Suggestions for path from Barcelona to Cadiz in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be arriving in Barcelona the morning of July 17th and need to reach Cadiz by the 22nd. I have been to Spain many times (was born there and family is there, though mostly grew up in US), and my husband a few, but he has never been this route before. We've gone through Sevilla, Ronda, Jaen, Toledo, etc. on our route between Madrid and Cadiz, where my family is. If we don't take that route, we fly into Sevilla or Jerez, so we aren't so familiar with the eastern coast.

This time we want to take a path down the eastern coast and would love suggestions. We will start with two nights in Barcelona (a favorite city) and we are initially interested in Valencia and Granada - maybe Malaga though it might be out of the way for our limited time. We are thinking we'll take the train for the first portion at least. Any must-sees along the way? We don't need to hit every spot - we will be back and will likely be living there next year, but would like a nice, well-paced trip (meaning not too speedy - we aren't the type to rush from spot to spot and love a good meal or cup of coffee) this time around.

Thanks in advance!

PS We will be celebrating our 10th anniversary, and the kids will be in Cadiz waiting for us, so we are free as free can be for this time period! Excellent meals and charming hotels will be appreciated, as well as art and architecture. Cathedrals for cathedrals' sake not so much. . . but anything unique or especially interesting, we'd love.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Are you planning on driving from Valencia to Granada and then on to Cadiz? Have you checked the distances on the route you're considering and how much time you'll spend behind the wheel, and in late July at that?
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM

I'd take the overnight train to Granada or fly into one of the southern cities and head to the mts.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it is pretty far from Valencia - Granada (about 5 hours) and then about 4 hrs on to Cadiz. I think we might be trying to do too much in one shot. Will have to cut out either Valencia or Granada. . .probably Valencia, although Granada is the one that's a bit harder to get in and out of. . .

yorkshire - when you say head into the mountains, where in the mountains would you go?
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:17 AM

My next choice after visiting all of the main cities of Andalucia would be the area around Grazalema, but by your interest in Granada, the mts surrounding it would be a perfect choice: Sierra Nevada for nature and Las Alpurras for small towns as well.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I haven't been to Granada or the Sierra Nevada since I was a young girl, and my husband never has been. We'll be in Cadiz for a week and a half, so a day trip to Grazalema could be in the plans. We've visited Ronda and Arcos and do like the area, but haven't been by Grazalema yet.