Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia-Munich roundtrip $247 all fees and taxes included, in February; might work for other Europe destinations (served by United Airlines) also

Search

Philadelphia-Munich roundtrip $247 all fees and taxes included, in February; might work for other Europe destinations (served by United Airlines) also

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not something that I can or will use - - but perhaps you can.

You have to book it on Priceline.com

Do not use "name your own price".

You must enter the desired itinerary like this.

PHL-ORD
ORD-MUC
MUC-ORD
ORD-PHL

as a multi-destination trip (the dates Feb 21 outbound/Feb 25 will work; don't know about other Feb or March dates; does require a Sat night stay and travel on M-Th)

Then you MUST choose one of the itineraries they list which has USAir as the first segment, UA (or Lufthansa) for all other segments.

The price will initially show $417, but then when you will select, you will see:

<< Good news! We were able to find an even lower price for this itinerary. The new price is shown below. >>

and it will be $247.

Reportedly, AMS and other UA (or Lufthansa) destinations will work also as long as you start with the USAir segment PHL-ORD.

Might scratch an itch for you.

Best wishes,

Rex

(courtesy of the wizards at the flyertalk.com website!)
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:52 AM
rex
Original Poster

This fare has now been found for workable dates, mostly in February, but a few in March, for many more cities than just PHL. At least some routes from the following cities qualify: BNA (very limited?), BOS, BUF, BWI, GRR, LAX, MKE, MSN, PDX, PHX, SFO and maybe other origin cities. Destinations do not apparently work beyond a few limited cities served by UA or LH. FRA and MUC are the two cities most often mentioned, and maybe AMS, but not in many cases. No Italy, France or Spain as far as I know.

But onward low-cost intra-Europe carrier fares are available from FRA - - to Poland, for example in the range of $110 roundtrip, all-inclusive.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 08:27 AM
rex
Original Poster

I realize that this whole winter impulse travel thing has proven not very interesting to those who visit this forum.

Still, I am amazed that these extraordinary bargain fares are STILL coming up on Priceline.

For example, BUF-FRA (via IAD) March 5 to March 12 - - for $262, all taxes and fees included, available for purchase right now.

Probably many other departure cities also.

Remember to enter it as "multi-city" (i.e., BUF-IAD, IAD-FRA, then FRA-IAD, IAD-BUF) and choose an itinerary that is USair first leg, then UA or LH for all the other legs.

This is at least $150, if not $200 less than any other comparable transatlantic fares that ANY airline is offering.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks Rex! I just wish I could travel during that time....
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
rex
Original Poster

I remain surprised that these US/UA (Priceline) fares still get not much more than a yawn here - - but, to my amazement, they are STILL there, almost four weeks after they were first "discovered".

Los Angeles - Frankfurt ROUNDTRIP, over EASTER weekend for $309, ALL TAXES and FEES INCLUDED!

Book it like this:

LAX=>LHR
LHR=>FRA
FRA=>LAX
LAX=>LAS

...of course, from a practical standpoint, you would travel with no checked bag and simply get off at LAX, never using the last LAX=>LAS leg (you need that leg on USair to get these crazy low fares).

Hope someone can use this!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Any idea whether any of these will work in the summer Rex? I'm game to try it...even if I do hate USAir!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
rex
Original Poster

$309? Europe, from Los Angeles? in SUMMER?

I can NOT imagine! I can't believe that they are available in MARCH!!

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
rex
Original Poster

Oh, and by the way, Kellye - - the itinerary posted for LAX=>FRA does NOT actually put the treaveler on USAir "metal" on any of the first three legs.

And you skip out on the fourth leg...
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Are you saying if you fly from PHL, you must fly to ORD first?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Gee! such fares! How I envy you.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM
rex
Original Poster

You must fly TATL from a UA hub. Your itinerary needs to contain a USAir leg to or from the UA hub.

The only successful routes from PHL that I have seen started with PHL=>ORD, but IAD might work. You just have to go on Priceline and see what you find.

You can find a lot more info at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785896 (warning: this thread is now 418 posts long!) or feel free to write to me, as I have been tracking the successes and failures of this "glitch fare" for the entire four weeks.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM
rex
Original Poster

Oh, and by the way, if you ARE in PHL and cannot find something that will work for you on this "deal" then there are still fares as low as "$189" (each way, before taxes - - $474 roundtrip, all in) from JFK to Rome (maybe some other similar fares for other destinations also) on www.euroflyusa.com

Throughout March and into some dates in April, I believe.

Just a train away for you, right?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Hey Rex,

The reason that you may have not gotten alot of responses is that some of us have never seen this thread until now!

So, are there any chances that I can get a great price out of Maui? We always have terrible rates to get us all the way to Europe - if I went to priceline, do I need to try to reach ORD first as it's a UA hub?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Wow, rex, I'm really tempted... but I can't figure it out. I've tried numerous dates around and before Easter on the LAX-LHR-FRA-LAX-LAS itinerary, and it comes up with around $1900 pp. I'll keep trying. Sure would be fun just for the heck of it to take a long weekend. (However, going to France in April, so departure can't be too late in March.)
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Rex,

Just tried your original post on Priceline, and I got $287 as a total price, but they did say that there were only 4 tickets left for the itinerary that I chose.

Off to try something from Maui just to see what I can get!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM
rex
Original Poster

To swissflyer...

You ARE using Priceline, right?

And do not use "name your own price".

The dates that I heard will work are March 21-25.

Haven't made any attempts myself tonight to see what I could find.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 04:41 AM

Yes, Priceline and multi-city, no name-your-own-price.

Using the dates you give (21-25), lowest I found this am was $2025.

Then I chose UAL for the preferred carrier. $479.

Great fare for sure, but I'd like it better at $309. I'll keep trying.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
rex
Original Poster

Much to my surprise, flyertalkers are still reporting thast deals can be found on this priceline glitch - - not sub 4300, but in the general sub $500 range, incuding some summer dates (well, May into June, for example). Seems to be predominantly LAX and maybe some other west coast originations; seems to need to go through LHR and mostly destinations in Germany. But a few other originations are working.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM

wow! This is amazing... wish i could take advantage!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
rex
Original Poster

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35121614 for some more concrete details in a specific example, LAX-London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -