Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggested Itinerary for 14 day trip to Turkey

Jul 30th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

We are 4 adults travelling from Los Angeles to Istanbul from October 10th to October 24th. We want to cover Istanbul, Cappadocia, Ephesus and also do a 3 or 4 day gullet/blue cruise preferably on the Mediterranean since it may be warmer there. Are there any suggestions on how to accomplish all this within the timeframe? My companions are not big on bus travel, but want to travel by planes while in Turkey.
Jul 30th, 2003, 05:56 PM

You might want to check out Pacha Tours (they have an office in New York and a website). They do plan tours for independents. I toured with them a few years ago and it was excellent (lucked out with only 4 of us in a minibus). You are certainly hitting the best cities/area. I wanted to add on a gullet cruise but my travel companion couldn't take the time. [email protected]
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:29 PM
sandi

Gullet/Blue Cruises are on the Aegean coast and are usually for 3, 5 or 7 days. Of course, the 3-day doesn't go too far. Also, while these cruises are scheduled thru October, there is no guarantee the weather will be warm enough. The year we were in Turkey, thankfully, we didn't book the Gullet because it was real cold and all October cruises were cancelled.

Next, take out a map of Turkey and see where you want to go. Turkey is a very big country and while air travel can seem to save time, with few exceptions you can't fly from Ephesus (Kusadasi/Izmir) direct to Cappadoccia, rather have to go back via IST. From IST to Cappadoccia you fly either to Ankara and by road to the area, or maybe a flight to Kayseri (sp). There are direct flights between IST/IZMir, but you go by road to Ephesus.

Flight segments cost on average about $100 +/- plus your transfers to/fr airports to hotels or sights.

Turkey is the only country we did with a group tour, because the distances are so great. We spent 1-dy IST, then by road to Gallipoli, to Troy, to Assos (ovrnight); then to Pergamon, Sardis, to Izmir (overnight); Ephesus (overnight in Izmir); onto Pamukkale (overnight); then thru the mountains toAntalya (overnight); Perge and Aspendos (overnight Antalya); the to Cappadocia via Konya - a very long day (overnight Cappadocia) underground cities, Goreme, Urgup (0vernight Cap); to Ankara for full day (fly to IST) then 3-days IST.

We used Isram Tours - located in NYC. Both Pacha and Isram do similar itineraries but in opposite directions. What I liked about Isram is that they gave you choice of 4* or 5* accomm. Most of the group, about 20 chose 5*, and we even upgraded our last 3nts at the Cirgan Palace - while we toured with the group we went back to another hotel at night. And our guide was such a delight, he invited us to "tea" with his mom - most unexpected and a pleasant surprise.

Jul 30th, 2003, 09:30 PM

I am so excited for you. We did this 2 years ago and are planning to go back next year. We did it on our own and booked tour guides as necessary. The gulet we took for 4 days, 3 nights was with Pasha tours. We went from Antalya to Kas. There were 4 americans, 5 germans and 3 turkish crew members who spoke turkish and french! But we all had a great time and communicated well enough-somehow! It wasn't fancy, but it wasn't too much money either. We flew from Istanbul to Cappadocia where we had hired a tour guide, we used Gate 1 travel that had very reasonable hotel and tour options. No one booked but us, so we had a 15 seat mercedes van and a driver plus the tour guide to ourselves for 2 days. Then we flew to Antalya where we got on the Gulet. We then flew to Izmir where we had the same arrangement with Gate 1 as in Cappadocia, for Ephesus. Again, no one showed up but us so we had the royal treatment once more for peanuts! The next time we want a gulet on the Aagean side. If I can be of anymore help email me. [email protected] Mary
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:20 AM

I second the idea to check out Pacha Tours, even if you choose to do it on your own. Last September I did the 14 day Turkish Delight with Pacha and there were several 'independent' travelers who joined our group for 2-3 days at a time in a specific area.

By looking at the tours daily itineraries you can get an idea of how much time it takes to get from point A to B.

Enjoy Turkey, it's great!
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:13 AM

I looked at Pacha last year but not liking group travel decided to plan on my own. Pacha did have reasonably priced tours though and had independent options as well.

We flew between Istanbul and Kayseri (Cappadocia), rented a car to go between Kayseri and Antalya and then flew back to Istanbul. The flights in 2002 were $85 each way. To get this fare, I don't think you can book from the US. I used www.cappadociatours.com to book the flights, the hot air balloon ride and a 1 day tour in Cappadocia.

At the time you could not fly direct from Kayseri to Antalya and it might be that if you try to fly from Kayseri over to Ephesus that they will route you back through Istanbul. You should be able to check out schedules on Turkish Air's website. At the time, they were the only airline flying within Turkey and I presume that it's still the case.

Jul 31st, 2003, 10:11 AM

Hi Kelesesq,

After Istanbul You can fly to Kayseri 100 KM (70 miles)far from CAPPADOCIA 2 nights is enough for the first visiters then drive to Konya I recommend you stay in Konya 1 night because Cappadocia to Pamukkale (I recommend you for this trip) is far from eachother. After konya you may go to Pamukkale stay overnight there then to Kusadasi when I am now to see the ephesus (Ruins and museum) St jean church, Virgin Mary's house and Artemission are the place you must see. Then you can drive to Bodrum for your GULET (Turkish cruise) tour or you may go to GOCEK this is the place you may arrange your GULET TOUR 4 days or 7 days. After your Gulet tour you can fly to Istanbul from Bodrum Airport or Dalaman Airport in Marmaris.

Have a nice tour in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:46 AM

Hi,
We are doing a similar trip in August / September for a total of 12 nights (but without Ephesus.) Ours looks something like this:

Aug 29-Sept 1: Istanbul
Sept 2 Fly to Kayseri Cappadocia (100pp)
Sept 2 - 4: Cappadocia
Sept 5: Fly to Antalya via Istanbul (140.00pp)
Sept 5 - 9 Med area (possilbe a 2 or 3 night gulet cruise if can find one plus some nights at a hotel.

Sept 10 7:00pm flight from Dalman to Istanbul ($110pp) ; overnight Istanbul

Sept 11 - Leave.

I'll bet with your extra nights you could fit in Ephesus somewhere.

Hope that helps!

We are flyn
Just to add a little note here....I just booked a flight from Kayseri (Cappadocia) to Antalya. It actually does return to Istanbul and then goes from Istanbul to Antalya. It was $140pp. Leaves at 9:45am and arrives Antalya about 1:30pm.

From there we will also try to find a 2 or 3-night gulet to Kas or Kalkan.

Jul 31st, 2003, 10:50 AM

Please delete bottom of my last message...sent it out by mistake before previewing!!

Have a great time in Turkey!
Aug 1st, 2003, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ALL for your replies! We have a lot of planning to do.