Stop in Switzerland for 3 Nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the fall, we'll be traveling between Venice and Paris via train and would like to stop for three nights somewhere in Switzerland. Having never been to Switzerland, we're open to any suggestions but are partial to smaller cities, little towns, great scenery, pretty much anything and everything. This will be in the first week of October if that makes a difference.<BR><BR>Thank you for any input.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, this will be in the last week of Sept. I misjudged the dates.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:09 PM

We loved Luzerne, lots of things to see and do - but small enough to walk around. We stayed at Des Balances on the river.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:14 PM

A book that might give you a good idea for an itinerary is Karen Brown's &quot;Switzerland: Charming Inns &amp; Itineraries&quot;. While I wouldn't buy the book (go read it in your bookstore) and I probably can't afford to stay in any of the hotels she recommends, she has wonderful descriptions and some great itineraries (including one that you can do exclusively by train and boat).
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:16 PM

My suggestion is that you first decide on a general route. There is no straight-line train route from Venice to Paris, so you will have to pick the route that will be of most interest to you. Obviously, you also need to make the trip fairly direct without lots of train changes. So I suggest you research the trains schedules and routes, and then come back to this board for more specific advice about the part of Switzerland you'll travel through. If you have a choice, try to travel toward Lucerne and find out what the stops along the way are. There's lots of good scenery and a lot of nice little towns near Lucerne. Good luck.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:27 PM

I took the train from Paris to Bern and Bern to Milan. The second trip was absolutely beautiful. I would think the area around Thun or Interlakken would be a good place to stop. Otherwise, Bern is an interesting city. <BR><BR>If you're taking 3 days to get there you could go to Stresa (take the boat to Locarno and back), then Thun, then Bern.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:07 PM

I have spent quite a few weeks in Switzerland over the last 5 years, with a return scheduled for this year.<BR>Late September is something of a problem. Summer is over, but the days can still be beautiful; they can also be cloudy and rainy. The conditions make visiting the high mountains a little risky. <BR><BR>If the weather looks like it will be clear, let me suggest two blockbuster scenic sites: Zermatt and M&uuml;rren, south of Interlaken. Given your time limit, I think only one of them if feasible.<BR><BR>I suggest considering the Interlaken area because if the weather is lousy, there are more readily available alternatives: Bern, Basel, even Geneva and Lausanne.<BR><BR>If you want to center in a city, take Lausanne. It is gorgeous.<BR>And if you get a clear day, Zinal and the Val d'Anniviers are close enough for a driving day trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Try Kandersteg, it is right on the train route and you can take the lifts up to the lake right from the little town. It is quaint and has not too many small hotels with restaurants.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:20 PM

Good evening, Teach<BR>Do't disagree with all te previous postings,however my choice would be Luzern which iw perfect for three nights. Main sights to see is the old town, transport museum and shopping in<BR>Luzern. By rail, water or bus you have<BR>Mts Rigi, Pilatus and Titlis as well as<BR>Lake Lucerne with its steamers...There are some nice little hotels within the old town area on the quai of the river<BR>Ruess. We have always used the HOTEL<BR>WILDEN MANN which is located on the<BR>opposite side of the river from oldtown<BR>but only a half block away, also a very<BR>excellant Italian ristorante in the HOTEL NATIONAL, the PADARINO.....<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.<BR>