Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Strasbourg or Colmar? Dijon or Beaune? Montpellier?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at options for several days between Koblenz, Germany and Barcelona by train. Does anybody have suggestions/opinions for overnight stops? Strasbourg or Colmar? Dijon or Beaune? And then Montpellier? I obviously wouldn't have a lot of time in each city, but would want to be able to walk from the train station to a moderately-priced hotel and then see something of the city center/old town. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 12:25 AM

You might check out voyages-sncf for the French portion to look at actual routes and times. In France,the "all roads lead to Rome" saying becomes "all (train) roads lead to Paris". You may find that you have to go to Paris to catch the TGV heading south.

If you can find a direct train from Strasbourg to your next connecting city, Strasbourg makes a wonderful stop-off. We have over-nighted there twice and it is just the right size to be able to see a large variety of sights within a small, manageable radius. Wide range of hotels available on Place de la Gare (we use Ibis) so you don't have to hassle with luggage through trams or streets, excellent easy to us transportation options. Fantastic cathedral, beautiful historic old town, great eateries. Very helpful Tourist Office in the train station.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 02:35 AM

Total riding time between Koblenz and Barcelona will be 15 hours, so it IS a wise idea to make at least two stops.

The fastest connection stops in Brussel (think about this destination - the train station is right in the city center), in Paris-Charles de Gaulle (if you want to visit Paris, take a different connection, see below), Lyon (certainly a worthy destination for a stop), Nimes (a fascinating provencal city with the best Roman ruins in France) and Montpellier (IMO not a number one destination).

From Montpellier, you take a regional train with many stops in quite charming Languedoc towns, e.g. Sete (picturesque port), Agde, Beziers...

I would probably stop in Lyon AND Nimes.

This connection does not stop in Dijon and Beaune. However, you can take a different connection which takes slightly longer with stops there. Then, I personally prefer Beaune, which has some unique medieval sites (esp. Hotel Dieu - an ancient hospital, very picturesque and historically significant) and wonderful wine caves.

There is another connection via Trier, Luxembourg, Metz, Paris-Est. Metz is a worthy destination, with a charming old town and a grand cathedral. This connection will be the best option if you want to see Paris, because Gare de l'Est is right in town. If you do NOT want to see Paris, do not take this connection, because you have to travel within Paris to Gare de Lyon to continue the trip. The next stops are Valence and Nimes.

You can also take the train from Koblenz to Strasbourg or Colmar and from there via Paris-Est and Paris-Lyon southwards. This connection will be definitly more hassle (esp. Colmar), unless you want to stop in Paris anyway.

BTW, have you ever thought about a flight?

Germanwings offers cheap flights from Cologne to BCN (e.g. 89€).
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 06:26 AM

I'd prefer to stay in Beaune and take the bus to Dijon. It runs frequentrly between and stops in some vineyard towns along the way. We acrually stayed in Aloxe Corton and took the bus to both places, even though we had a car
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies; I'll check train connections; I don't mind train changes, and I won't be in a big hurry, but yes, flying is an option, too. Koblenz to Paris and then overnight train Paris to Barcelona is another option, but seeing a bit of France along the way appeals to me. Maybe I could overnight in Nimes instead of Montpellier; will check train schedules.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Strasbourg is very good in the centre but is a major city so has the usual detritus on the outside. I think I could use a day there as you describe. Colmar is pretty small and very little to do apart from eat/taste/drink and wander.

Beaunne as per Colmar. Dijon is a proper city and a bit smaller than Strasbourg. It would be my second choice
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I thought Beaune was pretty dull, and would much rather stay in Dijon myself. If this is one overnight, I don't think staying in Beaune and then bussing around to see things makes any sense as it would take up too much time.

I relaly liked Montpellier, but you could stay in Nimes if you want to for some reason.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM

>>From Montpellier, you take a regional train with many stops in quite charming Languedoc towns, e.g. Sete (picturesque port), Agde, Beziers...<<

Or take the direct no-train-change option to Barcelona which arrives at the Franca station.
lv 7:27 ar 12:33
lv 3:09 ar 8:00

To get from Koblenz, there are 2 not-through-Paris routes:
lv 7:16 ar 17:00 via Brussels 2 changes
lv 9:15am & ar 19:00 via Lyon 2 changes

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:43 AM

>>To get from Koblenz,<<

Should be:
to get to Montpellier (which I love) from Koblenz

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

After checking and rechecking train schedules, I'm now leaning toward Koblenz to Montpellier not-through-Paris and then to Barcelona Franca. ...although Strasbourg sounds really nice, too. Another question -- how far apart are the Barcelona Franca and Sants stations? Which part of the city are they in?
And, Stu, can you suggest a moderately priced (a single for under $100?) hotel in Montpellier, preferably between the train station and the city center/old town?
Am appreciating the considered and thoughtful replies. Thank you all.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 04:52 AM

Barcelona Francia is between El Born and Barceloneta (Placa de Catalunya), Sants is northwest of Barri Gotic. The distance between both is about 1km, 5 min by underground train number 1.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Echnaton!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked the exact same question about Strasbourg and Dijon last year - see my French trip report (click on my name) for the answer...

Have you looked at night trains? The Elipsos Trenhotel (http://www.elipsos.com/htm/default.htm?lang=3) runs from Paris and Limoges to Barcelona, and from Geneva, which might work better. I took this train from Barcelona to Milan and it was very comfortable.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

I enjoyed reading your trip report, thursdaysd! Good information! The more I read and research, the more I'm liking the idea of 1 or 2 nights in Strasbourg and then on to Barcelona in one long day. I did consider a night train, but I do enjoy seeing the countryside along the way. Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM

I don't know about the logistics but Montpellier and Beaune are two of my favorite towns in France and either one would be a terrific one night stop.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, JohnKeatsTRAVEL. I will consider Beaune.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM

One destination close to Strasbourg is the German concentration camp Natzweiller Struthof. When I was in Strasbourg it was the only chance I had to go to one and it mattered to me. If it matters to you then this could be a factor.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I've stayed in Both Colmar and Beaune. All four are very different. Had a wonderful meal in Beaune and an easy walk from our B&B.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 08:22 PM

I have visited Strasbourg and Colmar. They are both worth seeing and it would be good if you could see both. However if it is only to be one I would choose Strasbourg.