Ston or Orebic

Jan 31st, 2009, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Ston or Orebic

We plan to rent a house for a week in September 09 looks like our choices are narrowed to Ston or Orebic Anyone have a recommendation as to which is a better location for beach, wine, and travel to nearby islands? Ston seems to be good because of its proximity to Dubrovnik and Mljet, Orebic because of its proximity to Korcula Don't know much about either town.
Jan 31st, 2009, 07:03 AM

Peg:
My mother was born in the small village of Orebic and I have been travelling there since 1971. It is a lovely small town which is just across from the island of Korcula. The beach in Orebic is at the southern end of town, called Tristenik and it is pebbles not sand. Peljesac peninsula is known for the Mali Plavac grape which produces Dingac, Postup and several other wines. There are 2 ferry boats from orebic to Korcula during high season. One will carry your car and the other is just passengers and it does run about every hour.
Getting to Mljet is another ferry ride about 1 from Korcula. Jadrolinija does not service this route on a daily basis in September.
Ston is a 1 hour drive from Dubrovnik. Driving in Dubrovnik takes guts as the only road rule they have here is "There are no rules." It's going to get very old driving back and forth in 1 week. If you want to rent a house near Dubrovnik, take a good look at Cavtat or Mlini. With a car you can drive to the Peljesac peninsula for a full day of wine tasting and enjoy the sights of Dubrovnik.

Dobrodosli
An American Living in Dubrovnik
Jan 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM

I would say Ston would give you more choice of travelling to other places - but the really important question here is will you have a car?

Orebic is probably about 3/4 hour's drive from Ston, and if you are staying in Orebic your choices are limited. It will mean that time spent backtracking down the Peljesac peninsula (a delightful drive though) before setting off anywhere else, or half an hour driving across to Trpanj and then an hour ferry to the mainland at Ploce, or you have to get the ferry to Dubrovnik or Korcula.

I have driven in Dubrovnik (and coming from England it is on the wrong side for me!) and it is not really that bad - well I didn't find it so in October. I did have a bit of a problem with parking, everyone moves their vehicles so close it did worry me! - but if you have good spatial awareness or someone to guide you in/out then you'd probably be fine.

BUT - this comment from Dubrovniktravelady does worry me...

<<With a car you can drive to the Peljesac peninsula for a full day of wine tasting and enjoy the sights of Dubrovnik. >>

NO!!! In Croatia you CANNOT drink and drive. It is a zero tolerance policy, and personally I would not risk drinking and driving there, the police are quite a visible presence, and I saw quite a few cars pulled over while driving around.

In answer to your original question, I would pick Ston as you have much more choice of places to visit from there.
Jan 31st, 2009, 09:36 PM

Thank you Julia for pointing out an error on my posting. What I meant to say was spend the night in Orebic, after a full day of wine tasting.
Driving and parking in Dubrovnik during the end of the season such as October is not difficult. However September is just as busy as August this past year, it was bumper to bumper and not moving. Getting from the Buza gate entrance to the Pile took 1 hour of waiting. The cruise buses were 5 and 6 deep at the Pile and they held up traffic badly. The new garage will be open next month and this will help the traffic jam at Pile with cruise buses.
It is important that anyone driving in Dubrovnik understand the unknown factors, such as the roads are not super highways. The coast road is a lovely drive and I do it every other week, down to Orebic to visit family. Without stopping it usually takes the good part of an hour and half and I know that road well. Only last week we had another rock slide onto the magistral just before the new bridge. The traffic was tied up the entire day as they cleared the debris.
This past September was very busy, our visitor count was the same as August. October has always been one of the best times to come to the Dalmatian coast, it's never crowded.