Germany-Southern ideas

Search

Germany-Southern ideas

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany-Southern ideas

My husband and I are driving from Luxembourg into Germany and possibly through to Austria. We will have about a week to go through Germany(maybe Austria) and are looking for strong recommendations of places to see, stop. We like small towns as well as must sees. Would like to do a one day cruise on the Rhine. We don't want to go to Frankfurt, but possibly Bingen....and so forth. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:40 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ver-cruise.cfm

Here are some ideas on the Rhine cruises - best to board at Rudesheim and take boat down to say Marksburg - see the famous castle there - and take the train back to Rudesheim for your car.

The Mosel Valley is one of Europe's most awesomely scenic river valleys - running in a deep gorge clad at many points with vineyards and dotted by cute picture-postcard wine towns - be sure to motor down it from Luxembourg - Cochem is a dream town that everybody raves about - would make a good base for the nearby Rhine as well.

Burg Eltz, one of Germany's most famous and prettiest castles in just a short drive from Cochem.

Cochem a dream town:
https://www.google.com/search?q=coch...w=1455&bih=978

See this thread for lots of details on options on the K-D Rhine boats (www.k-d.com)
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ver-cruise.cfm

For some good info on the Mosel check out www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download their free and superb online European Planning & Rail Guide's German section for lots of ideas on where to go.

From the Mosel/Rhine you can head over to the Fussen area and see the infmous Mad Ludwig's castles and poke around cute rural Bavaria - Fussen is practically in Austria so you can go to Austria from there.

Bingen is IME not nearly as tranquil or dreamy as Cochem - nor are any of the Rhine towns IMO.
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Have you checked drop-off charges for picking a car up in one country and returning it in another - they can be steep - if you have to return the car in Luxembourg then with just a week I would stick to the Rhine/Mosel area - that is if you have to return you car in Luxembourg or wherever you picked it up to avoid often huge drop-off fees for returning it in a different country.
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Must-sees in Germany, I can think of many but will start you out with the Cologne Cathedral.
Old May 29th, 2014, 01:49 PM

Bingen itself is not a tourist drawcard IMO, merely a good place to start Rhine cruises. If you want to look at a town or city in that area, Mainz (a big city but with a nice old town, 1000 yr old cathedral, Chagall cathedral windows in the Stefansdom and some very good museums to do with printing and Roman artefacts), or Rüdesheim (extremely touristy, but very picturesque small town) are worth a visit. You could potentially start your Rhine cruise from either of these or catch a train to Bingen, which makes for a shorter cruise and cuts out some of the less spectacular scenery.

Lavandula
Old May 29th, 2014, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This person obviously needs a cruise which returns to the starting point given they have a car.
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:18 PM

"We will have about a week to go through Germany... We like small towns as well as must sees. Would like to do a one day cruise on the Rhine."

The Rhine is both a must-see and a great destination with several small, old-world towns worth seeing; IMO the best ones are Linz am Rhein (north of Koblenz) and the 5 that lie between Koblenz and Rüdesheim on the map below:

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.d...te/map_274.jpg

Rhine town descriptions:
http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.d...php?id=274&L=3

Linz am Rhein:
http://www.rheinhoehenlauf.de/images/vg_ahc0240.gif
http://www.linz.de/pdf/Linz_Prospekt_2007.pdf

Rhine cruise: A day-long cruise would probably be very tedious. I'd focus on the part with the best scenery, which takes only 3 hours or less if you cruise from south to north (much longer the other way because of the strong current.)

Bingen or Rüdesheim are your best choices for boarding.

Braubach is about the furthest north I would advise cruising. You'd be on the boat for 3 hours. And I wouldn't cruise quite that far unless Marksburg Castle - the best castle tour on the Rhine - were on your agenda. Shorter cruises to St. Goar (1.5 hours) or Boppard (2.3 hours) make more sense to me in terms of scenery and best use of your time.

That said, I really am not a huge proponent of the cruise. The cruise is nice but it gets maybe too much attention, attention that overshadows the other great options at your feet. It would be nice to have 3 nights on the Rhine if possible. If on Day 1 you're starting out from Luxembourg, I would strongly recommend a half day or so in Cochem on the way before you reach the Rhine.

You can explore the Rhine area options at the sites I gave you above and at this site too - it's loaded with info.:

http://flyhahn.com/regions/romantic-...te-germany.htm

"This person obviously needs a cruise which returns to the starting point given they have a car."

You have a car but there's no need for it when you do the cruise, and you don't need to return to your starting point on the cruise boat. If for example you are staying in Boppard (a very good choice) you just take the train from Boppard to Bingen, hop on the cruise there and get off in Boppard later.

What does that cost? €9.70 each for the train ride of 35 min. HOWEVER, you will save €5 each on the cruise by showing your train ticket at the KD cruise kiosk in Bingen (20% discount with a valid train ticket.)

OTHER AREAS for you to investigate on the way south include Franconia (a subregion in Bavaria)...

http://www.frankentourismus.com/

Franconian cities: Bamberg, Nuremberg, Würzburg
Franconian mall towns: Iphofen, Bad Windsheim, Rothenburg (very touristy,) Ochsenfurt, Marktbreit, Sommerhausen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLUgpoQIFHI

Iphofen photos: http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.org...&threadID=2985
Iphofen brochure: http://www.iphofen.de/download/ortsp...sch_100510.pdf

Bad Windsheim: http://www.stripes.com/military-life...useum-1.102354
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:06 AM

If on Day 1 you're starting out from Luxembourg, I would strongly recommend a half day or so in Cochem on the way before you reach the Rhine.>

No IMO do not slight the Mosel but spend a few leisurely days going down it - stopping by Trier - fascinating city to a Cochem base - do Burg Eltz as a day trip from Cochem and also do the Rhine Gorge - IME for the average person one day is enough there and many find the Mosel much more gorgeous as a river valley and much more tranquil.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mose...w=1455&bih=978

I've taken over 1,000 folks on trips both on the Rhine and the Mosel and though they liked the Rhine they nearly all loved the Mosel and especially Cochem, more - It is a short drive over the hills from Cochem to the Rhine - spend a day there but IMO spend most of your town on the far prettier Mosel.
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:39 AM

If doing the Rhine by car or boat be sure to hit Marksburg Castle, the only castle on the Rhine they say that is an authentic medieval castle - most others have been laid to ruins and partly rebuilt in some cases after being destroyed by marauding armies like Napoleon's that laid waste to many castles in the militarily important stretch of river.

I'd say if non driving take the boat to Marksburg, the dock is right under the castle and from there take the train back to Rudesheim or onto Koblenz.

Rudesheim IME of taking these boats many times with my groups is the place to board if possible - Rudesheim is a tour-bus saturated city on par with the likes of Rothenburg or Fuessen and tour groups often swarm aboard here - the best seats by far IMO are those on the outside front deck along the railing and they can go quick so board as early as possible - sitting on the railing in the center allows you to see both sides of the river easily.

And that's why the boat IME is the way to go here - with cars you see only the other side of the river, not the one you're driving on and driving on the west side can be tedious on the very busy road hugging the river there - parking can be hard to find in some towns (driving along the much more tranquil Mosel however is very relaxed - no busy roads ruining the tranquil atmosphere - the Rhine also has a main rail line running on the west side and a side rail line on the east side - just not as tranquil as the very tranquil and IMO much more beautiful Mosel Valley - one of the premier biking/driving venues in Europe!
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 04:58 AM

Must see in Germany, for sure Neuschwanstein castle, one of the best Castles in Europe , is located in south of Bavaria about 5km from Austria border
just check the pictures http://www.new-swan-stone.eu/p/neuschwanstein.html
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 05:20 AM

"Must see in Germany, for sure Neuschwanstein castle, one of the best Castles in Europe"

FYI - N'stein is NOT a castle at all. Built in the late 19th century as a residence for Ludwig II, it came to life through the eyes of a set designer who was in a playful mood and stuck a turret here and there to give the place the look of a castle (which by definition is the sort of structure built much earlier for defensive purposes.) N'stein is just a big house and could have been toppled with very little effort, had marauders wished to do so.

It is a "must see" for many folks. The building is stunning from outside. But I found the 30-minute tour weak and overpriced, and I wouldn't bother with N'stein at all unless you are already visiting the area for other purposes. There are too many other fine places in Germany to visit, places without throngs of tourists who think they're seeing a castle.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 07:09 AM

I agree with King Ludwig - Neuschwanstein is well worth going out of your way for - Europe's most famous castle, regardless of parsing the words of what a castle it - fantastic on the inside and outside - the tour I took had a surprise at every turn and in every room - unique devices novel for the day.

Plus Neuschwanstein is in a neat area - nestled in a forest at the foot of the Bavarian Alps - there are some easy hikers near the castle - some folks do not care much for it, finding it tacky because it is Ersatz - a fake medieval castle but I love it because it is so so unique and such a fantasy.

Knowing the history behind 'Mad' Ludwig's castle building frenzy - his other castles are also neat - Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee - the 'Bavaraian Versailles' - his building of fake medieval castles and palaces was bankrupting the Bavarian Government and someone decided to pull the plug, both on it and Ludwig himself, who just a few days after actually being able to live in Nueschwanstein he was found drown to death in the Starnerberger See near Munich - Neuschwanstein was not quite finished and never was until recent times perhaps.

But to me outside and in Neuschwanstein is tremendous - not your average, at times boring authentic medieval castles built for defense but one built for sure excess - knowing the history makes the visit all the more poignant - Neuschwanstein caused Ludwig's downfall - I like to climb up thru the beautiful forests behind the castle to the Marienbrucke - a bridge high above the castle where Ludwig himself once went and sat to ponder the construction of his fantasy castle.

To me Neuschwanstein is one of the top castles in Europe and one worth the trek out from Munich to see - yes mobs of tourists and all.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

So much great information! Thank you! I think I will book a night in Cochem,or would Boppard be better because catchng train there? Will do the shorter cruise and get off at Bobbard, unless the Cologne Cathedral is worth the extra stretch? We will drive the Mosel.No one mentioned Heidelberg or Munich as musts...just wondering. We will probably go to the Nuremberg area, where to stay around there? Fussen sounds like a good place to see, and maybe catch the Neuschwanstein castle. Is Fussen a good place to stay, or head onto Innsbruck? What about Salzburg? We are still pretty flexible, and appreciate your input.BTW we will be heading to Switzerland to meet friends for a week and then will return the car on the french side of Geneva(having picked it up in Paris)
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 01:39 PM

If going to Cologne, drive rather than stay on the boat for hours. Any special reason to go to Innsbruck? Salzburg is a much better choice.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Salzburg sounds like a great choice. As I say, we are completely flexible at this point, and are looking for recommendations from those who have traveled here. What about Liechtenstein? Or Heidelberg? Any thoughts? Thanks for your time
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Liechtenstein is worthwhile only really to say you were there or if you collect stamps. It is the only country which I cycled across in one day!
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Heidelberg is IMO one of the very finest cities in Germany - one of the few relatively untouched by WW 2 - some say because the Americans planned it for their post-war base - it still has many GIs in the area. It is a lively town known for its students' pubs - large university in town and its setting on the tranquil usually Neckar River - not to mention one of the most imposing and brooding castles in all of Europe - hovering high above the Altstadt (Old Town center) regally capping a hillock.

Philosophers' Walk is famous going up the hills on the northern side of the Neckar - some famous German philosophs trekked up their for inspiration - great view of Heidelberg all laid out below.

The Castle Road is a sweet road that meanders along the Neckar River Valley east of town - dotted by ancient towns and their castles - all the way to Rothenburg! A great drive or bus ride via the Castle Road bus (similar to Romantic Road bus - commentary en route and special stops along the way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=heid...w=1455&bih=978

That said more than a few Fodorites have said they were nonplussed with the city - beats me why - they never explain just that it did not tinkle their fancies for whatever reason - but to me it is a special city for a Germany whose cities were for the most part blown to smithereens in WW2 and not always tastefully rebuilt (Cologne, Dusseldorf, Hannover, Munich and zillions of others.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 12:18 PM

Liechtenstein?>

A beautiful bucolic countryside in the Principality that is a renown money laundering banking country that puts Switzerland to shame - but besides that the tiny kind of country - I believe controlled actually by both Austria and Switzerland in some weird kind of agreement - it is just an ordinary town - the capital city that is.

Nothing special but the novelty of it all - that's the reason I went there and to me that is kind of neat. Very few tourists there too. I would do a drive thru - the whole 'counry' but would not go out of my way to do it much.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

I think a night in Heidelberg after our Rhine stop in Boppard for a couple of nights would be good. Then on to Nuremberg, Wurzberg area....then To....Fussen...or Salzburg? We need to start heading toward Switzerland to meet my sister in Wengen, and can drive through Lichtenstein on our way.Where would be a good place to stay in that Franconian region?
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 12:36 PM

The Appenzell area is a famous mountain resort - not terribly high altitude but famous place that seems to be, without perusing a map, smack en route from Liechtenstein to Interlaken - you of course cannot drive to Wengen but have to leave your car in Lauterbrunnen then take the train up to car-free Wengen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -