6 days Tirano to Venice

Search

6 days Tirano to Venice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2016, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 days Tirano to Venice

I'm curious how others would recommend filling 6 days/nights getting from the end of the Bernina Express in Tirano to Venice. My husband, 8-year-old son, and I are considering low-key locations where we can relax. So far Varenna and Cinque Terre (or perhaps Camogli or Portofino) are at the top of the list. Are these two spots too similar to each other and we should choose somewhere else? Is it nuts to try to do both before beelining for Venice? I'd love any advice - thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 02:22 PM

When are you going - Portofino and the CTerre are complete mob scenes in July and August? Driving or taking trains?

Varenna is on Lake Como but many prefer to stay in Bellagio (also very crowded in high season) but delightful in say May or fall

consider doing the lakes - Lake Como then over to Verona, a lovely old city worth a full day and you can then move on a short distance to Lake Garda - like Lake Como you need no car to move around the lakes as boats go everywhere - Lake Garda also has GardaLand which your kid may love - kind of like an Italian Disneyland.

The CT is a major detour as if Portofino from Tirano - Lake Como to Venice - would take you several hours there and back towards Venice.

Trains are great - www.trenitalia.com has all the schedules and fares and early booking for discounted tickets can save tons of money - for lots about Italian trains check www.seat61.com- great info on discounted tickets; for general info - www.budgeteuropetravel.com (check out their free online European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of places in Italy to go by rail; and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 02:36 PM

Both Lago di Como and the Italian Riviera are truly lovely places, and they are very, very different, but be aware you will spending a lot of time on the train moving between them, and moving on to Venice. It really doesn't get much better if you drive instead of take the train

I might be tempted to go to the Italian Riviera first, the stop in Varenna on the way to Venice.

As you probably already know, northern Italy is absolutely overflowing with low key locations where you can relax. You could consider staying more to the east and spare yourself a lot of train travel. With an 8 year old, you might want to consider Lago di Garda -- in fact, 2 locations on the lake might be a nice way to fill up all your 6 days, because the northern and southern half are scenically very different and have different attractions.

Or you could think about combining Mantova and Ferrara (with a side trip to Modena from Mantova and to Comacchio from Ferrara).

You'd have even more options if you were willing to rent a car.
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 02:46 PM

On second thought, Varenna is so close to Tirano, it would make sense to go there first.

Another possibility in that area is Bergamo. An 8 year old might think it was fun.

http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo...es/bergamo.htm

http://www.comune.bergamo.it/servizi...ento=categoria

Is it too much hassle and not relaxing to keep switching hotels with an 8 year old? Because if it's not, might be fun to go to Varenna for 2 nights, Bergamo for 2 nights and then 2 nights on Lago di Garda in the town of Peschiera del Garda for a trip to the huge amusement park, Gardaland. Then onto Venice.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 01:40 AM

There are tons of interesting itineraries through the Dolomites, like Tirano - Bormio - Stelvio Pass - Mustair Monastery - Gluorn - Malles - Senales/Grawand (highest situated hotel of the Alps http://www.suedtirol.info/en/Destina...-Environs.html) - Merano - Bolzano - Ortisei - Alta Badia - Cortina d'Ampezzo - Venice
or through the Bergamasque Alps like
Tirano - Edolo - Capo di Ponte (prehistoric rock carvings) - Lake Iseo ww.holidayhome-iseolake.com/the-floating-piers/ - Brescia - Lake Garda - Feltrino - Venice
etc. etc.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 03:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As to time spent on the train: less than 2 hours Tirano-Varenna; less than 2 hours Varenna-Milano; less than 2 hours Milano-Verona; less than 2 hours Verona-Venice.

With 6 days you could easily spend three mid-Lake Como (Varenna/Bellagio/Menaggio) and three others elsewhere.

be aware that the annual opera festival begins in June in Verona which means a lot more visitors will be in that city.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! We are going to be there the first week in August. My 8-year-old is a seasoned traveller, so switching every 2 nights is just fine (I took him to Paris/Zurich/Bruges/Amsterdam/Reykjavik by myself when he was 5 and we had an amazing and wonderful trip!). I think give us some water to play in (son) and some wine to sip (parents) and we'll be in heaven wherever you all send us! I really appreciate your comments.