Study Abroad advice in Europe summer & fall 2022

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am a senior in college looking to extend my graduation in order to study abroad this summer (2022) and fall (2022) in Europe. I really want a study abroad experience (was originally going to go abroad to Sweden my junior year but that got canceled due to Covid). As a senior, I will have finished most of my major classes (microbio major). I can, if I wanted to, take random classes (outside my major) or find bio classes or internships while I'm abroad to make me more competitive post graduation.
I'm choosing to study abroad versus just go abroad because I want the "study abroad experience". I think it'll be safer and easier of a transition to be around other abroad students and it's more economical to go through my school's programs. That being said, I really just want to see and explore Europe. I've never been been to Europe before(born & raised in LA) I'm wanting to choose 2 programs: one program in summer and one program in fall. I need advice on lots of things!

for summer: I'm looking for somewhere warm & good nature & good atmosphere
I have a desire to go to eastern europe because the nature looks stunning there (my school doesn't offer any programs in eastern europe)
I'm thinking about Prague? I've heard it's cheap(ish) and pretty central/eastern (easy travel)
or Italy (i heard the south of italy is beautiful) also pretty central

for fall: I'm looking for somewhere not too cold (is that possible lol?) pretty central to travel during the fall, nice people, good environment
I was considering netherlands because the culture & atmosphere seems great but it seems a little far north (& cold)
I was also considering Germany even though its cold, its super central and they have great universities
Sweden's program for the fall is the cheapest and looks so charming & people seem nice but seems pretty far from everywhere else
also considering (italy, switzerland)

there are a lot of factors I'm considering & a lot I still need to research on but would love any advice + personal experience.
I'm a young, petite woman and want to make sure I'm making smart decisions while in a new country, a new continent. Places where people are more friendly to americans? places with younger crowds? lax with covid? not too touristy/crowded? great culture, beautiful nature, safety, food, economics ahhhhh thanks in advance )
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You mention "central", twice, not really a thing.

Americans are generally liked, but it is people who are liked not countries.

If I was doing this my first challenge would be language and the second would be university quality. Assuming you don't want to disappear in UK or Ireland then I would look at Spain or Germany.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 01:16 PM

First of all, welcome to Fodor's. I hope you find the kind of information you are looking for here. I would always recommend the German universities because they are so good, but you sound as though you are wanting to travel more than worrying about study. A student visa is a good way of getting time in Europe, but I would also be thinking about that piece of paper at the end of the course, because it will impress employers more if you are single-minded about pursuing your education. So balance is the key. Do look into Germany. Göttingen is one of the quintessential student towns with a great nightlife, but also a very serious university. Tübingen likewise. Make sure you do a language course while you are in the country, it is a great opportunity. Germany is also very central and you have Frankfurt airport which is the hub to just about everywhere. The east is cheaper than the west, but less cosmopolitan. Berlin is a great city for creative types, and cheapish, but gentrifying quickly.

I am also not sure what you mean about lax with Covid. You will have to navigate flying to Europe and some airlines will not take you on board if you are not vaccinated, and at the very least you will be subject to PCR tests before the flight and during transit, that's everywhere in Europe. Also most places in Europe require masks in public still. this is something new about Europe that you will have to learn. I am not sure I would want to visit a country that was not taking care of me! I hope this is not a deal-breaker for you. You will also have to navigate the PCR tests every time you travel somewhere new in Europe, so it will be quite a fiddle, as long as you are aware of that and prepare mentally. So I think you will find a big cultural difference between the way Covid is treated in Europe and in some other countries like the States.

Lavandula
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 01:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just very quick . . . I wouldn't worry too much re being 'central' since all major cities and most '2nd tier' cities are easily reached by budget airlines and/or trains. My first criteria would be finding two schools with good/great programs and reputations in my field.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 01:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You mention the South of Italy in the summer. It will be very hot so I suggest you avoid it and go there in another season.
The Netherlands would give you a wonderful experience. You mention fall and then worry about the cold??
You should worry much more about the summer heat and humidity.
What foreign languages do you speak?
That should be a consideration too if taking classes. My kids had to be fluent in the language of the country they studied in.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Oct 26th, 2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another of the myriad things I would want to look into, check on, understand, etc., is what will the visa requirements look like. Presuming two countries, does that means two different visa applications? If both countries are within the Schengen Zone, how do the total number of days fit within the Zone's maximum stay limits.

As others have mentioned, you'd have to stay on top of ever-changing Covid rules which vary from country to country.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 02:52 PM

The number of days in Schengen are not really important here as the OP will have to apply for a student visa (or visas) to be able to study in those countries.

Lavandula
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 10:16 AM

My daughter studied abroad doing a summer program at Cambridge and a semester in London. She made good friends and was able to easily travel which them on trains and inexpensive flights during long weekends and holiday breaks. She initially was interested in a program in Italy, and studied Italian to prepare, but found the places she chose had more courses related to her majors (double major in English and Psychology.)

Her London program offered the chance to do an internship which she found to be a wonderful experience. Her internship was at a highly regarded institute of Psychology which likely helped her when she applied for her Master's program and jobs afterwards.

I would recommend finding programs that will likely offer both a fun experience but also assist you in your future goals. I would not recommend southern Italy in the summer as the heat and humidity can be stifling.
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 12:32 PM

The Netherlands doesn't get anywhere near as cold as Germany, because it's on the sea. It can be rainy and windy. I lived in the Netherlands in 1986, and I never even needed a winter coat, just a trench coat with a lining, and occasionally a heavy sweater underneath.

I think the Netherlands would be a great place to study. Most people speak English well, and at the university level many courses, especially in the sciences, are taught in English.
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 05:00 PM

Does Perugia have the course work you need?
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 05:31 PM
mjs

What are your plans after you graduate? How do you plan on finishing all your requirements?
in general US study abroad programs are usually an extension of the home University sometimes in collaboration with other Universities. The instructions are in English and
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 05:51 PM
mjs

]What are your plans after you graduate? How do you plan on finishing all your requirements?
In general US study abroad programs are usually an extension of the home University sometimes in collaboration with other Universities. The instructions are in English and usually with professors of the home(s) Universities. One of my daughters college did it differently in that the students matriculated as a non degree student in a variety of foreign Universities. There were Minimum GPA requirements and the students had to be accepted into the University. Oxford and Cambridge for example had a min GPA requirement of 3.7. In Universities with instructions in other languages like the Sorbonne the extra requirement was language proficiency. This required 2 full years of college level French plus a qualifying exam followed by summer school for language in that foreign country. I personally think these later programs are more enriching. Cambridge which requires a year can’t be beat for microbiology.
I am not sure what lax Covid means and I don’t think central means anything as you can usually travel anywhere pretty easily by train or plane.
If warmish weather and sun are important for you for the fall I would look at Spain.
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would start with the schools and programs you are interested in. Rather than try to figure out where in all of Europe you want to go. That should narrow things down significantly. No sense finding your dream places, if they do not offer the educational opportunities you are seeking.

Another idea would be skip the school part, and just take a trip to Europe. Not sure there is anything "safer" about going to school instead of simply traveling? Plenty of young people plan and take solo trips to Europe!

Not sure what you mean about "lax about covid". You want to go places that aren't strict with protocols??

Anyway... welcome to Fodor's!! And good luck in your planning.