Turin or Genoa in 4 days.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Milan for a week in early May for a conference that lasts 3 days and I am wondering which city I should visit for the other 4 days, Turin or Genoa.

I have been to Milan on business before but now I will have some extra time and I have not been to either of these two cities.

Thank you.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 05:48 PM

What are your interests and what type of things would you be doing? I think both cities could keep you busy for four days.

I was just in Genoa last week as a day trip from Milan. I was pleasantly surprised, it was a lot "nicer" than I expected. I wished I'd had time for the aquarium which is supposed to be one of the best in Europe. I basically just did a (self guided) walking tour but if you had a few days I think there would be enough to keep you busy. I guess it depends on your interests. You could also always do a day trip down the coast to Portofino, Camogli, Santa Marguerita, or Rapallo.

I was also in Turin a few years ago and found it also interesting. Had about three days there and had no problem staying busy. Turin has a more northern European (French) feeling to it whereas Genoa is a bit gritty/Italian feeling. Although not as much as I expected. Genoa was much more refined and elegant than I thought it would be and in that way was actually similar to Turin - both have arcaded shopping streets, nice palazzos, etc. One day I did a day trip to Sacra San Michele - I walked up but I don't advise that.

If I had to pick one it would be Genoa.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 06:31 PM
kja

I would strongly encourage you to consult some decent guidebooks, as NONE of us can tell you what you would or would not enjoy in these cities.

You might find this thread of use:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-or-genoa.cfm
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

I don't agree, kja. I think people who have travelled to both of these cities can give their opinion on what they enjoyed best about each. I have done research on both places online but that is still not the same as having dialogues here or on other traveller forums.

Isabel, for example, gave her honest and informative opinion on both places she visited and the city she would choose (thank you very much, Isabel). I am leaning towards Genoa as well, especially that it is by the sea.

Isabel, where did you stay in Genoa? In what area? Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:41 PM

If you have a very strong interest in European modern art (including European cinema) and (relatively) modern Italian political history, then Torino has loads to offer in terms of museums & architecture, plus outstanding cafes, food shops, restaurants, a cocktail scene. Torino was a royal capital that transformed itself into a showcase city for science, political modernity, Italian high-end industry and unity. It still has much of that feel with its focus on "Slow Food" uniting all Italians and an emphasis on innovation. Torino has wonderful views of the Alps.

If you have a very strong interest in the Crusades, or the great age of exploration, or the origins of financial globalization plus love the sea, then Genova was built to rule the seas, and its sailors & shipbuilders are, to this day, some of the most accomplished in the world. The wealth piled up in Genova (not always used with the best of taste) while at the same time, Genova still has the largest unrenovated medieval city center in all of Europe, a maze of spooky of alleyways that were designed (like Venice) to purpose confuse and frighten non-residents (and they still do). From Genova it is possible to take the train to many colorful, scenic beauty spots along the coast, or to vist the mosaics of Albenga (if ou enjoy that sort of thing. Check opening hours). The artistic profile of Genova tends to be small, and its food & wine much more minimalist but unique to the tough geography of the place.

If you pick Genova, you need to do a lot of your own research about navigating the city and neighboring towns, or take a walking tour or two. It's more a commercial center for Italy than an international tourist destination. But contrast, Torino works extremely hard to attract visitors, and the layout of its streets (redesigned in the early 20th c. to accommodate automobiles & electric trams) make if near impossible to get lost. Much easier town to conquer.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:49 PM

Been to both a few times and prefer Genoa myself but also enjoyed Turin.

4 days would be too long for most I think - you could easily split the time or do day trips (like Genoa to the fabled Cinque Terre, just down the coast or from Turin to the Val d'Osta and cable cars into the high Alps.

I love the warren on tiny lanes in Genoa's historic old port area vs the straight modern grid frencharmoire describes.

But you can't go wrong.

Verona and Venice are also easy train rides from Milan.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 04:04 PM

I did Genoa as a day trip from Milan. I debated spending a couple days there but wasn't sure if I'd like it so decided to just do a day. I could easily have spent at least two but I agree that four might be more than you'd want. In which case I'd do a day trip down the coast. However, the hotel I was considering was the Hotel Bristol Palace on Via XX Septembre. I did walk past it and liked the location (though since I didn't stay there I can't speak to what the hotel itself was like, looked fine from the outside).

Other day trips from Milan that I've done (and really enjoyed) have been Bergamo, Pavia, Lugano, Lake Como, Cremona, and Parma.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I really appreciate your advice.

I have decided to spend 2 nights in Genoa then two nights in Turin; I will have the best of both worlds. The train ride is about 2 hours from both Milan to Genoa and from Genoa to Turin, then only an hour from Turin to Milan.

This way I can see both the more modern and the more medieval (I will look up the hotel you mentioned, Isabel).
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 04:24 AM

Have stayed at the Grand Hotel Sitea in the past in Turin and will return there this summer/fall. Really like Turin and the hotel.

Good plan to see both cities.

H
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 04:25 AM

When in Genua, which won't disappoint you, don't forget to visit the Staglieno Cemetery, where the late nineteenth-century funerary art has reached its peak. http://www.staglieno.comune.genova.it/en/node/199 gives you good information on its significance and how to reach it.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, everyone. I will look into the hotels and visit the cemetery when I am there.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 02:39 PM

In Turin I stayed at Hotel Roma e Rocca which I thought was pretty good, right near the train station but across the street from a park, and on an arcaded street with shops and restaurants.

Here's the trip report that includes Turin - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-castles.cfm
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 03:54 PM

The Hotel Bristol has an historic staircase

https://s-ec.bstatic.com/images/hote...4/27433235.jpg

If you have 2 nights in Genova, it will be next to impossible to visit Staglieno, which is outside the city.

I think it is fine that you are spending 2 nights in each place, but many people would not be bored in the slightest spending 4 nights in each city. Generalizations for the "typical tourist" knocks out about 80 percent of peope who travel.