Reload this Page >

Stupid question, but I need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Alex

Will be traveling by train between Salzburg and Munich...where do I need to show my passport? Is there an extensive customs process? Sorry if this is a dumb question but haven't travelled between countries via train before.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Adam

Last time I rode the train the customs guys got on the train and checked people. When they were done they got off. You don't have to do anything except show your passport when asked.<BR><BR>Last time I went I drove and never had my passport checked at any border. So they may not check on trains anymore either.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Capo

Hi Alex. Once you're in one of the EU (European Union) countries, I don't believe there are any customs or passport checks when you enter another EU country.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Bob Brown

I rode last September 22 from Salzburg to Munich. There are no customs checks or passport checks. If driving by car, you do not even see a check point when crossing from Austria into Germany.<BR>We drove from the &Ouml;tztal, town of L&auml;ngenfeld, to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and back to Austria near Innsbruck. I was surprised that there was nothing except a sign that said in effect Entering Germany. That was it.<BR>Esentially, you show your passport when you enter Western Europe and don't show it again until you leave the EU. For that reason you show it going into Switzerland. I think mine was checked 3 times: entering France, leaving Munich, Germany to come home, and in Philadelphia where I landed.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Bob Brown

Essentially! Two of those little s letters. And, I was on the train that last trip.<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 06:59 AM
steve

I have made that trip a couple of times and never remember even being checked for a passport. Now with integeration of the EU, it is i believe non existant. Even 30 yrs ago (when I was trying to get as many stamps as possible in my passport), it was nop big deal. While once going from Belgium into Holland, the guards didn't even come out of thier house, just waived us thru.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:12 AM
John G

The last time I took at train between Salzburg and Mittenwald, Germany, a customs agent did board the train at the German/Austrian border to check passports. He hardly even glanced at mine. He didn't do anything else, no questions or looking at luggage. This was over 10 years ago, however. Why don't you call the German Embassy and ask?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:16 AM
Grasshopper

Ours were inspected on a train between Switzerland and Italy last year.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:17 AM
Honestly

&lt;&lt;Why don't you call the German Embassy and ask?&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Why don't you make a stupider suggestion?<BR><BR>There is NOT an extensive customs process. It'll get checked on the train or not. What would be the justification for calling the German embassy? Can you imagine how long Alex would be on hold while they try to understand the question and find someone to answer it?<BR><BR>