stopover from Leysin to Venice?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Deb

stopover from Leysin to Venice?

Any suggestions for a good stopover for 1 night on train trip from Leysin Switzerland to Venice. Any route suggestions also.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Shannon

I'm sure there's someone who could help me with this one, but on that route we passed this area, either Domodossoia or Stresa, or somewhere between the two, where we looked out on this lake with what appeared to be an island that was THE most breathtaking thing I've ever seen. We promised the next time we did that trip we'd stop there for the night. Where that is, you must stop and stay the night!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:19 AM
s

Hello Deb,

I used the SBB website (www.rail.ch) to see how the train goes -- and it goes right through Stressa. So I'd second Shannon's suggestion to stop there and take a breather.

I guess you're driving (?), so you can check the driving route with www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com.

s

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Daniel

Stresa is a good idea. Take the ferry out to the Borromean Islands.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Daniel

I recommend you to visit all the three islands, they are quite different.
Isola dei Pescatori is smallest, Isola Bella with Palazzo Borromeo and gardens, and Isola Madre - the largest and most romantic of the islands.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Shannon

For future reference, are the Borromean Islands the ones I saw looking out the window of the train? Any suggestions as to hotels?

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Daniel

The Borromean Islands are what you saw. They are very visible from the train on the main line between Switzerland and Milan via the Simplon tunnel.

Deb may take a train from Aigle 31 minutes past the hour. Some direct (11.31, arr 13.48), others with a change at Brig.

Many years since I was there, so I can´t recommend any hotels or restaurants. Try www.stresaonline.com.

Hotel Verbano is on the picturesque Isola dei Pescatori (the Fishermen´s Island).