Search

Fussed to Venice: Best route?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fussed to Venice: Best route?

Hi everybody,
I will be taking a trip to Europe this summer, and I just need some advice on a driving route. I will be in Fussen, Germany, and I want to drive to Venice, Italy. I have looked at possible routes, and I have been looking at mainly three (but I am open to any suggestions). The first is just a straight shot down through Innsbruck, through Verona, and then over to Venice. The second is driving over to Salzburg and then down through Udine, and then over to Venice. The third is going over to Lake Constance, and then driving down through Switzerland, and through Como, Milan, Verona, and then to Venice. What I am looking for is the most scenic route. Time is not an issue, but I would like to keep driving times to under 9 hours. I will not be making the drive in one day, so if you have any suggestions as to cool places to stop, those would be great. Like I said, I am open to any suggestions, and what I am looking for is the best scenery. I have heard that Lake Constance, and Lake Como are really beautiful. I have heard that Salzburg is a really cool city. Also I know that they way through Innsbruck will take you close to the Dolomites, and I have heard that those too are really beautiful. Any input is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to reading your suggestions! Thank you
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Whoops meant Fussen
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Was trying to work out why you were "Fussed" going to Venice!!!

I'm a fan of the Brenner Pass scenery, but with a slight detour. You could drive back up towards Munich but visit the Tegernsee and the follow the road into Austria and onto the Achensee, with lunch/photo stops along the way. Then drop down into Innsbruck (stay the night) and onto the Brenner Pass onto Venice. Mind you, make sure you get a good day weather-wise so the two lakes are not shrouded in cloud. You should be fine in Summer, but check a little ahead before you decide on the day's route.

You could also detour to Lake Garda and stay (although if it's August I'd forgoe that as will be v busy).

I also like your Lake Constance, Lake Como route - will be scenery-o-rama on that route, but narrow roads so an experience along with scenery. The drive around Bellinzona is pretty too - lakes and mountains - but not as much as a little further north. Take your pick and stay in Lugano on the lake or continue on through Lugano on the road to Menaggio and and stay on the western side of Lake Como (Tremezzo, Lenno, etc) for the night before continuing on to Venice, via a stop at Sirmione on the southern part of Lake Garda, and Verona.

Plenty of options for scenery, perhaps pick the towns/villages you'd like to see or stay in along the way and that will help.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 07:21 PM

>Whoops meant Fussen
I'd guess you meant Fuessen?
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 07:33 PM

If you want it scenic but not too slow, consider going via Cortina. Driving is somewhat stressfull due to reckless drivers. If the road is open, the Ötztal is the most scenic route you can chose.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

If not driving in one day, are you just doing 1 overnight or are you open to 2 nights enroute to Venice?

If it's amazing scenery you're after, I'd suggest going through the Dolomites. There's nothing else like the Dolomites. You could go via Innsbruck, through the Val Gardena, over the spectacular Gardena Pass into the Alta Badia and on to Cortina d'Ampezzo. From Cortina head towards Venice. I'd suggest overnighting in the Alta Badia.

For a longer, even more spectacular drive, from Fuessen head through the Oetztal, over the amazing Timmelsjoch Pass, then over the Jaufen Pass and then head into the Val Gardena, Gardena Pass, Alta Badia, Cortina d' Ampezzo and on to Venice.

Paul
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:34 AM

Ok heres the deal today: driving from Innsbruck to Verona and wind up in a 2 hour detour, but going home to Garmisch road is open northbound?? Anybody know what going on is it only one way or at certain times? Any way for a day trip Verona and all of Italy is great, hope to see more next time.I need a dog freindly hotel if anybody has some recommendations. New here and will be posting more on trips soon...
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 04:10 PM

"pj1" took the words out of my mouth! Either of his suggested routes would be my choice.