Strasbourg Transportation - Decisions, Decisions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kerouac - does the Ibis Gare have parking?

Weather forecast for Bad Wurtemburg looks like rain this weekend and I've got 4 guests coming from the States. Weather has been lovely until yesterday...wouldn't you know!

I was thinking a weekend in Strasbourg might be just what would fit the bill--something for every interest with ways to stay out of the rain/cold if need be.

Will be driving a van, so not sure what the best parking/transportation scenario is for a higher profile car in Strasbourg.

Husband and I aren't spring chickens anymore so can't walk for extreme periods of time--guests are all students-- they'll be fine no matter where we park. I was thinking of taking advantage of the "trio" 24 hour city transporation pass, but we'd still need to park the van somewhere. My main interests are the Cathedral and Petite France, but I can't speak for the others.

Any suggestions/solutions are appreciated.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but if Kerouac does not give you the info you want, I've been to Strabourg.

Ibis Gare is right in front of the train station on that big "place", which you probably know. It's certainly convenient for the train. It does not have its own personal parking garage, but there is plenty in the area, which there usually is at a train station. The long term Vinci parking garage is at 3 bd Pres Wilson and can handle vehicles up to 1.95m, which should be okay for a van unless it's really a big one or commercial. If so, I do not know the best, maybe kerouac will say. How tall is your van?

YOu can easily walk to Petite France from that Ibis and the cathedral. But if you don't want to walk very far at all, you can get a taxi, it won't cost that much. Now that do have a tram and bus lins in Strasbourg, so that would work for those who don't want to walk so much. Of course, those two areas you mention are pedestrian only, so trams and buses aren't allowed in them, as far as I recall. The Petite France area isn't very far from the gare, but I don't know how far you can walk. A taxi is allowed into it.

I don't know the closest tram stop to the cathedral, there is one on Place Kleber, I know. Hope someone else can help you more on that one.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM

There's an underground parking garage right under Place Gutenberg, which is about a half block away from the Cathedral. (And right next to the Hotel Gutenberg, which we enjoyed very much last winter, if you are still looking for a hotel.)

Have you see the www.parcus.com website? There's a link to it from the Strasbourg tourist office's web site. There's a downloadable PDF file of a map, with all the parking areas, routes, etc. Check it out, it's helpful.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies Christina and NanBug.

Yes, I had checked the parcus website, but not being familiar enough with the city I was having trouble figuring out the tram/bus stop name locations at they relate to the two areas of interest.

I had seen the Place Gutenberg parkhouse but wasn't sure about the height of the van, thus the Ibis Gare consideration. When Husband gets home I will measure the van--it's your standard 6-8 person van...probably a good thing to know anyway for those low clearance situations!
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Can anyone recommend any of the parcus sites over another? We will be driving to Strasbourg on a day trip, so close to the city center is preferable; however, while we have driven in Europe quite a bit, we are leery of driving in towns and city centers. Any recommendations are much appreciated!
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM

I stayed in Strasbourg for a few days before I picked up my car at the train station. From what I could see, I would NOT have wanted to drive around in Strasbourg! If I were you, I would park near the train station and walk into town from there, as Christina mentions. It's really not far to the Petite France area (where I stayed) nor to the Cathedral, museums, etc. I also enjoyed a boat ride, which took you to parts of Strasbourg you might not otherwise see. I loved Strasbourg!
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 01:27 PM

We went to Strasbourg as a daytrip from Obernai. We left our car at a Park+Ride at Elsau & caught a tram into Strasbourg city centre. The cost of parking included tram tickets (driver/passengers). You might choose a different line depending on which direction you are coming from.

www.cts-strasbourg.fr/en/Services/Parkride.aspx