Stonehenge Transportation

Feb 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Stonehenge Transportation

Hello,
I was wondering if anybody knows how I could get from Earls Court Station to Salisbury ( Stonehenge) early in the morning.
I've been looking for a tour that provides access to the circle in the morning, but I have not found any for the days that I'll be in London ( June 2 and 3). I looked in the english heritage website and they have an application for the stone circle access and the times are 5am, 645am, 8am. I checked the train, but the earliest I would arrive to Salisbury by train would be at 8am. Does anybody know any other way i could make it in time to go into the circle in the morning? Is it difficult/expensive to drive in London? Or any tour (sunrise) for June 2 or 3.
Thank you for youe help
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Sorry - the ONLY ways you could do this are 1) to go the night before and stay over in Salisbury, or 2) rent a car the day before and drive from London about 4:30-5 a.m.
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Confused as to why you must go so early in morning

access to the stones runs all day or are you trying to get there for some kind of tour?

as it's 90 mins London-Salisbury by train (which you'd join in Richmond probably) and then time to the stones.
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM

PQ - "Inner access" to the stones is only before and after normal opening hours . . . . . . .
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM

JJ thanks for clearing that up for me. that may be worth the early hour as opposed to the experience many get during regular hours from the roped off and often mobbed paths.
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone .
I might look in to the car rental.....
Apr 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Hi touchthesky,
Are you planning to stay in Salisbury the night before Stonehenge? I am wondering if it is easy to rent a car from Salisbury. This way you can probably include Avebury stone circle as well.
Please let us know what you find out about car rental. Thanks.
Apr 6th, 2008, 02:26 AM

I agree with those who advise that you go by train the night before and hire a car in Salisbury. The following travelodge is only 2 miles from Stonehenge:

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_h...buryStonehenge

If you book online ASAP online, you get a better deal.

You might also find the Salisbury Museum interesting. It's opposite the cathedral:

http://www.salisburymuseum.org.uk/

Apr 6th, 2008, 03:15 AM

You might also find the Salisbury Museum interesting. It's opposite the cathedralgt;>>.

The cathedral is prety nifty too!

Apr 6th, 2008, 04:22 AM

If you stay in Salisbury the night before you could arrange for a taxi. We paid 35 pounds, quite a lot, about 6 years ago to go to Stonehenge and back. But we didn't know the regular buses that took yo u there stopped at 2 PM during the winter months, so we hired a taxi, at the train station.
Apr 6th, 2008, 05:11 AM

"The cathedral is pretty nifty too! "

Certainly is. Built between 1220 and 1258, with the magnificent spire (the highest in England) being added between 1285 and 1315.

For a background read, try "Sarum" by Edward Rutherfurd. The characters and their stories are fictional but the historical background is accurate.