Stop in Cadiz on Way to Morocco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling to Morocco in March 2019. We are planning a stop somewhere in Spain for a 4-5 night relaxing vacation prior to ending up in Morocco. I am reading lots of good things about Cadiz. (We have been to Seville, Ronda, Marbella, Malaga, Madrid, Barcelona and Lisbon and want to try something new.)

We like to see beautiful old towns and architecture, eat good food, maybe some hiking, maybe some golf, and have good weather for March. Beaches are nice but not the end goal. Most posts that I see show Cadiz as a day trip. Do you think 4 days in Cadiz sounds OK? Thank you.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
An informative guide to the town of Rota - Costa de la Luz, Cadiz | Andalucia.com Check out Rota, the historical part near the ferry port is beautiful. I would split it up, two and two. We enjoyed the market in Cadiz but was during a festival and very crowded.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 04:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Cadiz is a very interesting and historical city. I can see spending a few days there. You also can do a day trip from Cadiz to Jerez de la Frontera to visit the sherry bodegas.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 12:22 AM

I agree that Cadiz is a very interesting city but it depends how you want to spend your relaxing time. Do you want to stay in the one place and just walk around or do you want to visit other places by car or public transport? If you have a car then staying a little further down the coast at Conil de la Frontera would be an alternative for a relaxing stay. It has a pleasant old village centre, long beaches and there is enough open in March to make it a comfortable base for a few days. It has good road access to Cadiz, Jerez, Arcos and Vejer. If you don't have a car then Cadiz for 2 days and 2 in Rota as Macross suggests looks good (there is a frequent ferry between the two). March weather can be very variable so do be prepared for some rain and, although you may see some of us Northern Europeans, you will not see many Spanish, other than wind surfers in wet suits, on the beach.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input. We do prefer on this trip to just relax, though not lie on the beach. We will have a car. We will check out Conil de la Frontera and Rota as options.