Striking Parisians

Search

Striking Parisians

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Striking Parisians

Kerouac (or anyone who knows)...I read your thread regarding strikes in Nov. We will be with a group of 30 high school students and teachers in Paris 11/16~11/24, right during the height of this strike.

Do civil servants operate all of the museums? We were scheduled for a private showing of St. Chappelle. I know we will have fun anyway, but any suggestions on other sites that may not be affected will be appreciated.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Not long ago some Louvre workers were on strike and they simply opened the doors and let everyone in free

guess that was ticket staff but it did happen
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Well I guess that showed them who was boss! We have already paid for most of our museum passes so it will be interesting to see how rebates are handled if in fact we can't get in.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Rebates???????????????
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Oh rats! Here I thought we were going to have a nice discussion about good-looking French people..............
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Lesson is there is no reason to buy museum passes before going simply 1- they are readily available for a cheaper price i believe at museums - go to a lesser one and no lines

simply because the French penchant for strikes
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

The museum entry was included in the price of our packet. If we can't get in I will try to get refunded through the company...I know, lots of luck, but it will be worth a try. I don't give up easily.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:45 AM

I was wondering about that - thanks for explaining. Hopefully museums will be open.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Striking Parisians is not considered good form, but giving a slapping to a Savoyard is to be encouraged, as is belting a Breton and larapping a Lyonais.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 01:23 PM

I thought the post was going to be about looks, also.

They don't give refunds for museum passes if there are strikes, or any other reason -- like a holiday falling during your period, basically same thing. The pass info says that.

Civil servants don't operate private museums, of course, of which there are quite a few good ones. Sometimes other workers go on strike, also, in sympathy, though. I don't know anything about this situation in particular, but that's happened. I like the Maillol, which is private... the Marmottan is private , the Jacquemart-Andre, etc.

The Eiffel Tower isn't operated by civil servants. Monuments would be, of course (like Sainte Chapelle), as they are state-owned. Those boat companies on the Seine are private.

Disneyland of course (ha ha), or any amusement park -- but guess if you want to stay in Paris, that's out, as it should be.

I just read the French news--French fishermen are on strike today, apparently, but Monsieur le President is coming to my town tonight for dinner (Wash DC). It didn't say anything about museum gardiens being on strike, it was mainly the teachers (perhaps students, also), and transportation workers -- I guess all state workers, actually, as that date was chosen because it's the date the Assemblee Nationale will be voting on the national budget.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another title:

Striking striking Parisians while striking