Stuttgart to Cologne

Search

Stuttgart to Cologne

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuttgart to Cologne

Hey all, <BR>Couple of questions...<BR>1. Heidelberg. <BR>Is it really all that? We'll be drivingg from Stuttgart to Cologne in 3-4 days and would love to see as much as we can. I'm trying to decide whether Heidelberg is really worth a stopover...been getting mixed views on the town. Is it worth staying over night there ? Or is it do-able in a couple of hours? <BR>2. Also along the Stuttgart- Cologne route, what other places are definite must sees for short stops. If we don't overnight in Heidelberg which other town should we overnight in along the route? We'd like to spend at least one full day and also over night in Cologne.<BR>Thanks for your help!!
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 12:25 PM

JAGIRL - if I were fortunate enough to be in your shoes, I would plan the following itinerary:<BR>1) definitely Heidelberg arriving late afternoon, getting settled, then exploring the castle and having dinner in the old town. Early AM, before or just after breakfast, I would cross the river and stroll along the Philosopher's Path. Hopefully there will be some morning mist and you will understand how it got its name.<BR>2) drive to Worms and visit the magnificent Romanesgue cathedral. It was in Worms that Luther before the council uttered &quot;Heir stehe ich. Ich kan nicht anders - Here I stand. I can do no other.&quot; and ushered in the Reformation. I would also stroll along the banks of the Rhine, view the remains of the old Roman and Medieval town walls and enjoy dinner in the old Town.<BR>3) Today I would drive along the Rhine on the E9 destination Boppard or St. Goar. Hopefully you will have enough time to spend an extra day in the Rhine gorge before heading to Cologne. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch...<BR>That was the plan I was thinking of doing...any recommendations for hotels in Heidelberg?
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:12 PM

The tourist information of Heidelberg offers online booking http://www.cvb-heidelberg.de or directly http://www.cvb-heidelberg.de/index.hei?lang=1&amp;&amp;card=heises.0335dc0201e6 4ef3b5efefa299a87832<BR>My suggestion for a hotel would be the Kulturbrauerei. http://www.heidelberger-kulturbrauerei.de/<BR>Kascha
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:05 AM

JAGIRL - Here's a second recommendation for Heidelberg. It's my favorite town in Europe! What type of hotel are you looking for?<BR><BR>What are you looking to do in the towns you stop in along the way?
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys.
We're planning to just kind of see and do as much as we can on the trip - not too much...just maybe hit the &quot;hot spots&quot;, take in the scenery.
We're looking for hotels that are between $100 - $150/night. Central, with parking,comfortable, clean...