Bresse and visit the Monastere de Brou which is interesting. Or after Bourg en Bresse you could make a short stop in Louhans to see the attractive cobble stoned Grande Rue which is lined with over 150 arcades on each side.
Bon voyage.

Last edited by rhon; Feb 13th, 2019 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Line spacing
Feb 14th, 2019, 12:30 AM

Why not just do a day trip to Beaune and not bother with hotel changes?
Feb 14th, 2019, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Michael...

We've done this type of two-day excursion before (Roussillon from our base in Avignon) and really liked the multi-stop days out and back and the afternoon-evening there. Granted Roussillon is a bit further from Avignon than Beaune is from Lyon...but it still seems doable without too much trouble. (We won't check out of our hotel at Lyon..leave most of our stuff there and just take a change of clothes and some toiletries.)

ssander