Search

Visiting Cochem Germany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Cochem Germany

Hi!

We will be staying in Cochem for a week 16 Sep - 23 Sep. I have read numerous posts and from them have made a list of places recommended to visit. There are quite a few and we only have about 6 days so not sure how many we can fit in. I understand a good day cruise on the Mosel would be from Cochem upriver to Belstein. Following is a list and I would be appreciative if anyone could tell me what can comfortably be covered during our stay. We will have a car so maybe can do more than one in a day.

Beilstein, Equisheim, Burg Arras, Burg Eltz, Koblenz, St. Goar, Bernkastel-Kues, Zell, Traben-Trarbach, Trier, and lastly Luxembourg.

Thanks
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 03:44 PM

Not a fan of Beilstein. Tiny, not anything to do but a lakeside lunch, then walk uphill to the castle courtyard for views, then out the back gate of the courtyard to the melancholy, stirring Jewish cemetery. Others love it though.

St. Goar? Only if you plan to explore the castle ruins above town. If you want a town on the Rhein, I much prefer Bacharach!
Burg Eltz above Moselkern shouldn't be missed (I much preferred the hike up through the woods, rather than to the carpark)!

Trier has excellent Roman remains, great cafes and small shops.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Lucky you! You will also be visiting during the period of Weinfeste or Winzerfeste (wine festivals)...IMHO NOT to be missed!
9/22-24 Neef
9/22-24 Kroev
9/15-16 Oberwesel (Rhein)
9/15-17 Uerzig/Senheim
9/15-17 Pommern
9/13-16 St.Goarshausen(Rhein)
9/22-24 Koblenz
And the Rhein in Flammen (fireworks from various high points along the Rhein) occurs the evening of 9/16!!!
9/22-25 Boppard (Rhein)
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

OMG, thank you so much for the heads up on the winefest .......where is Flammen in relation to Cochem? We have a two night stay in Bacharach before Cochem. Maybe we will strike out St. Goar.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 03:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Beilstein, Equisheim, Burg Arras,

Burg Eltz; well worth the walk

Koblenz; an modern town with a statue, across the river, a fantastic fortress

St. Goar,
Bernkastel-Kues; pretty pretty tourist town with wine library in Kues

Traben-Trarbach; Jegundstehl at its best, but you need to visit hotels to get the best bits,
Trier; a high spot for the area, the first city in Germany, Capital Of the Roman empire for a few years, it just goes on, worth a full days visit

Luxembourg; what is left of the fortress is impressive,
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 05:18 AM

it is still a walk through forest even when we parked at the car park.. I would not have needed anymore.. the castle comes into view at a clearing and it is impressive.

You can cover a lot of ground with the car. We used the ferries to cross over the Rhein when needed with our car. The Mosel is much tamer and intimate than the wild Rhein. Great wineries.. will have to search to find one that we were quite impressed with. A big beautiful mustard colored estate on a hill with a small restaurant attached.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input! Still trying to combine some of the towns in one day and avoid backtracking everyday.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 02:02 PM

Even though with car I'd consider taking the K-D (k-d.com) boats thru the Rhine Gorge highlights - at least by the Lorelei cliff- can see both sides of river from boat -there is commentary and refreshments aboard. for lots on this area check out www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

If going to Luxembourg easy to stop at Hamm for the U.S. Military Cemetery where Gen George Patton is buried - having died in a Jeep accident or some type of vehicle near there shortly after the war ended.

Luxembourg is physically gorgeous -being divided by a deep gorge but has little to see - a few hours may be enough -could do Trier in same day perhaps.

Biking? Some hotels have bikes for patrons to ride or they can be rented - the Mosel is a primo biking venue -one of the finest in Europe - if taking boat to Beilstein you may want to bike back -take your bike on the boat or perhaps they have bikes.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 02:36 PM

Rhein in Flammen is along the Rhein river, not certain of sites, maybe Oberwesel and St. Goar?
Glad you will be in Bacharach. I used it as my base for 2 weeks, taking daytrips by train. We happened to be there DURING Weinfest! You generally pay a small fee to enter the area, purchasing a tiny wine glass. You then present glass to various winegrowers stalls to purchase wine samples for a small fee. If you like, bottles can be bought. There are additional food stands and often a procession or parade and music. Fun!
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 03:00 PM

Ok, if you can read German:
www.rhein-in-flammen
Weinfest begins St. Goarshausen(across the river from St. Goar, a boat ferries people across) on Wed Sept 13-14, then spreads to St. Goar for Fri/Sat/Sun Sept 15,16,17.
Fireworks set from THESE two towns 9-9:45 pm on 9/17.
Don't even consider drinking and driving. Use the train. Look up your options beforehand at bahn.com
Some English info at www.loreleyvalley.com
Sat Sept 23 Boppard Weinfest, awww, you're leaving that day! These towns are very close.you can easily see two of the smaller ones in a day.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 03:09 PM

"We will be staying in Cochem for a week 16 Sep - 23 Sep.
...Still trying to combine some of the towns in one day and avoid backtracking everyday."

Since you are planted in Cochem you of course need to backtrack to Cochem every day.

A day trip to Trier normally will require a full day.

You can probably day trip to Traben-Trarbach and Bernkastel in one day.

Combine the Weinfest in Neef on 9/22 with Zell and the hike to Burg Arras (from Alf.)

Burg Eltz: You can tour and do the hike in roughly half a day from Cochem.

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/burgeltzfrommoselkern.html

Eguisheim is a world away from Cochem. Not possible.

"...where is Flammen in relation to Cochem?"

Flammen means "flames", "Rhein in Flammen" isn't a place - it's a Fireworks event.

If you have 2 nights in Bacharach on 9/14, and 15, that's a good thing because this part of the Rhine is pretty far from your Mosel destinations for day trips. What is BAD is that you are leaving on the 16th for Cochem. It is the 16th when the big fireworks show takes place in the St. Goar part of the Rhein (which is only 10 minutes north of Bacharach.) So definitely add a night to the Rhine and subtract the 16th from Cochem.

With your time on the Rhine:

- You can visit St. Goar, Oberwesel and Boppard in one very full day.

- On another day you could day trip to Koblenz and Braubach (10 minutes from Koblenz) to see Marksburg Castle, the best castle tour on the Rhine. Or visit Boppard + Koblenz instead. Or better yet, visit Boppard + Marksburg (Koblenz for the most part is a modern city, just OK.)

- On the 16th, you could do a cruise through the best part of the Rhine... take the train to Bingen then cruise north to St. Goarshausen for the afternoon to catch the Weinfest. Return to Bacharach using the ferry to St. Goar and the train to Bacharach. Return to St. Goar to see the 8:30 fireworks from the riverfront.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 03:11 PM

mokka4, check your source, the fireworks are on Saturday, I'm pretty sure; my source says 20:30 but that's probably just to get folks there early.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 03:35 PM

Oh boy Fuss! You are SO correct!
My bad. Fireworks on Saturday 9/16, first Lighting at 9 pm. Thanks for catching!
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 04:43 PM

Bacharach--->St.Goar by train is 10 minutes direct (or 34 minutes with one change) and 3.90 E one way, FYI!
Bahnhof= train station
KD = boat landing (discharge/alight).

Cochem Bahnhof-->St. Goar by train is 1:36, with a change required in Koblenz.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Well, I had no idea that all these activities were taking place during our stay. Thank-you so much for all the info. We will definitely be taking in some of the activities. Also, thank you Fussgaenger for combining some of the towns for me we can now plan our itinerary and PalenQ for your suggestions. I always rely on Fodors for the good advice contributors provide.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

While staying in Bacharach we would like to do a Rhine Day Cruise. From what I have read it seems the best scenery nearest Bacharach would be from Bingen to St. Goar or Boppard. I did find schedules for K-D lines but one website was in German and the other only provided a 2017 schedule. Can anyone provide me with a website providing a 2018 schedule. Also, our only day to do a cruise would be Friday, Sep 15. Would it be wise to purchase a ticket in advance?
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 01:23 PM

KDrhine.com under 'schedule'= English site.
"...only provided a 2017 schedule....
I do not understand. Is your trip NEXT year, in 2018?
The schedule goes through early October 2017. Of course 2018 would not be out yet
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

My mistake.......sorry........yes we are going in 2017!!!!!! I am trying too hard�� Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 01:40 PM

Reurchasing in advance. I never have. What if the weather is dreary on Friday?
That said, more people will be on the boat due to the St.G/GH fairs...
In any event, in this rare occasion, I would buy a First-class ticket, as there may be more opportunities to find a seat. Second class has limited areas.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 01:43 PM

Where did THAT come from? Re: purchasing....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -