Stopover in Dresden?

Mar 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Stopover in Dresden?

Going by train from Prague to Berlin in May. Thinking about stopping over in Dresden. Is there a place to store luggage? It says there is on www.bahn.de, but I'm not quite sure of my translation.

Is the sightseeing convenient to the train station? Does Dresden deserve an overnight instead?

Any other likely stopovers between Prague and Berlin?
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Yes, there are enough lockers in the Dresden Central Railway Station. And yes, Dresden is definitely worth an overnight.

Quite some posts here on Dresden - just do a quick search.

I.
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:30 PM
J62

Dresden is definitely worth a stopover. If you can spend a full day/night then definitely do so. If you cannot, but can stop for an afternoon or morning then by all means make the stop & visit Dresden.
Mar 5th, 2008, 02:54 AM

Hi Mimar,

Absolutely!!! Just get to the old town area and experience the wonder of the massive architecture and the use of space -- and let the history of this city wash over you. I'm betting you'll opt for at least one overnight.

s
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:12 AM

I visited friends who were based in Dresden for 2 years - I wasn't expecting to be so "taken" with this city. It is most definitely worth experiencing this historic place.
Mar 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM

How long is your trip - how many days Prague and Berlin? Depending on that answer, I'd say either an overnight or a day stop. We did a 2 night (one full day) side trip to Dresden from Berlin. It would be a great combination with the cities you are visiting and will break up the train ride nicely.

The train station is not that close to the old town. We took a taxi which wasn't bad.

I think that Saxon Switzerland is between Prague and Berlin, and a few smallish towns that looked interesting to me. We didn't end up visiting any, though, just Dresden.
Mar 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM

There's plenty to see in and around Dresden, one could be busy and happy for weeks. So if you can, stay at least one night.

I won't start to list all the many interesting places in the surroundings because you won't have enough time to leave the city anyway.

I'll be, IF the trains are running, in Dresden myself the week after next for a 4-night visit (my fourth, in fact), which I consider rather short but can't stay longer.
I hope to make it to Freiberg for a day this time, and I don't know how I deserve getting The Best Guide Of All (*twinkle*), but somehow it seems that I do!
Mar 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help.