stupid Venice Question

Search

stupid Venice Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupid Venice Question

As I look at hotels in Venice I note that most of them are only available by water vehicle. So let's say you arrive by train or car. You have a luggage for several weeks of traveling with you. How do you get to the hotels with said luggage? I picture it being kinda of difficult on little boats? Can the water taxis pull up directly at the hotel or does one still have to walk a ways? I'm sure it must be doable as many do it, but it would be nice to understand the process in advance. thanks
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:18 AM
J62

It depends. Some will have their own dock, but not all. Just as common is that you'd get a water taxi (they are not small like gondolas) or vaporetto (water bus), get off nearby the hotel, then walk a ways to the hotel. Once you choose a hotel you can inquire whether they have a porter service. If there are 2 or more of you then one can go to hotel while the other stays with the bags.

I'm sure others will chime in with comments like "I can travel to Europe for 6 weeks with only a purse and a single pair of underwear, don't know why you're not as superior as me." - what you decide to pack is up to you...
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:52 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
J62 -
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll ignore the snark . . . But me personally I'd not arrive in Venice with a boat load of luggage . If you book a hotel with a dock - fine. But if there is no dock you have to drag your bags over cobbles and stepped bridges. Several weeks of travel can easily be accomplished with a 24 or 22 inch suitcase.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 11:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You have a luggage for several weeks of traveling with you.

I agree about trying to not have a ton of luggage in the first place, if you are going to Venice. Because yes it is a hassle. Not just on the boat but you may have to walk over bridges, etc. to actually arrive at your hotel.

I have been to Venice twice. I arrived by train. Then took the vaporetto (boat/ferry) to the nearest stop to my hotel. I had only a small duffle both times. It was doable but I wouldn't have wanted to have more to carry much more (the docks bounce around, the boats bounce around, etc.)
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 12:05 PM

Get a hotel with water taxi access, especially if you have multiple bags each. There's no better way to enter Venice for the first time!

Not a stupid question, by the way. The only way to find out is to ask. Here's a link to the service we used.

https://www.venicelink.com/en

Last edited by Trophywife007; Dec 9th, 2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Add link.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 12:15 PM

Many do it. And many regret taking too much luggage with them.
The watertaxi is not "small". It has a capacity to seat 10 people with varying amount of luggage. Just look at a photo on the web.

First, the amount of trip between where the water taxi drops you off to the hotel depends on which hotel you are referring to. This is not stated. Even when the hotel does have a direct access, it still does not mean you can get there. Just look at how bad the November flood was in Venice. If there was any low bridge before you get to the hotel, you can't get there. Also, depending on how high the dock is located at the hotel, the dock itself could be under the water. If the water access requires going off the Grand Canal, even when the water level is ok, if there is a congestion on the way, you might be told to get off and walk the rest of the way. The driver would just shrug off and tell you the boat cannot go further.

The usual killer dragging luggage on land are the bridges. Most of them don't have ramps. You have to hoist them up and down stairs.

Second, you are not home free after you arrive at the hotel. Unless you are staying in a higher end hotels, they don't have elevators. So you are told the hotel staffs could help you. But, that is if they are available.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Since cars aren't allowed, we'll say you arrive by train. It IS a good question! We had the same reservations when we went to Venice the first time, 29 years ago with a 1 year old baby, with stroller and baby back pack, not to mention a ton of luggage (2 big suitcases where we split the baby stuff between my husband and me). The first thing I did in my research was find a hotel within relatively close proximity to a vapretto stop. That way we didn't have to cross a dozen bridges with baby, stroller, and luggage to get to and from the hotel. It worked just fine. And it was easy getting all of our stuff on the Vapretto, that has an area for luggage.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 12:25 PM

It is not much harder than arriving anywhere with luggage. Walk out of station, get on a vaporetto (water bus) which is pretty much level entry as the dock is floating. Get off at nearest vap stop to your hotel. Walk.
Maybe you have to cross a bridge or two, maybe you have to carry your luggage upstairs in the hotel.

It is no big deal.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 12:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The walking part can include bridges with steps up and down so you need to book a hotel with water/ dock access. We travel with a 22” suitcase and it was difficult going up and down those little bridges.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 01:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Stay on Lido & drive right up to your hotel.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 03:04 PM

When I travel to Venice I try to arrive dressed in a tutu and a boa and just carry an oversized Bottega Veneta tote with an extra pair of underwear.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by StCirq
When I travel to Venice I try to arrive dressed in a tutu and a boa and just carry an oversized Bottega Veneta tote with an extra pair of underwear.
I love a lady who knows how to travel well!
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 03:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I disagree totally that arriving Venice is "no big deal" or "not much harder than arriving anywhere"
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:21 PM

We arrived by plane, took the bus to Piazzale Roma, got the 2 or 3 day pass for the vaporetti from the newsagent shop where the bus had dropped us off, got on the next vaporetto for two or three stops, got off, walked 200 meters to our hotel (level ground, no bridges), and checked in to a room on the ground/ first floor. The whole trip from the airport to the hotel took an hour, maybe a bit less. No part of the trip had been especially demanding.
The hotel had been chosen for its proximity to the vaporetto stop (without bridges), and because it was far enough away from Rialto and San Marco to ensure some "non-touristy" experience (non-touristy compared to the zoo elsewhere).
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Many do it. And many regret taking too much luggage with them."

Traveling with a lot of luggage is almost always a choice and usually not a necessity. But traveling with a lot of luggage does invite some things to consider:

If you rent a car, you'll need one that can hold all of the luggage out of sight and/or in the trunk. This usually means renting a car that is larger than you would otherwise need or want.

If you travel by train, you'll want to imagine climbing on and off trains with all that luggage (because the steps are steep and you can't count on getting any help) and keeping your eyes on all of the pieces.

If you stay in hotels, you may want to pay more attention to the size of room you reserve. We've stayed in some rooms that were very small with little space for more than a couple pieces of luggage.

Alternatively, you could see whether your hotels offer overnight laundry service. Then use the laundry service every 4-5 days and pack less clothing in fewer/smaller pieces of luggage.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:31 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_S_Aus
It is not much harder than arriving anywhere with luggage. Walk out of station, get on a vaporetto (water bus) which is pretty much level entry as the dock is floating. Get off at nearest vap stop to your hotel. Walk.

Excellent advice in #6 and above.
We arrived by train and did as Peter said.
We returned by plane so took the Alilaguna to the airport.

We stayed in a wonderful hotel - the Hotel Galleria - and we did not have to deal with bridges at all. It is just steps away from the Accademia brdige vapretto stop in one direction and a slightly longer walk to the stop for the opposite direction. It's a short walk to the stop for the Alilaguna. We loved the hotel for many reasons, but not having to deal with bridges was a big plus!

On my next trip I'll probably follow trophy's lead and take a private water taxi. We DID take a water taxi tour on the first night (with prosecco and apps) it would be a wonderful way to arrive in Venice.

Here's a link to the hotel -
https://www.hotelgalleria.it/
Highly recommend. We stayed in the biggest room and spent hours watching the view of boat traffic just out the window on the Grand Canal. They bring breakfast to the room on a silver tray and I would stand at the window, fascinated, while eating the best peach crossant ever.

Good luck and NOT a stupid question.

We each had a rolling suitcase and one other tote type of luggage. If you have a LOT of luggage, I would definitely do the private water taxi option.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:45 PM

Another caveat with arriving in Venice with a lot of luggage and trying to haul it to your hotel, is that you may find Venice difficult to navigate and may have to walk further than you like if not near a water taxi stop. I usually have no trouble finding my way almost anyplace, but in Venice I was continually getting lost. Fun when without luggage but with luggage, it’s no fun.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:57 PM

From the looks of Google Maps/Street View, your hotel is on the Grand Canal with a possible dock where a taxi can let you off with only a few feet of walking to the door. However, it may be a private dock...as stated earlier, check with your hotel. However, there is Vaporetto stop very close (~200 ft) which would not involve any steps as well.

...and it's always good (not snarky) advice to travel a light as you can -- realizing that everyone has his own needs a lifestyle -- but especially in Venice. The cobbles and stepped bridges can be a real hassle with a lot of luggage -- as well as hard on the luggage itself. We always travel with 20" and 21" carry-ons for trips up to two weeks. We actually had the wheels of one of the bags destroyed by the cobbles on one visit...had to buy a new one.

ssander
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 05:58 PM
kja

NOT a stupid question, IMO. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for many of the responses. While the advice to cut down on luggage is undoubtedly well-intended, no one needs to know the reasons behind your choice, nor even whether it is a lot or not. Again, IMO.

For reasons laid out by greg, historytraveler, HappyTrvlr, and a few others, there are challenges to arriving in / departing from Venice that are not common to other locations. They aren't insurmountable, but worth thinking through in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -