Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre- Day trips by car from the north?

Notices

Old Apr 29th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying near Genova for a couple of weeks and we'd like to take advantage of the location to take a couple of day trips into Cinque Terre.

We will have a car... so what routes/logistics would you recommend?

Also, from that area, what other day trips would be recommended?

Thanks!
Bill
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 05:13 AM

For CT I would leave the car where it is (or drive to the nearest train station and park) and take the train to Vernazza or one of the other villages. Much easier than figuring out where to park, etc., and a good day trip.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Hi wcelliot - Besides Cinque Terre I'd recommend a trip to the Portofino peninsular area - Santa Margherita L., Camogli, Portofino, Rapallo - one of the most scenic parts of the Riviera.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 07:18 AM

It would be a bit easier to answer your question if you said where near Genova you are staying and what time of year you will be there. At certain times of year, finding parking along the coast can be next to impossible, so taking the train is advisable. Otherwise, I would head for Levanto and take the boat in.

Unless you are very avid hikers, I'm not sure you'll want more than one day trip to le Cinque Terre. If you are very avid hikers, you should consider hiking on the Portofino Promontory (peninsula). Trailheads reachable by car begin in San Rocco di Camogli (best parking), Ruta, and Santa Margherita Ligure.

Again, during summer months, traffic into Portofino almost comes to a complete standstill.

Some of the easier but quite interesting things you can do with a car in the vicinity of Genova are to visit the vast Staglieno cemetary in the hills above Genova, or take a scenic ride over the mountains in the direction of Piacenza.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124717452291819665.html

If you are staying on the side of Genova between the city and France, it is really not to far to go into France, if only to Menton, via the autostrade. Likewise, it is possible to make forays into Piemonte hill towns.

If you are staying on the southern side of Genova, most of the coast is best seen by train and boat, and the towns of Camogli and Chiavari have particular charm. Portofino in my view is best appreciated by taking the boat in. You can catch a boat in either Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure or Rapallo, and including the abbey of San Fruttuoso as part of the excursion is pretty.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Agree with Zeppole, more practical to take the train from Genoa or boat from Levanto, then driving in.