Streets to walk in Genoa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to stay in Turin for some time, and visit Genoa for a day. What is the must to see there? Any suggestion for walking tour?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Although Gemoa is a large sprawling city, the old city (within the ancient fortified walls) is the place to head for. If you are driving head for the antique port - usally signed for the large and modern aquarium and park there. The old city leads off from the antique port and is mainly pedestrian, it is also reasonably compact so you can wonder the maize like narrow streets and stumble across churches and other outstanding architectural gems. Must see items are the cathederal with magnificent marble frontage and the UNESCO world heritage street - via garibaldi, where the highest concentration of magnificent merchants villas and pallaces are lined up. Many of these are now museums and art galleries and you can purchase a genoa day ticket that includes admission to them all.

There are some pictures of Genoa here:
http://www.stayinpiedmont.com/pages/new/pictures2.html
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Piedmont_Phil, Thank you, your advice is what I needed!
This will be my first trip to Italy (half-business, alas), and I feel now torn into pieces by wishes to see much in a short stay. I will be in Turin most of the time (10 days, but 5 of them busy during daytime). Planning to visit Genoa and Milan, probably St.Michel abbey... Will appreciate any further advise on my Piedmont stay!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 02:15 AM

Ivan you may well be stretching yourself too thin. The 5 days you have to yourself will not be enought to do 3 major cities. Perhaps you could leave Milan for your next visit?

Turin is a great city and there is a lot to see and do. Outside the city you are surrounded by thr Alps in two or more directions and the rolling hills on Piedmont's wine region in another. Perhas rent a car and trip down to Genoa taking in the famous wine growing Lange or Monferrato on the way (more than a day trip I might add).

You don't say what time of year you will be visiting?
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Piedmont_Phil, thanks again.

I will be there in a month from now - late February and early March. I hoped to see some of Turin in the evenings of the first week plus one full day, have a weekend in Milano and one day trips to Genoa and St.Michele. I understand it may prove to be too much (or too short). Well, while in Turin, I will make my final decision.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:36 PM

There may be some good skiing to be had while you are in the region also.

Right now there is hardly any snow, so winter sports visitors must be frustrated if they here at the moment. We went to the Alps yesterday, just for the exercise - ended up on the slopes of Mont Viso (about 1 hour SW of Torino) where the ski lifts were closed, and about 1ft of snow. Maybe February will bring snow (it did last year).

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Oh, no, I am not a ski fan, and moreover, I had a ligament break last Summer.

I enjoy street walking and ancient building watching - as well as everyday street life. I must confess that I am a history professor (although not of a medieval or Italian history ;-) )
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:29 PM

For history profs a must is Columbo's house, Via Garibaldi, the old quarter with medieval houses...I used to live in Genova.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:51 AM

well Turin and Genoa are ideal cities to enjoy your walking, they are both easily navigable, relatively safe and full of great sites (historic and otherwise). Not so convinced about Milan, but prepared to be wrong.

In light of your qualifications you might want to plan more than a day in Genoa - it is remarkably well provided for in history and museum facilities.

I did see some recent claims that Columbus actually came from a Piedmont village - that's an entertaining debate..
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:43 AM

Since we're talking about walking in Genoa here, could one of you tell me if it's walkable from the Brignole station to the Bristol Palace on V. Settembre near V. della Casaccie/V. Roma? Or, with a rolling bag, would it be better to taxi?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:56 AM
rhapsody

I am goin there meself. See this:

http://www.premier.net/~Italy/genoa.htm

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:55 AM

Holly - your hotel is an easy walk from Brignole station. Cross the piazza in front of the main station exit and turn right (when you have the station at your back) down Via XX Septembre. Your hotel is on your right after about 3 blocks (of course they are not blocks in Genoa).
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks, Phil!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:03 AM

DW and I were in Genoa yesterday for a spot of shoping. Not doing the tourist thing - but what a pleasure, shops that are origonal - no chains, just interesting choice - winding through the maize of small streets in the old town. Also great views of the harbour (historic lighthouse etc) and town from the sea end of the newly restored cotton warehouses (now car park and cinema/exibition centre).
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:18 AM

What did you buy???
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:30 AM

DW bought clothes (what else?) - there are quite a few sales on right now. Sad techie that I am I bought two cell phones - that will work on any GSM network - at a v good price. Also ate very well on the quayside.