Switzerland: A Pit Stop

Old Jan 28th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland: A Pit Stop

Our itinerary is still not set in stone but as everything is beginning to fall into place it looks like we are taking a train from Venice to either Colmar or Annecy. Because of how expensive Switzerland is, we want to stop over for one, maybe two nights.

Here are several questions:
1) If you were traveling by train from Venice to Colmar or Annecy and wanted to spend one or two nights in Switzerland, what route would you take?
2) Would the train up to Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen be worth the extra expense (in your opinion) if you were on somewhat of a budget OR
3) Would a train from Venice THROUGH Switzerland be sufficient or would you take additional trains?
4) If you chose to overnight, where?
5) If we choose Colmar over Annecy we plan on getting a car .... would you just take a train from Venice to say Basel or Zurich, rent a car and add the Switzerland nights onto the Alsace nights, returning the car back to Basel or Zurich?
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 10:49 AM

I'd take the Venice-Milan-Brig-Spiez-Interlaken route and the next day yes take the mountain trains to see upclose the Alps at their best:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jung...hrome&ie=UTF-8

maybe even take the first day the 20-minute train ride up to Grindelwald and get a hotel there for a day or two. But Interlaken has lots more and hotels in the hills in high season may require more than a one-night stay.

Yes, then take train to Basel, rent car and tool around the Alsace wine road - Colmar is a great base.

Booking trains early (not in Switzerland though) can yield nifty discounts - check www.seat61.com for lots on that - general info trains also BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Perfect, this gives me some focus, thanks PalenQ! I was just referencing a previous post of yours on my last thread .... a post in which you suggested ABS fares in Belgium ... we're working our way back to Amsterdam.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 07:12 PM
kja

I'm sure my comment will seem silly to you, but are you aware that your thread title could be understood to mean that you think of Switzerland as "a pit"? I doubt that's what you meant, but you might want to repost with a title that is a bit clearer. JMO.

My answers:
1) Whatever works most conveniently and with least time in transit relative to time on the ground.
2) Not with the time you have – other options would make more sense to me.
3) Depends on your interests! Could be worth considering.
4) See # 1 above
5) I don’t know enough to answer.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

kja, Can't seem to figure out how to change the title?

At this point I'm leaning in Wengen for 2 nights and then onto Colmar where I will pick up a car?

The other option I see which would be cheaper for just passing through would be to take the train from Lugano to Zurich and overnight in Zurich (bypassing BO altogether).

Again, on a somewhat limited budget, would the 2 nights in Wengen be worthwhile? Or would the train ride from Lugano to Zurich provide that scenic Swiss train ride we're looking for?

Thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 05:36 AM

I think that if you can make it work, Wengen for 2 nights could be worth it depending on the weather... of which of course you have no control. But if it is a sunny marvelous day, your day in Wengen and the hiking trail you do, could end up being the highlight of your trip. Regarding budget: yes it is true that Switzerland is more expensive than some countries; but there are a variety of budget available in Switzerland. Maybe if you are willing to undergo simpler accommodations than you are used to, you can stay in Switzerland even longer. For example my room at hotel Alpina in Mürren is 114 euros; my room in Greece at hotel Grotta in Naxos is 116 euros. Both hotels include breakfast. Same price in two countries, one expensive the other cheaper.

Regarding your original question of staying in BO versus watching Switzerland from the window of a train, there is no comparison. IMO staying in the Bernese Oberland area (further up than Interlaken) is vastly superior than watching Switzerland from a window. And this is coming from someone who really likes trains.

Last edited by ToujoursVoyager; Jan 29th, 2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ToujoursVoyager!
Booked in Wengen, a bit pricey but once in a lifetime for us.
Going from Venice to Basel or Colmar/Freiburg with a stop in Interlaken up to Jungfraujoch. Can anyone advise me as to the best financial train options I have?
I am most likely leaning toward PalenQ's route (Venice-Milan-Brig-Spiez-Interlaken) .... should I buy a three day Swiss Pass? I read somewhere about a Swiss Family Pass without any specifics on pricing? If I'm not mistaken, without discounts it will cost about $150 pp to go from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch .... is that the same price for kids?
Thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 05:22 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Banff
Booked in Wengen, a bit pricey but once in a lifetime for us.
Going from Venice to Basel or Colmar/Freiburg with a stop in Interlaken up to Jungfraujoch.
Are you sure that Jungfraujoch is your priority? As you note, it is not inexpensive, and IMO, the nicest aspects of the Bernese Oberland are the walks (which are easy!) -- not Jungfraujoch. And if seeing glaciated mountaintops is a priority, you might consider the much less expensive option of visiting Shilthorn. JMO.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Perfect... so are you saying that we could just stay in Wengen and enjoy the hikes around that area without taking the expensive, what I thought was "mandatory" cable car up to the top of Jungfrajoch?

At this point right now, we are planning on taking a train from Venice to Colmar/Basel/Freiburg and get a car for the Alsace with 2-3 nights in Switzerland. The BO seems to be quintessential Switzerland which is why we booked two nights there but have cancellation if better options arise. I do want a taste/sampling of Switzerland without breaking the bank. If we stay in Wengen I'm trying to figure our now what my cheapest transportation options are?

Do I take a train to the southern Swiss border, pick up a car and drop it off in Basel? Or do I take trains all around. I did notice that the Swiss Family Pass seems like a bargain in which I can get all four of us 3 days for $500 USD. But to maximize the value of that pass do I take a train from Venice to the Swiss border and then begin using my Family Pass?
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Seems like a waste to get the Swiss Family Pass for 3 days and take a train from Venice to Wengen.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 06:17 PM

"Perfect... so are you saying that we could just stay in Wengen and enjoy the hikes around that area without taking the expensive, what I thought was "mandatory" cable car up to the top of Jungfrajoch?"

Yes, I agree that the hikes around Wengen and Mürren are the highlights. I have been to Jungfrajoch and Shilthorn, and while nice, when I go back this summer, I will not be going back up. I will stick with the amazing Heidiesque walks in the area.

Last edited by ToujoursVoyager; Jan 29th, 2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 06:18 PM
kja

I can't help you with the cost / pass basis. And perhaps I shouldn't comment on the Jungfraujoch, as I chose to skip it -- even with a month in Switzerland. Some people find it a highlight. I don't know what I missed, but know that I loved what I did do and have no regrets about skipping it. Here's an old thread that I remember finding helpful; I'm sure that with a little bit of effort, you can find others:
Ever been to the Jungfraujoch ("Top of Europe")? Worth it?
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both! Feel relieved that I can still visit this area and not feel as though I was short-changed.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

have the link saved to read later, thanks kja!
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 09:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Are you planning to drop off the car in Switzerland or France? If you pick it up in Switzerland and drop it in France, you may incur a very large drop off fee.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 11:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
“Perfect... so are you saying that we could just stay in Wengen and enjoy the hikes around that area without taking the expensive, what I thought was "mandatory" cable car up to the top of Jungfrajoch?”
we enjoyed 8 nights in Wengen on our last trip without visiting Jungfraujoch, and have 4 more nights this June and again it is not on our radar....so much to see and experience, I don’t want to spend hours on a train in a tunnel with the crowds. But it certainly is a highlight for many visitors, just saying it need not be a priority.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 02:22 AM

if you want to go from Venice to Colmar and if it MUST be by train and it is a MUST to travel through Switzerland, the obvious itinerary is
Venice - Milan - Domodossola - Brig - Visp - Spiez - Bern - Basel - Colmar.
The alpine area is crossed between Domdossola and Spiez.
If you want to go in alpine villages, you will have to do a side trip from this leg.

Thre are several possibilities:
Bus from Domodossola to Macugnaga (about 10 EUR RT). The cableways from Macugnaga to the glaciers (14 resp 18 EUR RT) run in July/August only;
Train and gondola from Brig to Bettmeralp/Aletsch Glacier (about 30 EUR RT). Cableway to Bettmerhorn (21 EUR RT, stunning views over the whole Aletsch glacier) runs from June 8th until Oct 20th;
Bus from Visp to Saas Fee (32 EUR/RT). Gondola to revolving glacier restaurant Mittelallalin (88 EUR/RT);
Train from Visp to Zermatt (66 EUR RT). Gondola to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise (80 EUR RT);
Train from Spiez to Wengen (47 EUR RT). Train from Wengen to Jungfraujoch (180 EUR/RT).
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Yes I am aware of the cross country drop-off fees so I would either A) RT car in Basel or B) Train to Freiburg and drop off in northern Germany.

I was originally flying an open-jaw between Ams and Muc but scrapped that when an incredible deal popped up for 32k points non-stop RT from my city to Ams popped up. Therefore, I am now going into and out of Ams. The day I arrive in Ams I have a flight connection to Venice. From that point I am planning on making my way back to Ams via train/car.

The key is figuring out how to alternate between car and train in a way that is cost effective. I have noticed that a 3 day Swiss Family Pass can be purchased for $500 for 2 adults, 2 kids. I thought that pass included Jungfraujoch and/or Shilthorn? If so, it seems to make sense to take a train from Venice to the Swiss border and then use the Swiss Pass for 3 days ....otherwise I'm not sure if the Swiss Pass is worth it.

I'm definitely going to just go to Wengen and hike that area if the pass is not included. After reading I would definitely opt for Shilthorn over Jungfraujoch.

Thanks for the details on routes neckervd!
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 12:20 PM

No pass is not worth it - the Swiss Travel Pass that is - Family pass is simply a free pass that gives kids under 16 free passage on whatever conveyances adults pay for. Swiss Travel Pass does not cover the Jungfraujoch Railway only 25% above Wengen - therefore not even close for you. The Half-fare Card if you take the pricey Jungfraujoch Railways may pay off as 50% off that is a princely sum and you could use for all your other conveyances.

And best to buy a discounted ticket fromwww.trenitalia.com for Venice to Spiez (near Interlaken) or Interlaken and Wengen itself perhaps.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks PalenQ.
Several issues I've had with the Trenitalia site:
1) It doesn't appear that I can purchase tickets from Venice to Interlaken/Wengen? And yet I can purchase tickets on Loco2 for those dates? How could one site offer the tickets while another doesn't?
2) Trenitalia considers a 15 year old an "adult" while loco2 considers them "Youth"? I assume there's a price difference that's not in my favor on Trenitalia.
3) Is it best to purchase the tickets in segments on separate sites? Trenitalia/Sbb?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -