Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paging travginny: how was your stay in Limoux in 2005?

Mar 9th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi, travginny! On one of my trip reports from 2005 you mentioned that you were going to stay in a gite near Limoux. I am now planning a trip to that area in October and am considering a gite on the edge of Limoux. I wonder if it could be the same one. It's GDF #1168. Even if it's not the same gite, I'd love to hear about your stay in Limoux and if you found it a pleasant town to stay in. Many thanks!
Mar 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM

Hi Betty,

I very much enjoyed my stay in Limoux. I looked up GDF #1168 and it isn't the gîte we rented. Ours was a small cottage for two with beautiful views, also located within walking distance to the town centre (Villa Ste-Marie, French Connections #100081).

In Limoux, we went to the Catha-Rama and saw a movie about the history of the Cathars. We also visited the winery where the famous Blanquette is made. The town centre is quite pretty.

I found Limoux to be a good base to visit the region: Carcassonne, 20km to the north; the historic Cathar châteaux to the south; the small towns along the Med; Andorra up in the Pyrénées. So much to see!

I don't know what your interests are, but if you'd like to know more about the Cathars, sample good wines, see beautiful scenery, then you should enjoy your stay in Limoux.

Ginny

I

Mar 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ginny. I'm going back with one of the ladies who went with me in 2005. You may remember my writing about her climbing to the top of Montségur at age 72. She just didn't get enough of that area and its history.

We will probably take the house in Limoux. It's near everything she wants to see. I know she will want to see the Catharama and I , at least, will want to try some of the Blanquette. I also like being near a town of a decent size for shopping or eating out. Would you have any restaurant recommendations in Limoux or nearby?
Mar 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Hi Betty,

I liked Limoux for the reason you mention: A town of a decent size for shopping and eating out. We enjoyed staying near Uzès for the same reason. We were also within walking distance of the town centre.

I didn't write down the names of the restaurants where we had a meal in Limoux. I'm sure there are some good one under the arches in the town centre.

Have a good trip!

Ginny
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

OK. Thanks, Ginny.