Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris/Provence/Burgundy - revised itinerary feedback?

Jul 31st, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

I was unable to get an open jaw ticket that worked for me, so I will be flying in and out of CDG. This is a solo trip thus far, though I have a friend who just might join me for at least part of it.

Planning to spend 3 nights in Paris at the start of my trip and 4 at the end, and have hotels booked. What I could us some help with is the middle section....

My current plan is to TGV Paris to Avignon and pick up a car there. Drive to Arles and base there - for 5 or 6 nights, unless someone advises me that that's too much time. Both Le Calendal (http://www.lecalendal.com/) and Hotel Mirielle (http://www.hotel-mireille.com/) are on my short list for hotels.
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Perhaps spend a final night in Aix before driving north to Burgundy? If so, any recommendations for hotels there at about 100E or less?

4 nights in Burgundy, most likely in Beaune. Possiblilities re accomodation there include Hotel de la Poste (http://www.hoteldelapostebeaune.com/) and Chateau de Chorey (http://www.chateau-de-chorey-les-bea...glish/home.htm), as well as Le Montrachet.

Thinking about driving as far as Lyon and dropping the car there, where I can TGV back to Paris. I am guessing that it would be easier to drop at Part Dieu than Perrache station, since the former is not in the historic center, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could confirm.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:04 AM

Le Calendal in Arles was fine, I liked the fact that it was right near the arena. Chateau Chorey Les Beaune was one of my favorite hotels, but be aware that it is outside of Beaune and you will need to drive into Beaune. The parking can be a little tight in Beaune. No need to drive to Lyon to take the TGV to Paris, you can get it in Dijon, which is much closer to where you will be. We have done this twice and had no problem. Finally, while Hotel Montrachet was just lovely and the restaurant divine, there was absolutely nothing to do at night in Puligny Montrachet. ( a truly one horse town, but great wine!!!!). You are better off staying closer to Beaune.

Jul 31st, 2003, 10:21 AM

5 nights in Arle should be fine. Arles itself should fill a couple of days and it is a great base for Avignon, St. Remy, Les Baux and the rest of Provence.
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:06 AM

You could stay in Arles for 5 nights, or if you are staying "in town" you may want to do 3 nights there, and 2 nights somewhere in or near a smaller town like Bonnieux or Roussillon. You might want a car while in Burgundy. We were there two nights in May, and drove out to visit L'Abbaye le Bussier and the cool little town of Chateauneuf with it's imposing chateau. There were also some really lovely drives in the area. Those canals that the river/canal cruises take through the area are fun to drive along. We also enjoyed an antiques market in Dijon on a Sunday, it that fits your schedule. Have a good time! There is so much to see and do! We found a nice little restaurant and hotel along the wine road outside of Beaune on the way to Dijon - Les Paulands. I'll check my notes when I get home and post their website for you. Beaune didn't excite me very much, after our drive through Beaujolais country from Lyon. We took several detours from the main road to check out little villages...really lovely. The more I think about it, the more strongly I recommend keeping your car and dropping it off in Dijon to train back. (We actually drove back to Paris from Dijon, and had one heck of a time finding the Hertz car return at Gare de Lyon. I do not advise that option!)
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

uhoh -

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I wasn't clear enough; it is my plan to keep the car while in Burgundy and drop it at the end of my stay there before taking the train back to Paris. Which I will now do from Dijon instead of Lyon per Lori's suggestion, especially since I'd wanted to see it anyway.

I welcome your suggestions for places to see and/or base other than Beaune and Arles. I just thought that if I'm on my own, I'd probably prefer to be in a town rather than out in the countryside. My 100E/night budget is quite modest, which also meant limited choices in places like St-Remy, for example.
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:36 PM

You shouldn't have a problem with that budget. When are you going? We spent two weeks traveling around France and the only place we spent over 100euro/night was in Lyon (and that was because we really hadn't planned to visit Lyon, it just happened! And I'm glad it did!) HOWEVER, if you are going too much out of season, I understand some places do shut down -- which would limit choices.
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

My trip is in mid-October. It's my understanding that everything should still be open then, and that November is the beginning of the true off-season. There are no discounts that I've been able to find, anyway!
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:59 PM

Lesli, I will be in Burgundy in mid-October also. I'm still working on the itinerary, and keep changing my mind!I'm going to stay in Paris a couple of days before Burgundy and after. I had one plan to TGV to Lyon for 3 nights right from CDG, then train to Dijon to pick up car for a week, and spend 2 nights there, then spending a few days in Beaune area, then Semur, returning car in Auxerre and training back to Paris. Like you, I'm trying to decide on Beaune hotel, as being solo, I would like to be in town. Hotel de la Poste looks nice, but is a little pricey. I have checked with them, and they are definitely over $100. I will probably skip Lyon this trip, but am torn about that. I'm really looking forward to driving around the Burgundy countryside.
Does anyone have any hotel recs in Beaune, or anyone stayed at the Hotel de la Poste?
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Sue, since you're planning a similar trip with a like budget, I thought I'd let you know what I've come up with....

I will TGV from Paris to Avignon and pick up a car. Drive from there to Arles and base there for 6 nights at Hotel le Calendal.

From there, I'll head to Beaune for 4 nights, where I'm staying at the Hotel Grillon (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hotelgrillon/) This hotel is listed in my Guide Routard and also on the Logis site (http://www.logis-de-france.fr/fr/index.htm), so even though I haven't found much other feedback, I feel good about the choice. (Auberge Bourguignonne on the Logis site also looks charming for the rates and is right in town.)

I'll drive from Beaune to Dijon, where I plan to drop the car and TGV back to Paris.

Both of these hotels have responded promptly and warmly to my e-mails, as did the Mireille in Arles.
Aug 7th, 2003, 11:41 AM
ChatNoir

Lesli, curious as to why you chose to base out of Arles and not Avignon and what you plan to see and do in the area. You orginal post got me interested in planning a very similiar trip next spring.

Aug 11th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Degas

ttt

Aug 11th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

ChatNoir -

I chose Arles as a base for Provence rather than St Remy because the latter lacked appealing hotels in my price range. Had not really considered Avignon as I was interested in being in a smaller town from which I can drive without getting entangled in too much local traffic.

I'm still working out the details of my itinerary, but I plan to visit Avignon, St Remy, and several other smaller villages in Provence. I might even head to Cassis if I decide I have the time and motivation. I'll enjoy the outdoor food markets, and think my timing might actually be right for a chestnut festival in the area; still trying to get specifics on that.

Also plan to eat and drink well - always a major factor in my travels. I will likely have at least one meal in a Michelin-starred restaurant (have found that there are set menus at prices I can justify at some auberges in the countryside) and most certainly do some wine tasting in Burgundy.

Further suggestions are welcome!
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:57 PM

I am one of these travellers that likes to consolidate things so when we travel to France we generally start from the airport to the countryside and then end up for the time in Paris at the end and then it is to the airport. It obviates the problem of moving in and out of a hotel room twice, getting to the gare with our luggage, etc. and allows you not to waste time in Paris. So under your scenario you could go to Avignon from CDG (many trains), do your itinerary, and then finish in Paris. You should be able to find a hotel in St.Remy in your range. I have also read of good hotels in Avignon-villaneuve that are nice and away from the closeness of Avignon.
Aug 12th, 2003, 09:10 AM
ChatNoir

lesli, thanks for the info. I picked Avivgon, but I'm using public transportation. Looks like connections are better there than in Arles.

Aug 12th, 2003, 09:28 AM

You will love Arles...especially if you are there for Market Day. It was stupendous. And it is an easy drive to so many lovely day-trip places. Be sure to take a boat ride to see the Calanques if you go to Cassis, plus we enjoyed the town itself...very cute..oh, I want to go back, just thinking of it!
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Lesli, it's been awhile since your last posting on this, but enjoyed reading your itinerary. Yours is more ambitious than mine, and I'll be very interested in a report when you get back. I've decided to just do Burgundy (and Paris a few days) this time, and Provence the next trip. My energy level just isn't what it used to be!

I'm going to Dijon for 2 nights first, then train to Beaune, where I'll rent a car. I'm just staying 1 day and night in Beaune, then heading to the Chateau de Bellecroix for 3 days. From there, I'll drive around south (Cluny, Tournus, etc.) Then a day in Autun, and up to Semur for several days, ending in Auxerre, where I'll leave car and train back to Paris.

I debated about staying in Beaune itself for the 4 days, but decided on Chateau Bellecroix, because it's a little closer to some of the southern Burgundy sites I want to visit. It also looks really pretty, and relaxing - and I got a really good rate (80 euros for a small room). In Semur, I've reserved at the Hostellerie d'Aussois (a Logis de France). I wish I knew something about it besides their website! It looks rather modern, and I prefer more quaint or historic, so I'm not sure. I'm really interested in the architecture, Romanesque churches, abbeys, cathedrals - that's why I decided to spend all the time in Burgundy - also the villages look so beautiful. I can't wait, and I'm sure you can't either - have a great trip!
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:18 PM

good choices, Calendal and in Beaune, La Poste.
La Manoir in Aix is good in your price range and they have their own parking lot.
Aug 21st, 2003, 04:55 AM

One thing you should know about Le Calendal in Arles, there is no lift, just stairs. Don't know if this matters to you.
Aug 21st, 2003, 08:56 AM

I'll add another word about a Beaune hotel--Hostellerie de la Bretonniere. It is very pleasant with it's own inner parking court, about 1 block from city center and extremely reasonable--about 75 euros I believe. Rooms are small, but clean and comfortable, and the help is very pleasant. We have stayed there twice in the last 5 years, but not in the last 2. Just in case u wish to check it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO