Suggestions for buying cellphone in Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our daughter will be studying in Valencia this fall and is leaving on Sept. 10. Her study abroad people are pushing Piccell which is rented and then the student pays .20E per minute etc. Instead of that, we want her to buy a phone while she's there and get a card for "X" number of minutes. What does she ask for in the shops? Approximate cost?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Liz in Massachusetts
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM

I use a cellphone with a card here in Spain. Cards here don't work "for X number of minutes" but "for X money " you charge on them So, in Spanish she has to ask for a "movil de tarjeta". Cost ? she can find very cheap phones, around 60 euros or more if she wants a better one I really cannot say about the cost of calls if you mean calling to the states..because I've never done that.
I have a Movistar phone, but anyone will do if their price is right, not very different on quality.
That price of 0.20 e per minute is not bad, but I think she can do it better with her own phone.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Yes, that's what I meant - "X" Euro until it runs out. OK, you've given me some ammo. I'm not really worried about her calling home as we'll just do
Skype or another VOIP and we'll talk to her that way weekly or something. We'll be in France for 3 weeks while she's in Valencia so it'll be a tad cheaper during that time by buying a French calling card and phoning her in the evening.

We'll give her a hundred or so to purchase the phone and then she's on her own! Thanks for the information and the correct thingie to ask for in Spanish.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM

if she asks for a "pack" not just "movil with a tarjeta", she will get a phone, sim card and minutes already on it for approx. 50-60 euros.

(there are more expnsive ones, but she can look around for this type offer.Movistar seems to have the best coverage.. right kenderina?)

she can also call the states from a landline using a calling card ( 5 euros for about 300 minutes).

they also sell special cards now to be used from the cell phones, but i am not familar with the rates. they would be much better than using the mobile direct, though, or they wouldn´t be popular.

the combination of a mobile to receive and for emergencies, and the calling card to call out to the USA is a good one.

may i ask which program she is on?

if she has any problem, post here for her! i will reach out if i can! i live 15 minutes from town.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Right, Lin , that's what they say But I don't know if it's true ...I haven't tried any other.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses! She's on the ISA (International Studies Abroad) program. She cannot wait to go, I kid you not even though we have gone everywhere with our kids so that they're used to going to Europe, but alone is quite another thing. She'll stay with a Valencian family who will also have another student (American) staying with them. She will find out the name and particulars of her family just 2 weeks before she leaves.

Any ideas on what I can send with her for hostess gifts? If they have children I will send something for them as well but would appreciate knowing what to send for the parents. I'm trying to think of something made here in Massachusetts, Cape Cod or New England in general but don't know of what use they would have for maple syrup or cranberry sauce! LOLOL...
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Do you know the address of that school´s base? I am wondering exactly where it is, if it is connected to the Polytechnic Campus, the University campus, or a private office building?

there are lots of threads on gifts for overseas families.

One fun thing, that she will be glad to have brought, are some good brownie mixes.
everyone loves those.

and just for the record. we can get pure maple syrup here.

a coffee table book is always nice.. and my friends like the dish towels i bring back from the states, although we do have nice ones here,too. they are just different.

a nice xmas ornament or table decoration is not a bad idea.

it is harder to find "original" gifts anymore with the world becoming so "one".

It is an exciting time for all of you. i remember going through this same phase.. it is a real turning point in her education.

unfortunately, before she knows it, it will be over,( unless she meets someone special and her three months turn into a lifetime).

...and there are plenty of us here to prove that THAT DOES HAPPEN!

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Oh my word Lin, you must tell me your story! Meet someone and fall in love?.........noooooo, lol, too far away to visit the grandkids. I might take your suggestion for the brownie mixes and others have emailed me with other cool things to send. Please anyone feel free to email me at [email protected] And thanks again for ALL the help. I've been on the travel boards since a year or so after we first "signed on" in 1994. Amazing resource for anyone who travels.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
sjj

Your daughter needs an unlocked gsm phone that uses the European frequencies, 900 mhz and 1800 mhz. Your choices are a European style phone that uses just these two frequencies (works in Europe but not in the US), an unlocked gsm phone that uses frequencies 900, 1800, and 1900 (works in Europe and with T Mobile in the US), or an unlocked gsm phone that uses frequencies 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 (works in Europe and here with T Mobile and Cingular). A phone that uses all four frequencies is called a quadband, and a phone that uses 900, 1800, and 1900 is called a European style triband. You can buy phones like this both used and new on Ebay. New phones are available from www.tigerdirect.com and from Motorola http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en...irect/motorola.
You can get a new unlocked gsm quadband for $100 from both, and for a little less on ebay.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM
sjj

I forgot to add that your daughter can buy a sim (the little chip necessary to connect the phone to the network) when she gets to Spain. If you want further information in sims, search for sim in this forum.